Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
B3nj4mn

Freezes at Startup

Hey community!

I just bought Morrowind GOTY from the steam store to play on my college laptop.

However, the game freezes right before the intro movie begins to play (right after the game loads from the play menu). Anyone else encountered this problem / knows how to fix it?

I'm running it on my school laptop (t420) it has a NVidia NVS 4200M graphics card. (It runs games like SC2, Fallout New Vegas, and Half Life 2 just fine).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
usernamed2008

+1 here

I'm afraid I'm seeing this too, I have an identical laptop to you with the same graphics card. This is beginning to smell like a problem with the driver supplied with the graphics card, or the graphics card itself...
usernamed2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
usernamed2008

I've updated my graphics driver to the latest nVidia beta driver, rather than the version approved by Lenovo, and tried forcing the app to run with the integrated graphics instead of the nvs4200m. However, still no joy. Given that both gfx adapters fail, it might not be the graphics driver after all.

Is there anybody else out there with Morrowind on a Win7 64-bit machine, and can they confirm they're able to run Morrowind ok? Anyone else with a laptop with an NVS4200m might be useful as well.

I've tried disabling sound in the morrowind.ini file in case there's an audio driver issue, but still no luck.

I'd love to play this game again, but like the original poster, I'm finding that I get the Bethesda splash screen, and then a mottled brown background at which point the game hangs and nothing but a Ctrl+Alt+Del will bring me back to Windows.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
JustRed

win7 64bit and no problems. All I can suggest is try running as admin or something
Do remember though that new drivers arnt necessarily better...
JustRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
JustRed

OH oh oh
brainstorm
Try disabling steam community in game
JustRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
usernamed2008

Hi,

Thanks for the response(s). I've tried both of the things you've suggested. Unfortunately, still no joy.

I find it suspicious that the only other person who posted with this problem had exactly the same laptop. It makes me think that there's something specific with the combination of components/drivers in the Lenovo Thinkpad T420 that is causing an issue.

Unfortunately the app doesn't crash, it just hangs, so there isn't even an event to look at in the Windows Event Viewer.

Again, thank you for giving me a couple of extra suggestions!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
ktchong

Same problem here. Seriously, I've only joined Steam recently, and bought a few games so far. I've experienced nothing but troubles. I've bought games from GOG.com before, and have rarely had so much trouble. STEAM IS REALLY STARTING TO jarate ME OFF.
ktchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
2disbetter

I too have this problem (am trying to bump this to the front for some help). I have read else where that it required certian codecs to be removed and a few additional programs to be installed in order to help remove these codecs.

I'm not installing anything additional to run this game. Has anyone figured out how to get this to work? I've tried disabling sound in the ini file to no avail. Any and all help is appreciated!

2d
2disbetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III