Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Song!

Thumbs up Hand-to-Hand in Skyrim

Hi guys!

I thought I'd make a thread about Hand to Hand since it's by far one of my favorite (if not my favorite) weapon 'skill' in Skyrim at the moment. I wanted this thread to be about theorycrafting our characters and other suggestions and tricks to make your H2H character successful and enjoyable in the endgame.

So far I'm a level 30 Khajiit H2Her and my only real disadvantages that I face so far are ice and lightning mages and mobs with shields who are really overzealous blockers. Obviously the key to fighting the mages is to build up magic resist but I'm still trying to figure out how to punch through shields. Any advice on this would be well appreciated.

So far I haven't found any of the one or two-handed perks that synergize with Hand to Hand. I tried the dual wielding damage and speed perks but neither did anything for unarmed combat. I also highly doubt any of the damage perks help H2H but perhaps the stamina reductions ones do.

So anyway, post your comments and suggestions here and hopefully we can make a solid sub-community of Skyrim's fisters!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
overload9344

there's a perk to increase unarmed damage in the heavy armor tree when wearing heavy gauntlets and/or full heavy armor.
overload9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
TriviumHTF

FUS ROH DAH target. Punch target while on the ground. Repeat.
TriviumHTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overload9344 View Post
there's a perk to increase unarmed damage in the heavy armor tree when wearing heavy gauntlets and/or full heavy armor.
Obviously for these characters to work you need Iron Fist. I also use the Khajiit's +15 to unarmed racial bonus as well as the Unarmed damage boost enchant that you get from some special gloves in the Ratway.
Song! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Deathsyt

Iron Fist + Khajiit + Marked For Death + Alchemy = Win.
Deathsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
DarkJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song! View Post
the Unarmed damage boost enchant that you get from some special gloves in the Ratway.
You can put this on a ring, as well as the arm slot. So if your Enchanting is high enough, disenchant the gloves and stick it on your hands and ring to double that bonus.
DarkJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Interstate116

Question

Alright guys,
I've yet to play Skyrim as my computer is not up to the task right now, but I really want to get started on a hand2hand character ASAP. It was by far the most fun fighting method in Oblivion, and I'm sad to see that the developers aren't taking it seriously any more, but I digress. I had a few ideas that I was hoping to share that you all might be able to shed light upon. The first is that everyone says to def. go heavy armor because of the fist of steel perk/ you'll have extra weight-room in your inventory due to not using weapons and shields. Poo-poo on that idea. I'm going to try light armor. The question I have is if it is possible to to use h2h with one hand and use a shield with the other. I'd like to max out light armor, beat on people with one hand, and shield bash people when they attack me. It's silly, but what I want. I would do away with the shield entirely if the blocking perks were possible with just your hands like in Oblivion. Unfortunately in the block skill-set every perk mentions a shield, which wasn't true for oblivion. So to sum up:
1: do block perks work when blocking with hands?
2: can you use a shield while hand2handing with the other?
My thoughts after this are that I'm going to put all my perks in destruction, restoration, enchanting, smithing, and alchemy to have the best stuff. Thoughts/questions/concerns? Apologies if I've asked any stupid questions; I'm still looking forward to firing it up for the first time.
Interstate116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
agent0kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate116 View Post
Alright guys,
I've yet to play Skyrim as my computer is not up to the task right now.
We have 3 PCs in the haus. One is a Wal mart special from 2006. I stuffed a GT440 in it and 4Gb of RAM and it runs Skyrim pretty well on low/medium settings. Its a single core. Unless you got a ridiculously slow single core CPU and GPU from 1998, you should be able to run it. And it runs on Vista.
agent0kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
AshyProcyon

You cannot block with your hands. If you have nothing equipped in the left hand, you only do left handed fist attacks with it, and it is not possible to block with the right hand.
There is a mod to introduce blocking when dual wielding, including unarmed: Dual Wield Parrying. I haven't tried it, but I keep thinking about it...

You can use your fist plus a shield, I believe. I can't remember actually trying it at the moment, but I do not see why not.

There is Way of the Monk to introduce a sort of perk system for unarmed, and unarmored, as well as skills for both.
It also provides a one- or two- handed unarmed "weapon" to quickslot, which is nice. Also, claw/knuckle sort of weapons which count as unarmed.
I have yet to get very far in using it, just from playing other characters with other focuses, but I definitely mean to go all-out in unarmed at some point..

I do love the hand-to-hand killcam moves. I also had a blast with hand-to-hand in Morrowind.
There doesn't seem to be much that compliments it in vanilla Skyrim, however, which is a shame.
AshyProcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Interstate116

Thanks Ashy, and agent0kevin it isn't about system requirements, but rather a faulty graphics card in my laptop, which I believe is irreplaceable.
Interstate116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V