Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
notavirus.exe

Upgrade fresh install

Anyone know if it is possible (or how hard it is) to do a fresh install using windows 7 upgrade disk.

It was purchased new from best buy. I basically bought a complete pc where my friend took his hdd out, so I bought the windows upgrade and a new hdd.

Geek squad told me its not possible and I have to buy the $200 complete version of Win7 home. Others + my memory told me otherwise.

Hopefully the all knowing spuf'ers and give me a straight answer.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
TeKraken

I thought you had to have a base OS to upgrade to w7, like Vista or XP already on your machine.
That's why it's called the Upgrade version.
Sorry.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
notavirus.exe

So if your hdd mechanically fails and you need to buy a new hdd, are you saying you have to reinstall xp or vista and then reinstall 7?

That seems a bit...dumb to make customers do.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
TeKraken

If you bought the upgrade version, yes I'm afraid so. That's why it is cheaper.

Do you still have the full version of XP or vista?

If you don't:
If you haven't opened it you may be able to take it back and pay the extra for the full version of 7.

Last edited by TeKraken: 12-09-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
notavirus.exe

It just doesn't sound right. I'm almost positive when I built my current PC I bought the upgrade version at the student discount price even though I wasn't upgrading.

As messed up as some of Microsoft's things are, I just don't see them being that bad.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
TeKraken

did you have an OS already on the hdd you used in your current PC? Even if it was swapped out of your old PC you may have had an old OS on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notavirus.exe View Post

As messed up as some of Microsoft's things are, I just don't see them being that bad.
I do, people don't call them MicroShaft for nothing.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
notavirus.exe

Nope, it was brand new out of the WD box, which came out of the UPS box from Tigerdirect.

Oh well, I will give it a try. Worst case scenario is I pay for the full windows after I open the upgrade.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
TeKraken

what's the price difference between the upgrade and the full version?

(if you're not bothered then go for it.)

I would take it back before I opened it and get the full version, but that's me i guess.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

This is the deal. I just did a reinstall of my OS having originally bought the student upgrade for 29.95 for windows 7 way back at release.

According to windows support, yes, you have to have the original OS installed on your computer to use the upgrade. This means you have to do a double OS install to reinstall W7.

However, this is not always the case. I have reinstalled my OS twice today alone (for other troubleshooting hardware problems sadly) with the upgrade disc. I have activated the key twice today, just a regular upgrade key, not technically the full product in certain terms. And yes it works.

It has been reported that this is not always the case. I googled the hell out of this problem after my hdd failure. I even went through a double install process, which sadly did not work. I became frustrated and said screw it, just installed clean and crossed my fingers. And it worked.

There are also reports of a registry workaround for your key, which is perfectly legit and will activate it online without the double install insanity.

So definitely try, just don't input the key or set W7 to automically activate during the install. Wait for it to install and manually input the key after the install.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2u! Tw1TcH View Post
This is the deal. I just did a reinstall of my OS having originally bought the student upgrade for 29.95 for windows 7 way back at release.

According to windows support, yes, you have to have the original OS installed on your computer to use the upgrade. This means you have to do a double OS install to reinstall W7.

However, this is not always the case. I have reinstalled my OS twice today alone (for other troubleshooting hardware problems sadly) with the upgrade disc. I have activated the key twice today, just a regular upgrade key, not technically the full product in certain terms. And yes it works.

It has been reported that this is not always the case. I googled the hell out of this problem after my hdd failure. I even went through a double install process, which sadly did not work. I became frustrated and said screw it, just installed clean and crossed my fingers. And it worked.

There are also reports of a registry workaround for your key, which is perfectly legit and will activate it online without the double install insanity.

So definitely try, just don't input the key or set W7 to automically activate during the install. Wait for it to install and manually input the key after the install.
So are you saying you used an Upgrade version of windows to install a full version of windows (without a base operating system)? Or are you doing a repair installation with the upgrade disk over your already installed windows(which is possible).

The activation isn't the problem, it's the upgrade/full question.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
Gentle

Yes, you can...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html

Gentle
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
So are you saying you used an Upgrade version of windows to install a full version of windows (without a base operating system)? Or are you doing a repair installation with the upgrade disk over your already installed windows(which is possible).

The activation isn't the problem, it's the upgrade/full question.

I booted from the CD, deleted the partition, started from scratch. I did a full, clean install with the upgrade disk without a base operating system.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
TeKraken

SO do you own a full version of (any version of) windows as well?

http://www.sevenforums.com/372152-post38.html

Quote:
Well, Microsoft wants to make it easy to do a clean install with a upgrade Windows 7 for those that have a valid previous copy of Windows, but do not want people violating the EULA license aggreement, or stealing, by doing a clean install with a upgrade and not having a valid previous copy of Windows. Doing the later, can get your product key number permanently invalidated.

Last edited by TeKraken: 12-09-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
notavirus.exe

Personally, I own between 5-7 copies of windows, between xp, vista, and 7. I just don't want to be install things all day.

Thanks guys, that pretty much sums up what i needed in that link gentle
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 AM   #15
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by notavirus.exe View Post
Personally, I own between 5-7 copies of windows, between xp, vista, and 7. .
Lol yeah it's funny how that happens. I still have a 98 one in my cd pack.

Handy link thanks Gentle.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems