Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
ArrayAnimay

PS3 controller to work on Steam games?

Hey there everyone!
I am rather new to the whole Steam system and I'm looking forward to trying all the games on here, but I have a small problem.

Recently I got told I can use my PS3 controller to play games on my laptop, which was fantastic news! (not so much a keyboard player). I got a piece of software called JoyMotion to connect my controller and it all works fine, the controls work when I test them out but when I try to play a game on Steam (currently playing Limbo) the controls don't work at all no matter what I try.

Can someone please help me out if there's a way to make it work because I hear it works fine for XBOX 360 controllers.

Thanks for reading! (:

Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
R5CYA

Banned
i read something about making ps3 controllers work the other day. they even had a link to a site to download the needed files. i think it was in the fallout forum, but i cannot find it now that i need it!
R5CYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
R5CYA

Banned
i didn't find the post, but i found the company that has what you need to make it work.
http://www.motioninjoy.com/
R5CYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
ArrayAnimay

Yeah I managed to download it and it works just fine but when I try to play a Steam game the controls just won't work ):
Old 11-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
djiezes

I use my ps3 controller with some games also (Batman Arkham Asylum among others), with the same thing: MotionInJoy.

Not all games work, but one thing that usually does the trick is to simulate the xbox 360 controller. The Fifth option "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator".
This because a lot of games do support the xbox 360 controller on pc.

If it doesn't work straight away, I click on Enable & go look in the option to check whether the analog stocks work alright.

I hope this helps.
djiezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
ArrayAnimay

I'm checking through all the options now. Looks like when I test it all looks good apart from the use of the analog sticks, they don't seem to be working when I test them. Any ideas?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
djiezes

Make sure to click enable.
And I'm not sure, but I use a USB cable, I don't connect through bluetooth.

Maybe follow this guide step for step : http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-p...ndows-7-vista/

But do use xbox360 emulator mode for most games. That's all I can do to help I'm afraid.
djiezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Archer Kane

I don't necessarily have a solution to your problem, but I was just wondering: Have you tried using a keyboard and mouse? I used to do PC gaming on a laptop too. Keyboard and Touchpad was a pain in the ! But I got used to it overtime - afterwards when I would use my friends Gaming PC I felt so liberated whilst using the mouse.
Archer Kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips