Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
puffincat

My advice, and it's just my opinion: when the game's ready, release a free demo.
puffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
dave_

As an average casual games player, I would be willing to buy your game if it was on Steam and appealed to me, but not if it was a stand-alone PC title available only from your site. That's the difference it makes for me - and for you. The difference is a purchase based on my preference of background platform and the knowladge that the game is legitimate to warrent it.

As a lover of steampunk games, it is already looking great to me as-is, so yes, please do put it on Steam. You don't even have to charge much. You can get your profit by ramping the price up 300% for Australian buyers.*

*A joke, but at the same time, not.
dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Satoru

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

Look at the steamworks FAQ to see how to submit games to Steam and how you can integrate various Steamworks components into your game. Note the game should be in a playable form and near final before submitting to Steam.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Scorcher24

I don't even know what type of game this is, but I want it on steam .
That looks awesome. Steampunk ftw.
Reminds me of Arcanum.
Scorcher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
careface312

Get your game noticed is the only advice I could really give. They only ever seem to add indie games/studios that already have a following.

Get active on twitter/reddit
Try get featured by indiegames.com or totalbiscuit (and also spam rockpapershotgun!)

Basically just normal PR hype stuff. If the game is good it'll get on steam.
careface312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
plastic_teacup

I've come to really enjoy indies between their creative variety and low price point.

Things I personally look at when deciding on an indie game:

An interesting, unique product of course.
Devs addressing issues/offering patches & updates quickly.
Devs having active community participation on the forums.
Offering a demo.

To a lesser extent I personally think the game having a website and social presence (Twitter, Facebook), having professional game reviews floating around online, and perhaps participating in an indie bundle also helps give it legitimacy.
plastic_teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
HoosTrax

If it's a well-developed game, I'm sure Steam would be interested in hearing you out.

I'm sure indie devs would love to see Steam become more open as far as accepting more games. As a Steam customer, I absolutely DO NOT want to see everybody and their mother be able to instantly get their game on Steam without passing an approval process. Otherwise we have a game catalog filled with worthless garbage like XBLIG is.

Generally the types of indie games that seem to get accepted on Steam are ones that have either started out as XBLA/XBLIG titles and have gotten good reviews, or ones where the devs have put forth a big effort in promoting the game at places like gaming conventions. Sending an e-mail with a review version to places that PC gamers like to visit like RockPaperShotgun and PCGamer is a start.

RockPaperShotgun in particular is very good about featuring previews of indie games currently in development, but you should be far enough along in the development process that you have a playable demo or YouTube video showcasing gameplay.

Above all though, get more press buzz -- the "Press" section of your website is completely empty right now and that's no good. High visibility seems to be key in getting Steam approval.

Last edited by HoosTrax: 11-29-2011 at 09:37 AM.
HoosTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
TheDarkChaplain

From the first looks, this seems to be a game I'd be really interested in. If you get it done and it's gonna be available on Steam, I'll surely play it.
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
TJF588

May also wanna try Desura.
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
TwiggyTwink

Banned
Wow, it looks hella fun!

Pillars of Ice... nice screen shot!
TwiggyTwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #26
CoS_Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher24 View Post
I don't even know what type of game this is, but I want it on steam .
That looks awesome. Steampunk ftw.
Reminds me of Arcanum.
It's a Unity-powered browser MMORPG,f2p too. Haha, back in GDC China,people said it reminded them of Diablo, but we amazed them with a 2 megabytes downloaded content.
CoS_Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #27
CoS_Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer Kane View Post
As many have pointed out, Steam do a very good job in promoting Indie games. Games like Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac, Orcs Must Die (and many more) all have become huge on Steam. They tend to promote indie games using either applying achievement system into said indie game and putting the game in the 'limelight' in the Featured PC games section on the front page.

Steam IMO is a great way to 'inject' instant interest into a product. It has access to many gamers, plus there are many who exclusively get PC games providing it is available on Steam. Looking at the game in your link I'm quite certain it will do well on here. It fits in line with a few other games that have big communities.

I hope you do release it on here, I'd love to play it.
Hopefully, we may contact Valve when we reach Open Beta stage.Luckily, we found that Steam provides support for F2P games this year. Thanks for your interest, bug-fixing is close to the end, and we'd love to see gamer inputs and make them effective.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eek! View Post
For me indie releases on Steam are just as important as those big releases.
I agree.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
CoS_Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
I agree.
YEAH, and I believe that Steam always offers equal chances for Indies (even they are small). Thumbs up for f2p support again, it's an great opportunity.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #30
CoS_Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosTrax View Post
If it's a well-developed game, I'm sure Steam would be interested in hearing you out.

I'm sure indie devs would love to see Steam become more open as far as accepting more games. As a Steam customer, I absolutely DO NOT want to see everybody and their mother be able to instantly get their game on Steam without passing an approval process. Otherwise we have a game catalog filled with worthless garbage like XBLIG is.

Generally the types of indie games that seem to get accepted on Steam are ones that have either started out as XBLA/XBLIG titles and have gotten good reviews, or ones where the devs have put forth a big effort in promoting the game at places like gaming conventions. Sending an e-mail with a review version to places that PC gamers like to visit like RockPaperShotgun and PCGamer is a start.

RockPaperShotgun in particular is very good about featuring previews of indie games currently in development, but you should be far enough along in the development process that you have a playable demo or YouTube video showcasing gameplay.

Above all though, get more press buzz -- the "Press" section of your website is completely empty right now and that's no good. High visibility seems to be key in getting Steam approval.
Yeah, great suggestions, thanks a lot, we will definitely contact RPS, and our first trailer was released. In terms of the website, we are still working on it, and will add contents as soon as possible.

Last edited by CoS_Ethan: 11-30-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips