Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series

Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
OmegaRed60

Easy solution to play Dead Space 2 without DLC already unlocked

Just take the CD key from your Steam copy and register it to Origin. You can now download it from Origin and it will start with no DLC.

I did this myself just now to verify it and all I saw when I got to the store was the basic suit I had to pay for. There was one free refurbished plasma cutter, but that was unlocked when it detected that I owned Dead Space 1. Besides that, no DLC.

I don't know if it unlocks when I complete the game, but even if it didn't I can just download through Steam when I'm ready to play the DLC.

I hope this helps people who want to play the game without DLC unlocked.

Last edited by OmegaRed60: 11-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Solid Sawyer

Why don't you just ignore the unlocked DLC?
Solid Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
OmegaRed60

This is ignoring the unlocked DLC.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
arfWignack

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed60 View Post
Just take the CD key from your Steam copy and register it to Origin. You can now download it from Origin and it will start with no DLC.

I did this myself just now to verify it and all I saw when I got to the store was the basic suit I had to pay for. There was one free refurbished plasma cutter, but that was unlocked when it detected that I owned Dead Space 1. Besides that, no DLC.

I don't know if it unlocks when I complete the game, but even if it didn't I can just download through Steam when I'm ready to play the DLC.

I hope this helps people who want to play the game without DLC unlocked.
Cool. Thanks for verifying that this works. It was my impression you should be able to do this, but wasn't sure.

This makes it an interesting and bizarre state, where Steam users have a different game than Origin users.

(I cannot personally accept using Origin, because of their heavy handed approach, but kudos for making another option available.)

IMO, this is the best way to play DS2. You only get one chance to see and play through things for the first time, and the DLC spoils what is otherwise a nicely balanced game.

Then, after you've played through, you can dink around with the DLC and the handcannon, and the other add-ons for extra fun.
arfWignack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
OmegaRed60

Hey arfWignack, I have to give you credit for the idea since I got it from your thread. I wouldn't have even known to try this if it wasn't for you.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
ratniP

Thanks for this solution. I'm DL-ing it directly from Origin right now. I truly hope the first store will be blissfully spam-free.

Oh, and thanks Steam for making me waste 10GB of bandwidth... >
ratniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
OmegaRed60

If you started a save file with the Steam version, you may want to completely remove it first before playing on Origin. You may somehow transfer the DLC from the Steam version unintentionally.

I hear Origin scans you PC to check if you have saves for other EA games, but I'm really not sure.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
ratniP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed60 View Post
If you started a save file with the Steam version, you may want to completely remove it first before playing on Origin. You may somehow transfer the DLC from the Steam version unintentionally.
Wow.. didn't even think of that. Thanks. This is eerily like trying to remove a particularly malicious virus.

No. Scratch that. It's even worse. Folks who pirate the game and get a Trojan probably have a much easier time with cleaning the game up and then playing it properly then folks who legitimately buy the game and then have to suffer through this completely unnecessary nonsense.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Stixsworld

I gotta ask could an owner of the steam version of the game give their cdkey to a frend to use on Origin on their account on there all the while you the steam version user can still play your copy 100% fine via steam?

---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
L7R

Million thanks for this!

Issue I found: I just downloaded Origin and hit dead space 2 play button because I couldn't find any install button there. Instead of starting to downloading, it just tried to start steam! Go figure!

Then I got error message saying something about error in steam. So I uninstalled Dead space 2 from steam and started origin-software again. Now there is an INSTALL button and it started downloading.

Dead space 2 saves can be found on MyDocuments\EA Games\Dead Space 2. I removed those just to be sure everything is fresh from the start.

Now i'm waiting fingers crossed how this is going to end.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
ratniP

Just reporting that this Origin workaround works great. I reached the first store and it is blissfully junk-free - just a single item is available, a suit costing 1000 credits.

I'm still astounded by the Valve's idiotic decision to distribute the game in a broken DLC-infested state, but I'm extremely happy that the fix still exists. Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Mogan

^Why do you think this is Steam's fault? Wouldn't EA, as the publisher, be making these kind of decisions?
Mogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
arfWignack

Yes, just to clarify what happened-

1) Game is released, all first day buyers like me get the unpatched, no DLC game.
2) We played for awhile, a couple of weeks I think.
3) EA released a patch for the game with the embedded DLC, and fixes bugs with suit unlocks at the end of the game.
4) Valve patches their version to match, as it's an official release.
5) Now everyone is stuck with all the DLC, the only way around it is to revert the original exe.
6) Months later, EA pulls their patch version, leaving Origin to match the retail copy, with no DLC or patches.
7) Valve does not push out this reversion.

So, bizarrely, only the Steam version now has this patch.

I give EA some credit though, they were trying to do a nice thing by providing free DLC that cost $15 on XBox. It's a great little perk, especially for a second play through.

My only complaint is in how they did it. It should have been done through the in-game DLC redeem code, then everybody would have won- the people who like and want it, the people who want to play it as originally designed, and even the 2nd time players who want to play through with extra toys.

It was the heavy handed, forced upgrade that was the problem.
arfWignack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Stringbean

Once you've registered the game on Origin, and downloaded it, could you not copy the "original version" .exe from the Origin instal folder, and paste it into the steam instal folder in order to disable the DLC in the steam version?

I bought DS2 the other day during the sale, but haven't installed it yet, so I haven't been able to check.
Stringbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
OmegaRed60

Steam games have their own .exe. I haven't tried it myself, but most likely, Steam wouldn't launch or automatically overwrite the Origin/retail .exe with the Steam one.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series