Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
overload9344

why is skyrim connected to steam?

why is my game connected to steam? i bought a physical copy for the simple fact that i wanted it in no way to be connected with steam. if i wanted it like this, i would've just bought it digitally and not wasted my gas going to pick it up from the store. if i didn't have internet i wouldn't even be able to play it even though i had the disc in my hand. it's bullshit if you ask me.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
johnmmay

I couldnt agree more.

Bypass steam by running "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\TESV.exe"

John.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
St3veebee

I wish it wouldn't keep counting my hours as well.....reminding me of my lack of life
St3veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
clarkeyboy

It only connects with Steam if you add the code to Steam.

Why do people get so up their poopers about DRM anyways? OMG IF MY INTERNET IS DOWN I CANNOT PLAY!?!?!?!?!?? - So? go make home made bread or something.
clarkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
noodlesoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeyboy View Post
It only connects with Steam if you add the code to Steam.

Why do people get so up their poopers about DRM anyways? OMG IF MY INTERNET IS DOWN I CANNOT PLAY!?!?!?!?!?? - So? go make home made bread or something.
You need to add the CD key to steam to play anyway, unless you pirate it ofc.

Why hang round a skyrim board if you obviously dont own the game? hmmmm
noodlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Lowlightt

Quote:
Originally Posted by overload9344 View Post
why is my game connected to steam? i bought a physical copy for the simple fact that i wanted it in no way to be connected with steam. if i wanted it like this, i would've just bought it digitally and not wasted my gas going to pick it up from the store. if i didn't have internet i wouldn't even be able to play it even though i had the disc in my hand. it's bullshit if you ask me.
Game box says requires internet to play (check the box)
Full system requirements for The Elder Scrolls V
Oct-25-2011

Probably the biggest RPG of the year, it would be a rare gamer who has not heard of the Elder Scrolls V or Skyrim. The game is due for release in only a couple of weeks and the excitement is building fast.

A few minutes ago the Skyrim system requirements were announced and one of our awesome visitors clicked the link in our GD news feed at the top of all our pages to let us know. THANKS Fierow! Lets take a look at those Skyrim specs...

Skyrim Minimum System Requirements

CPU: dual core 2GHz

RAM: 2GB

HDD: 6GB hard disk space

GFX: DX9c video card with 512MB RAM

OTHER: Internet Access for Steam activation

Skyrim Recommended System Requirements

CPU: quad-core Intel/AMD

RAM: 4GB

HDD: 6GB hard disk space

GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB

GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher

Audio: DX compatible sound card

People like you who don't even read up on what they are buying is whats ruining the industry.
Lowlightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
Mallorn666

I thought it was common knowledge Skyrim uses Steam.
Do some investigation befor buying something.
Like you were or are used to check if you meet the system requirements, check drm as well.
Even the retail box tells you it needs Steam.
Mallorn666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Lionheart_Law

Agreed, it says it. I ordered it online. A physical copy. I can't register it on steam. Not where I'm at. Granted, yes, I didn't know it required steam until I received it. I have nothing against steam, or anything against registering a game. The only issue I have with it, is the issue I brought up in a previous topic, about not being ABLE to register it because my lack of internet connection on my personal computer.

Being deployed pretty much eliminates my ability to play any game that -requires- an internet connection. I.E. Splinter Cell Conviction, which, it is already registered, just can't play it here.

Some people have unique situations that the new generation of gaming doesn't support. It's just a roll of the dice, sometimes. Patience, for me, will reward.

-Lawhorn
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
Lowlightt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart_Law View Post
Agreed, it says it. I ordered it online. A physical copy. I can't register it on steam. Not where I'm at. Granted, yes, I didn't know it required steam until I received it. I have nothing against steam, or anything against registering a game. The only issue I have with it, is the issue I brought up in a previous topic, about not being ABLE to register it because my lack of internet connection on my personal computer.

Being deployed pretty much eliminates my ability to play any game that -requires- an internet connection. I.E. Splinter Cell Conviction, which, it is already registered, just can't play it here.

Some people have unique situations that the new generation of gaming doesn't support. It's just a roll of the dice, sometimes. Patience, for me, will reward.

-Lawhorn
Um don't buy things you can't run? (on an unrelated sidenote thank you for keeping our country safe)
Lowlightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Krownleth

Steam and Skyrim can be used in Offline Mode.

edit: here i checked even out how it works....
first Get steam if you have allready install skyrim like here over CD
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

now move your As* and your PC to a buddy or someone who have internet ..get the latests patches and Register the game until everything runs....
Restart Steam client in Offline mode.
Always stay in Offline Mode you can play Skyrim now anytime everywhere with or without internet.

what you dont get in offline mode
- No achievements (if you give a fu** about)
- No patches.

Last edited by Krownleth: 11-29-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Krownleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
sirflimflam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlightt View Post
Um don't buy things you can't run? (on an unrelated sidenote thank you for keeping our country safe)
If you actually understood what he said you'd know that he wasn't aware of the Steam requirement until after the fact. Lack of due diligence to be sure but a new requirement for Bethesda games. Most people assume single player games will just..work. It's an assumption that bites more and more people as we move to an fully internet connected world.
sirflimflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
clarkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesoup View Post
You need to add the CD key to steam to play anyway, unless you pirate it ofc.

Why hang round a skyrim board if you obviously dont own the game? hmmmm
You cannot be that smart. You can clearly see my steam achievements which means I own a legit copy.
clarkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
sirflimflam

Quote:
Originally Posted by --EUTHANASIA-- View Post
A lot of us don't care for steam. I for one can't stand anything requiring me to connect to it to "Allow" myself to play a bought game, and whats worse, with their included advertisements, background services and more.

They do a good job for those interested in steam, but for those of us who are not, we don't have much of a choice. Considering this game is standalone without steam, and with, I can't see why this will hurt anything.

Here ya go.
--REMOVED--
(just unzip to your directory containing the startup launcher, when asked to overwrite, do so^^).

Hope it helps!
Steam is Skyrim's form of DRM. Posting that link will likely get you banned.

Also you can disable the advertisement nag that appears when you open steam and close games in the steam options.
sirflimflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
ironclawx

Quote:
Originally Posted by overload9344 View Post
You should have read the box before you buy it. It's not as if they secretly sprung it on you.

Your fault. If you didn't agree to it, shouldn't have bought the game.

Keep crying though. With any luck you'll get yourself banned, and no more Skyrim at all.
ironclawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
Brownee

How is this even a shock, and why is it a bad thing. I said the same thing to my dad when he bought it on his account, Damn near every PC game is running on Steam these days, and just play it offline! It's not like it prevents you from playing during an internet failure or anything...
Brownee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V