Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
keer

Open-World Space game?

Are there any open-world space games out there?
Like getting on a ship, customizing it and doing whatever whenever on any planets, space stations, etc.?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
TheDemocrodile

X-Beyond the frontier, X2 and X3 , brilliant games in the style of elite, check them out if youve got a fair degree of patience.
TheDemocrodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
TheInsaneDump

X3: Terran Conflict and the upcoming X: Rebirth game.

Starshatter: The Gathering Storm if you can find it
Evochron: Mercenary
Darkstar One
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
keer

Cool, I'll check'em out. Any others?
keer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
monkeedude1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by keer View Post
Are there any open-world space games out there?
Like getting on a ship, customizing it and doing whatever whenever on any planets, space stations, etc.?
Spore is kind of like this, though I don't know how much I'd truly recommend it. It's an interesting Gem for maybe a few weeks before its very "Same-old same-old". But you basically design what your ship looks like and fly around planet to planet taking over in whatever way shape or form you're good at.

I'd recommend Eve Online, though I think I know what you're after and Eve is only part of it, and it's subscription based. It's possible to get playing for free on the 21 day trial but it means you'll be following someone else's guide and not truly wandering out and just exploring.

However, It's also about a year away from being exactly what you would want it for; They've recently adjusted it so that players are no longer cramped in their ships, when they dock they can go into their captain's quarters. Before the summer of next year I expect we'll be walking around inside the stations, as is the current plan.

I haven't played the X series of games but they do sound good, I'll also have to check them out based on these people's recommendation.
monkeedude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
keer

Yeah, those are all good.
I dig the idea of just exploring with the ship...

I've had the X Series on the wishlist on Steam, haven't pulled the trigger on those. I just added Spore, maybe wait until a sale to get it.

I recently became aware of EVE Online, the fact that its subscription based turns me off a bit --- but still am interested; still thanks for the help, will definitely research some game-play videos on all the ones mentioned!
keer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
spartan0078

X-beyond is a cool looking game, never heard of it before. Is it more simulator then arcade? I can't stand arcade shooters. If it's got ships it needs to be realistic for me to play.
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
TheDemocrodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan0078 View Post
X-beyond is a cool looking game, never heard of it before. Is it more simulator then arcade? I can't stand arcade shooters. If it's got ships it needs to be realistic for me to play.
from what youve said its right up your alley, combat is very much a secondary to trading, upgrading and exploring
TheDemocrodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
real4xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan0078 View Post
oh it`s realistic, that`s for sure...

But just to make things easier on the players, there`s a timewarp button. Or else it`ll seriousely take you a whole day to fly from one planet to another.
They sure got the "vastness of space" part covered.

Also, the game can be quite disorienting, because... well, there`s no ground, so there`s no focus point for going up or down. ^^ always liked that part about space (combat) sims tho.

But no, it`s not a regular arcade game. It does have quite a learning curve because of that tho.
It`s a really decent simulator.

Last edited by real4xor: 12-09-2011 at 10:34 AM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
TheEditor

Banned
It's a little old, but Freelancer is by far the best space sim i've played...

... Or actually, the only one that could keep my interest. :P
TheEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
monkeedude1212

The thing with Eve online is that it's so open you can do whatever you want; the funny part is that there isn't a whole lot of things that happen that aren't player driven. It is very highly revolving around an economic system that is driven by players with a very accessible market.

In other words, people harvest the raw materials, process them into manufacturing materials, manufacture them into goods, goods get consumed while playing the game, end to end it's all done by players, and you can buy or sell whatever part you focus on throughout the game. For example, One guy might spend his time just mining the asteroids and selling it, because thats where he's spent all his skill points. Decent money, safe job. If he wants to go into the lower security regions of space for the rarer ores, he can.

The next guy comes along and buys his raw materials and turns them into manufacturing materials, and sells them for a small profit. Easy job, easy money, low risk low reward.

The next guy comes along and takes those materials and turns them into Missiles, sells them for a profit.

The next guy comes along and buys those missiles and uses them to expand his corporation's sovereignty.

And that's only one facet of the game. There is their version of "exploration", where certain ships can use scanners to detect certain anomolies not bookmarked by default, and these sites get randomly generated and despawn when cleared. So, remember those rare ores in the low security space we talked about earlier? Someone who specializes in exploration can go around system to system scanning for anomolies, and occaisonally he'll find a site that contains these rare ores in high security space. He can then sell that information off or go tell his friends or keep it for himself!

Eve is really just very very very open. A lot of people get discouraged because there is no direction in which to push you, you really have to make your own goals and design your own fun in Eve online.

Me? I enjoy working the markets like a trader. I buy things when they are low priced, move the goods around to where they are more desired, sell them for a higher price and use that profit to play for free - while I dabble in the other fine things the game has to offer.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
Orko...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEditor View Post
It's a little old, but Freelancer is by far the best space sim i've played...
Except that it isn't really open-world IMO.

For example:
Spoiler:
At one point in the game you cannot progress unless you can win a race and there is no way around the race.
Orko... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
monkeedude1212

Freelancer felt very directed to me. It was about as open world as Thief, or Mechwarrior. Either you were progressing the game or... not.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Ultima V|RUZ

Volunteer Moderator
X3: Terran Conflict is the best so far. I've played Freelancer and it's just basically X's predecessor. X:Rebirth comes out soon, too.

I warn you; you must be patient, intelligent and imaginative to enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=157toXjDH_c

Eve Online is 100% work. If you enjoy paying to work, go for it. Yahtzee did an honest review on the game.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...208-Eve-Online

Last edited by Ultima V|RUZ: 12-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Ultima V|RUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
STEELCITY32

I've heard good things about SPAZ, although I believe you cannot leave your ship.
STEELCITY32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic