Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
iamkewl

Banned
Why is worship of Talos banned?

I'm not sure if this is explained in the game, but if it is, I missed it. Didn't he create the empire? Why is no one allowed to worship him?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
TigerPlushie

It was forced by the Aldmeri Dominion after they've assaulted the Empire. They demanded it as a token of good will from the emperor and the emperor cracked. Think this was called the White-gold concordat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UESP Wiki
The White-Gold Concordat was a treaty signed in 4E 175 between the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion that ended the Great War. The conditions of the treaty outlawed the worship of Talos in the Empire, formally disbanded the Blades, and delivered a large portion of southern Hammerfell into the control of the Aldmeri Dominion. Despite the Empire's pyrrhic victory, Emperor Titus Mede II made these concessions to the Thalmor hierarchy in order to give the Imperial Legion time to recover its strength, as it had been decimated in the Battle of the Red Ring.

The Redguards of Hammerfell, however, refused to accept the terms of the White-Gold Concordat, and continued to resist the Thalmor. This forced Titus Mede to officially renounce Hammerfell as a province of the Empire in order to preserve the peace stipulated in the treaty. Viewing this as a betrayal, Hammerfell became an independent state, and managed to fight the Dominion to a standstill, culminating in the signing of the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai five years later in 4E 180, which stipulated that all Aldmeri forces withdraw from Hammerfell. Hammerfell thus became an independent, if devastated, nation. Diplomatic relations between Hammerfell and the Empire remain strained, an outcome that Legate Justianus Quintius postulates was a long-term goal of the Thalmor.[1]
ps.
Argonians and Khajiit homeworlds overrun and made slaves, empire attacked and stirred. Those Dominion high elves are MAYOR D***S!

Last edited by TigerPlushie: 11-30-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Correcting factual errors LIKE A BOSS!
TigerPlushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
vashts1985

it is explained in the books.

short answer. in the hundreds of years that passed since oblivion, the highelves attack the empire and defeat them. they offer peace, though one of the major terms of peace is to stop worshiping talos, because he was born a mortal and should not be considered a divine. the terms were accepted, and this caused many nords to hate the empire (as Talos was a nord and a hero in the eyes the nordic people)
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Synavix

Someone can probably explain more thoroughly than I can, but essentially what happened was that after the Great War the elves forced the Empire to sign the "White-Gold Concordant" stating that Talos would no longer be worshiped by anyone. This was due to them feeling that it was wrong to worship a mortal "god" with what they viewed as the "real" immortal divines.
Synavix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
real4xor

Those blödy elfs. Just ask them.
I think there`s a few in Markath, in the Keep. Spying on the Jarl.

In Whiterun there`s a priest of Talos. And he can give a few details too.

And there`s a few books about it.

^^ how about making that a sidequest; figure out some lore.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
TigerPlushie

So, wait. Elsweyr and the Black Marshes have been overrun by the Altmer, the Empire roughly managed to somewhat keep them at bay at high costs, hammerfell becoming a struggling sovereign nation, morrowing being devastated by an erupting volcano and now skyrim being the chessboard for some epic war?

World's going down th s**tter, I say!
(darkened sections need further research)

Wait, so Argonians attacked Morrowind? And Khajiit are actually allied with the Aldmeri Dominion?

GAH! THIS GAME'S POLITICS ARE SO CONVOLUTED, I FEEL LIKE PLAYING A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by real4xor View Post
^^ how about making that a sidequest; figure out some lore.
I like this, lore-related quests are a nice thing.

Last edited by TigerPlushie: 11-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Donatti

The question is, how are the Elves so powerful anyway?

The Empire was supposed to have the strongest army in Tamriel, probably in the whole Nirn.
Donatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Remus Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPlushie View Post
So, wait. Elsweyr and the Black Marshes have been overrun by the Altmer, the Empire roughly managed to somewhat keep them at bay at high costs, hammerfell becoming a struggling sovereign nation, morrowing being devastated by an erupting volcano and now skyrim being the chessboard for some epic war?

World's going down th s**tter, I say!
That's why the Dragonborn is here to fix things. Nobody needs a hero unless the outlook is bleak, right?
Remus Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
KuranesDreamer

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatti View Post
The question is, how are the Elves so powerful anyway?

The Empire was supposed to have the strongest army in Tamriel, probably in the whole Nirn.
They also used to have a good Emperor. Since Uriel Septim VII's death, they haven't had a good Emperor.
KuranesDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
wratho

One of my favorite random encounters is the group of elves I can come across who don't appreciate my Talos worshipping ways. I take particular glee in offering Talos their lives in blood sacrifice at the end of my blade.
wratho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
phillibl

Short Answer: Talos was only a mortal man and therefore should not be worshiped as a god
phillibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Alavard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillibl View Post
Short Answer: Talos was only a mortal man and therefore should not be worshiped as a god
Shorter answer: elves are pricks.
Alavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
KuranesDreamer

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillibl View Post
He was a mortal man, whom the other 8 Divines made into a God.

The elves simply don't like the idea of a non-mer race ascending to God-dom. If Tiber Septim had been an Altmer, do you think the Aldmeri Dominion would ban his worship? Hell no. They'd revere him the same way the Nords revere him now.

Personally, I think the Thalmor are like religious extremists who ignore parts of their religion. If you believe the other 8 divines are the true gods, then you HAVE to accept Talos as a divine, as well; because Talos would not have become a God if not for the other 8 divines in the first place.

However, the more the series goes on, the less I believe that the divines are even real. Think about it: You never talk to them, you never see them; but you can encounter other beings with God-like powers, whom some people worship as gods, such as the Tribunal and the Daedra. Not to mention
Spoiler:
Talos isn't in Sovengarde
KuranesDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
TigerPlushie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavard View Post
Shorter answer: elves are pricks.
Well, HIGH elves. I remember from Oblivion, that they were considered rather snobbish. Plus, if they managed to shake the empire they're obviously a force not to be underestimated.

The Bosmer seem to stick to themselves and are less controversal (well, except for their RELIGIOUS CANNIBALISM) and the Dunmer, albeit being of questionable background themselves are just poor saps who pretty much lost their homeworld. Plus, their younger women are known to be quite easy. :P

Don't take anything you read grated, I suppose. There's more to anything anywhere else...

Last edited by TigerPlushie: 11-30-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Cha0s_St0rm

One of the priestesses in Whiterun (? i think its W/R but not 100% sure) has an option for this exact question. Ask her.
Cha0s_St0rm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V