Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
karmatrash

PC Upgrades.

I'm upgrading my motherboard, RAM, and CPU. I made some decisions based on prices, details, and reviews. As this is my first major upgrade, I'd love any input anyone has to offer.

I purchased these:
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128523
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231426

Will pair with:
- Intel i5-2500K
- OCZ ZS series 650watt power supply

I have an NVidia 9600GT from the original build. Will I need to upgrade my video card as well? If so, I would prefer not to spend over $300, but less would be great.

I saw this on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130661

Would this work well for my build? And will I need more than 650 watts to power this? I'm totally open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any insight, I appreciate it!

Last edited by karmatrash: 12-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
sagelink001

If you want to get the GTX 560, you may as well go for the newer model with 448 cores instead of 336-384, such as the eVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Classified - $299, which is right on your $300 budget, or the eVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 FTW Edition - $289.

However, if you want to save a bit more cash, then I would probably go with MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin-Frozr II - $244

Just my two cents...

Last edited by sagelink001: 12-08-2011 at 09:48 AM.
sagelink001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
karmatrash

I think I'll go with that Classified for $299. I also see Amazon is offering free shipping on it. Thanks for the input, appreciate the reply!
karmatrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
djiezes

That sounds like a good build.

Do think about the MSI Twin Frozr version of the GTX560. It's very silent & very cool, which is a good thing. The one with 448 cores might be worth it, depending on the price difference with the usual 384 core Ti one.
Also notice that the one you linked, only has 336 cores. This will make a difference. And since you seem to be upgrading to game, you won't want to skimp on your GPU. Read some reviews on these & benchmarks on the games you'll likely play.

Also think about a third party cooler, it would be a shame not to overclock that 2500K.

650W will be more than enough.
djiezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
karmatrash

Thanks for the feedback! I'm considering my options a bit more. I just did some reading on the GTX 570, and I think I'm going to revise my budget a bit since the price difference isn't enough to cry about.

Am thinking about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130593

Great advice, going to check out a third party cooler as well, didn't think of that. This will be my first adventure in overclocking with these upgrades, so the more advice, the merrier.

Thanks, again! I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Aulex

If your looking for cpu fans i would suggest the tower 120 extreme
I have the older one and it is a beast of a cooler, but the downside is that it's huge, i mean really big, you have to make sure your case fits it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835154011
Its around 60 bucks, now if you want to spend less and get the oh so popular Hyper 212+ for about $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
It's definately not as good, but it'll suffice with cooling and decent overclocking.
Aulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
djiezes

Just a sidenote on the third party cooler:

I see the RAM you already bought has tall heatspreaders. So choose your cpu-heatsink accordingly. There might be some clearance issues between ram & cpu-heatsink.
For example, my ram (Corsair Vengeance) has tall heatspreaders too & my cpu-heatsink (Scythe Mugen 2 rev b) touches the ram-heatspreaders, which isn't ideal.

The easiest solution would be to get low-profile ram instead, but since you already bought it, you should look for a cpu-cooler that will not cover your ramslots.

Also, try to orient your choice based on preferences. Meaning: if silence is important to you, opt for a silent (and performant) cooler. Some beasts can be quite noisy. There's always some trade-off between cooling performance & silence.
I love my scythe mugen 2 rev b, but I don't think they sell it anymore.

Btw, overclocking with the i5-2500k can't be easier: you just change the multiplier from the standard 33x to 40x for example to reach 4ghz.
(My 2600K runs at 4.4Ghz (so 44x multiplier) and very silent & cool, within a huge safety margin both temperature-wise & voltage-wise.) For the 2600k it was kind of the sweetspot performance/power-consumption wise.
Just read some articles on overclocking a 2500K. There are tons and you'll learn alot on the factors you need to weigh.
djiezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
karmatrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulex View Post
If your looking for cpu fans i would suggest the tower 120 extreme
I have the older one and it is a beast of a cooler, but the downside is that it's huge, i mean really big, you have to make sure your case fits it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835154011
Its around 60 bucks, now if you want to spend less and get the oh so popular Hyper 212+ for about $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
It's definately not as good, but it'll suffice with cooling and decent overclocking.
That 120 extreme is killer. Looks awesome, but googled up the dimensions on it, and it looks like it'll be too big for my case, unfortunately. I'm going to look into the Hyper 212+, though. With all these upgrades, I may just go ahead and get a bigger case and go all out. Thanks for the feedback, helped me out loads in hunting around for a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiezes View Post
Just a sidenote on the third party cooler:

I see the RAM you already bought has tall heatspreaders. So choose your cpu-heatsink accordingly. There might be some clearance issues between ram & cpu-heatsink.
For example, my ram (Corsair Vengeance) has tall heatspreaders too & my cpu-heatsink (Scythe Mugen 2 rev b) touches the ram-heatspreaders, which isn't ideal.

The easiest solution would be to get low-profile ram instead, but since you already bought it, you should look for a cpu-cooler that will not cover your ramslots.

Also, try to orient your choice based on preferences. Meaning: if silence is important to you, opt for a silent (and performant) cooler. Some beasts can be quite noisy. There's always some trade-off between cooling performance & silence.
I love my scythe mugen 2 rev b, but I don't think they sell it anymore.

Btw, overclocking with the i5-2500k can't be easier: you just change the multiplier from the standard 33x to 40x for example to reach 4ghz.
(My 2600K runs at 4.4Ghz (so 44x multiplier) and very silent & cool, within a huge safety margin both temperature-wise & voltage-wise.) For the 2600k it was kind of the sweetspot performance/power-consumption wise.
Just read some articles on overclocking a 2500K. There are tons and you'll learn alot on the factors you need to weigh.
Awesome, thank you! I'm going to measure around in my case to see what I have to work with and keep this in mind.

I'll try to find some cooling that will compensate for the RAM size. I may just return that RAM and get some low-profile instead, as I'm still within the return policy on them. Either way, thanks for pointing this out - made me do some research on the matter and consider more options.

Googling up some guides on overclocking the CPU now, thanks! Really appreciate all your feedback. Making my research and shopping a hell of a lot easier

Last edited by karmatrash: 12-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems