Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Daisy666

Credit Card Hack ... Is this the start?

Hi All,

Firstly, I'm prepared to admit this may be coincidence, but I think the Steam hack is the most likely culprit.

My credit card was held on the Steam servers during the hack - Steam was the only online site that I held credit card details on.

I've had this same credit card number for 9 years, and never been subject to a fraudulent charge. I've had multiple concurrent credit cards for almost 20 years, and never had a fraudulent charge on any of those cards. I take my financial security (and my PC security!) pretty seriously.

Today I got a phone call from my bank with some suspicious charges (I live in Ireland, all these charges were internet transactions in US dollar currency):

An initial charge of roughly 3 pounds

Followed by the equivalent of about 100 pounds

Followed by the equivalent of over 1000 pounds

Now the bank allowed the initial charge (which I believe was the test that the card was still active), but flagged the other two charges and sent me an automated message to my mobile.

The card has now been cancelled and the report sent to the police (though I doubt anything will come of that).

So friendly advice - as per the original Valve communication - you should check your credit card statement.

If this is related to the Valve hack, they have broken the encryption on my card details. They may or may not have others...
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
kjath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy666 View Post
Hi All,

Firstly, I'm prepared to admit this may be coincidence, but I think the Steam hack is the most likely culprit.

My credit card was held on the Steam servers during the hack - Steam was the only online site that I held credit card details on.

I've had this same credit card number for 9 years, and never been subject to a fraudulent charge. I've had multiple concurrent credit cards for almost 20 years, and never had a fraudulent charge on any of those cards. I take my financial security (and my PC security!) pretty seriously.

Today I got a phone call from my bank with some suspicious charges (I live in Ireland, all these charges were internet transactions in US dollar currency):

An initial charge of roughly 3 pounds

Followed by the equivalent of about 100 pounds

Followed by the equivalent of over 1000 pounds

Now the bank allowed the initial charge (which I believe was the test that the card was still active), but flagged the other two charges and sent me an automated message to my mobile.

The card has now been cancelled and the report sent to the police (though I doubt anything will come of that).

So friendly advice - as per the original Valve communication - you should check your credit card statement.

If this is related to the Valve hack, they have broken the encryption on my card details. They may or may not have others...
very sorry to hear that. thanks for the warning, i'll definitely have to check mine now.
kjath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Tailcracker

I'm Quite lucky I didn't save my details to steam. It sucks having your credit card hacked, it has happened to me before too. Luckily the money was charged to a gaming site, and they refunded me when I contacted them.

I hope you get back any money you lost!
Tailcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
iviv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy666 View Post
I don't have any credit cards, but don't they work the same way as debit cards, they have an expirey date a couple of years after issue, and after they expire you get sent a new card with a new number?
iviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
polecya

Banned
My American Express charge card was hacked too, almost 5,000 spent at a store called "Thomas Pink" the charge was obviously denied (got a call from amex fraud) and I was sent a new card with a new number.

Thanks Steam!
polecya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecya View Post
My American Express charge card was hacked too, almost 5,000 spent at a store called "Thomas Pink" the charge was obviously denied (got a call from amex fraud) and I was sent a new card with a new number.

Thanks Steam!
That's too bad. You would have gotten some nice shirts from Pink

Well at 5k I think you would have gotten maybe... 20 shirts from there. But they are very nice!

Also what is the big deal? Your cc company detected the fraud, and sent you a new card. Pretty much exactly what is supposed to happen. To be honest I'm surprised Amex even picked that up as fraudulent, since again spending 5k at Thomas Pink isn't actually the 'weird'. My Capital One card practically rings off the hook if I try to buy gas when I go back home to my 3rd world, crime ridden, terrorist regime of..... Canada.

Last edited by Satoru: 12-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Eek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecya View Post
Thanks Steam!
Why are you so sure it was to do with Steam?
Eek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Ace42

I'm assuming Paypal transactions are proofed against the possibility of fraud, due to the transaction occuring on their site?
Ace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eek! View Post
Why are you so sure it was to do with Steam?
Maybe because of this.
Steam was the only online site that I held credit card details on.

Now if nothing ever happened in all the years he had his card,then steam gets hacked and now his card got used.
Then do the maths,it don't take a genus to work it out.
T@F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Ace42

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
Then do the maths,it don't take a genus to work it out.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Last edited by Ace42: 12-02-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: More relevant
Ace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
The chances are much greater that the card was compromised at a local retail/store/gas station/etc... than from anywhere on the Internet.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
polecya

Banned
I have had this card for about 2 years now and this is the first time I have ever had to change the card number due to some fraudulent purchase. I run nearly $450,000 worth of expenses every year through this card (automatic recurring bills such as home phone, mobile, tv/internet, and house payments). It was such a pain to change all of those numbers again to match my new card number and I was even charged late fees (although all of them were reversed but required time on my part).

Oh yes it is easier to say that "oh yea with all my purchases it could have been compromised somewhere else" but why does it occur AFTER the fact that Steam got hacked and information got leaked? Did the criminals know that I buy games through Steam and WAITED FOR THE EXACT MOMENT THAT Steam got compromised to shift blame from the retail stores to the Steam incident? Highly improbable.

What ever happened to the highly appraised "security" implemented on the sensitive information?

THANKS STEAM! Sure you admitted that you ed up as soon as you were compromised but where is the compensation to your customers? At least Sony gave their customers SOMETHING and even provided some identity protection, by ALLCLEAR if I recall correctly. Is Steam truely sorry for the inconvience that they caused their consumers or do they just give the appearance that they are sorry?

For redundancy purposes I want to thank Steam for the inconviences they have caused DUE TO THEIR INCOMPETANCE.

THANKS STEAM!
polecya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
epicphail

I think my card might have been compromised also I have a $55 charge that I never made and it happened about a week after the hack.
epicphail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Russian Bear

To be fair, PSN was down for ages.This obviously affected how they dealt with the situation and the choice to compensate customers or not. But yea also keeping a close eye on this. Steam should atleast acknowledge publicly that people are reporting fraudulent transactions.
Russian Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Thundergod

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviv View Post
I don't have any credit cards, but don't they work the same way as debit cards, they have an expirey date a couple of years after issue, and after they expire you get sent a new card with a new number?
Yes that's exactly how they work. Not going to call the thread starter a liar but that did sound suspicious to me too.
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion