Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
mittenhank

Question Can you SHARE steam games?

My friend doesn't have skyrim on steam, and said that I could login on his computer and download it on his computer and then I can log out and he can login on his account and play. What is the legal status of this, and is that possible?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
jenovaweapon

Banned
No, each game as a single CD key tied to one account.
jenovaweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Edeslash

Games are account bound. He could only play it when he's logged in with your account.

I have no idea if it's allowed. Probably not.
Edeslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
sarid

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenhank View Post
My friend doesn't have skyrim on steam, and said that I could login on his computer and download it on his computer and then I can log out and he can login on his account and play. What is the legal status of this, and is that possible?
the legal status of this is if valve sees you doing this you lose all your games

under the ToS it clearly states that sharing the account is a huge no go

i do wonder though how one gets skyrim for the pc with out it being through steam if it is a legit copy though...
sarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Dreadjaws

Not only it's illegal, it's also not possible. You can download the game with your account all you want, but it won't appear on his unless he purchases the game, even if the files are there.
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
mittenhank

Ah, ok thank you guys! Glad I didn't agree yet, or else I would get all the games removed. I shall try to kindly reject him....
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
wildfire678

No need to reject him, by all means let him try it BUT in no way give him your password (and make sure it's not stored in his PC either).

He'll discover that he's been misinformed and it's not just you being selfish.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
BrainOfSweden

Also if he plays with your account, you can't, as you're automatically logged out from your computer if you log on to a new one. So unless you're in the same household, there's little point in sharing accounts. Sharing accounts within the same household is allowed, even if they (Valve) keep quiet about it. Anything else would be stupid as many games offer more than one save slot, and forcing everyone in the household to buy the same game would be downright stupid (even if some game devs do this).
BrainOfSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
wildfire678

BrainOfSweden,

If you read the original post you'll see that sharing an account wasn't the question.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
BrainOfSweden

Sorry. I started writing and forgot to finish. When I was going to, I obviously had forgotten what the OP really was about xD
BrainOfSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Ichirou

To answer the actual question originally asked:

You're free to go on his computer, login, verify Steam Guard, and download Skyrim, however, unless he actually uses YOUR account to play, he won't be able to open Skyrim. Simple as that.

As per the whole legality issue of sharing accounts:

I've had this discussion before, and incidentally in another Skyrim-related thread. VALVe doesn't care if you share accounts. As long as the original account owner doesn't send in a ticket or complain that their account has been compromised, they're not going to stalk you to make sure you're doing something against the Terms of Use or anything. They don't have the time to watch over each and every single account to make sure they're not sharing them.

Sure, it's "technically" against the rules to share accounts, but that rule was only put into place because people would report that their accounts were stolen or compromised, and would deny sharing their accounts, so VALVe needed a firm measure in order to watch over this issue.

VALVe will only take actions if somebody reports that an account has been compromised. Using the same analogy I used in the discussion before, it's similar to your friend borrowing your car to drive because his broke down and he needs to desperately get somewhere. Can he legally drive it? Probably not. Will the police care? Probably not until you call into the police and say that somebody stole your car, or that your car is missing.
Ichirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
wildfire678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichirou View Post
it's similar to your friend borrowing your car to drive because his broke down and he needs to desperately get somewhere. Can he legally drive it? Probably not. Will the police care? Probably not until you call into the police and say that somebody stole your car, or that your car is missing.

I don't know where you're from Ichirou, but here in the UK if you aren't a legal driver (Valid License, TAX, MOT & Insurance) the police certainly would care, whether the owner reported it stolen or not.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Ichirou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire678 View Post

I don't know where you're from Ichirou, but here in the UK if you aren't a legal driver (TAX, MOT, Insurance) the police certainly would care, whether the owner reported it stolen or not.
Same thing here too, but that is dependant on whether the police catch you or not.

But in this case, we're referring more to police who aren't actively checking.
Ichirou is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips