Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Bob_Smith

Steam won't detect installed games

A bit of a problem I just started having a few days ago. Steam no longer detects my games (besides tf2 and terraria).
I can play ACR by just going through the exe from inside the game folder itself so I know the files aren't corrupt.

GTAIV, ACR, TF2, and Terraria are the only games I have installed through steam at the moment

I've tried reinstalling steam and just placing the steamapps folder back in once I've logged in but there wasn't any change.

I suppose if all else fails I can redownload and reinstall the games it won't detect.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Technogeek1994

Did you already try renaming ClientRegistry.blob in the Steam directory to ClientRegistryOld.blob, then restarting Steam?
Technogeek1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
In addition to the above, try verifying the integrity of game cache files.

In Steam, right click on the game, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache.

This will cause Steam to scan for the existing game files (provided that they are in the correct location) and redownload any corrupted files.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Bob_Smith

I've already tried deleting the .blob file and deleting everything but the steam.exe and the steam apps folder.

I would have tried verifying the game cache like you suggested but the thing is steam doesn't detect the game as installed so the verify button is grayed out.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Are you absolutely certain you are logged in to the correct account? We see this a lot when folks have logged in to the wrong account.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Bob_Smith

Ah.. seems I've solved it.
Was going to just redownload the game instead of bothering with it but instead of downloading it's just slowly going through the game files.

So yeah sorry guess it was a pretty simple matter.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
SirGCal

Fine for one-by-one games, but I have over 300 titles of which half roughly are installed.. I just did a re-install and my STEAM and games are loaded on another performance HDD so they were unaffected. Once starting steam (it had to reinstall), it's only seeing about 30 of my titles. I even tried to go into the web portion and install a ton from there, but it's not working either. I have to do the OMG, so painfully slow, right-click and install and wait... wait... wait... for each title... while it detects the existing files...

Comeon, there has to be a faster way. Cause I can even go directly to the EXEs of most of them and say go and they play just fine...
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Rteas4

You can try opening steam and going into Settings then to Downloads and adding a directory to the STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS.
Rteas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
darkfighter101

I know im a bit late...

For future generations, I found out the cause of this problem. The Steam client was searching for games in your default C: drive only, not your extra "Game" drive. To fix this problem, you need to add a directory path. In the Steam client, go to steam-settings in the upper left hand corner, go to Downloads, and content libraries. From this point on tech savy people would know what to do. Add a library directory, save changes and the games shall appear magically in your library. Stop panic, because you don't need to reinstall your games one by one. Start playing.
darkfighter101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips