Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
nialll

The Belgian Problem- brute on the ball bug (PC)

apologies if this has already been talked about, i looked through about ten pages and couldn't find a topic on it, also i'm new here and don't really know what i'm doing. also sorry if this is way too long, i put a TL/DR at the bottom just in case. anyway, this is what happens to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_vk9MNjEB4

as the video shows, the game doesn't give you enough time to kill the brute before he knocks you off the ball, as you can only open fire when he's 0m away. from what i understand it's because a cut scene is missing, which shows the brute actually getting onto the ball (i did wonder at first who the hell my character was yelling "get off" at), and only affects PC players.

i've read various solutions such as: verifying the game cache to find the missing clip, which, although it said something was missing and downloaded it, didn't work; using the golden gun cheat, which worked on everyone but him; lowering the resolution, which didn't work as i cannot change the aspect ratio from widescreen so it won't go low enough; lowering the difficulty/fully upgrading the rifle and going for the head, all of which i did and have tried but i can still only strip about half his health off at most and it's really hard to aim (maybe i'm just a bad shot, hah), especially when you can't just try again immediately.

One i've yet to try is going on co-op mode, which presumably works because two guns are better than one. if anyone is feeling kind and would like to give about ten minutes or so to help me clear this mission, please let me know as that would be very very much appreciated indeed! otherwise, does anyone know how i can get around this? i'm not fussed about acheivements so i'm not averse to cheating, provided i can turn said cheat off when i've done it.

The only other possibility is completely reinstalling the whole game, which I'm scared to do, as i'm worried i will lose my save files, and it might be that it doesnt work anyway. if anyone knows for a fact that it does work, especially if i can keep my progress somehow, again, please let me know. if all else fails, is it technically possible? should i just keep retrying it over and over until i get him off the ball? i was loving this game until now and i really want to keep going...

TL,DR- i'm stuck because of a bug, does anyone know how to get round it?

thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Hellstrong

its not a glitch as to when you can shoot him, but hes supposed to fall of really soon after you start shooting.
Seems like he just doesnt wanna fall on your game.
Hellstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
ikhrisx

Its not a glitch you just need a better pc :] i had the same problem with my old rig.

this is my new rig:

gtx 560 ti ds
8gb ddr3 ram
4core 3.5Ghz
(no problems what so ever i also play it on Ultra)

old rig:
geforce 8500
3gb ddr2 ram
dual core 2.0
(game ran but it was just way to slow)
ikhrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
TheTurnipKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhrisx View Post
Its not a glitch you just need a better pc :] i had the same problem with my old rig.
It IS a low framerate, but that shouldn't affect the amount of time you have to perform an action, so yes, it's a glitch.

It seems like it would be related to the same timer code that has broken many other Volition titles, like Red Faction and Saints Row 2.

try using a fully upgraded 45, if you can. It delivers a LOT of pain in a short amount of time.

Last edited by TheTurnipKing: 12-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.
TheTurnipKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
IMarwanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
It IS a low framerate, but that shouldn't affect the amount of time you have to perform an action, so yes, it's a glitch.

It seems like it would be related to the same timer code that has broken many other Volition titles, like Red Faction and Saints Row 2.

try using a fully upgraded 45, if you can. It delivers a LOT of pain in a short amount of time.

What kind of low framerate are we talking about? with my old PC having everything low and having 30 fps in open areas but 40 in closed, I never faced a problem like that. It must be a bug as Framerate only affects the speed of the game(frames you see) not the time of an action to be taken.
IMarwanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
TheTurnipKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMarwanI View Post
What kind of low framerate are we talking about? with my old PC having everything low and having 30 fps in open areas but 40 in closed, I never faced a problem like that. It must be a bug as Framerate only affects the speed of the game(frames you see) not the time of an action to be taken.
That's how its supposed to work, yes. However, numerous Volition games have had timer related issues that result in the games not working at the intended speed.

Under Windows 7, for example, Saints Row 2 can arbitarily run anywhere up to 1.5 times the speed it is supposed to, depending on the speed of your CPU in relation to the 360's CPU frequency, which results in a largely unplayable game without a fan-made fix. (Though, in fairness, that port wasn't performed by Volition themselves).
Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Gonville

I had this problem, it seems to occur if your running to game at too high a graphics level (for some reason). Try putting the graphics on "low" and reducing the resolution to the lowest setting. It worked for me.
Gonville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Doob

Quote:
It's both. It's not intended but your frame rate is like 5 fps. That causes problems in SR.
Doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
nialll

Quote:
the 45... is that the pistol? i've also read people saying, for example, "i used the SMG", but sadly the game gives me no choice but to use the rifle. the normal one i have is fully upgraded. i'm currently upgrading the other rifle i have(the AR-55)to see if it'll let me use that instead/if it's any better, though i'm not holding out much hope as i find it hard to use. the only good thing is that by now i can clear the mission up to that point very quickly.

i should correct something from my post, i can change it from widescreen, it's now set on 640x480 i think, with everything set either low, or off, didn't make a difference. occasionally i can get his health to around a quarter but it's still not quite enough. even been experimenting with mouse sensitivity to make aiming as easy as possible.

my pc probably isn't really quite good enough but i can't get a new one... i could barely afford the game. in general it seems to run a little slow but until now it hasn't caused any problems. this just seems too specific a problem to be a general performance issue as opposed to a glitch, though i'm no expert. maybe eventually some sort of patch will appear for it, as it's not like i'm the only one with the problem.

thanks to the people that replied though, any more help is much appreciated
nialll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
TheTurnipKing

For what it's worth, his health doesn't need to drop all the way. I seem to recall knocking him off the ball at round about a quarter of his health remaining.

I think the problem is almost certainly related to timer code because this is an unusual sequence: I don't think it'll be handled as part of the general gameplay, which is why you've probably not seen any problems until now.

So yeah. I think your only option now is to upgrade your guns and try and inflict that damage just a little quicker.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
nialll

hah, guess i'll just have to keep at it then. hoping the other rifle will do the trick. i hate stuff like this in games, it seems like such a minor and unnessecary thing to get stuck on. it's hardly a major turning point in the story, there's only one thing to do and it's do that or die. it just doesn't need to exist. reminds me of those stupid interactive cut scenes in resident evil 4 (i'm a bit behind the times) where if you don't press the right button at the right time, you die and have to go through the whole damn thing again til you get it right. anyhow, ranting aside, i'll keep going and try not to throw my computer out of the window in the process
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
TheTurnipKing

yeah, it's such a throwaway thing at all. It's a shame it's not possible to edit that part out of the mission script.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
nialll

oh god if only! upgrading the other rifle proved a massive waste of time, even not having the normal rifle in your inventory, when you get to that part it changes it automatically. i'm just glad i saved before spending $36000 on the last upgrade!

i still can't do it. it doesn't help that until you can shoot, the aim dot isn't there. i tried marking one on my screen so i could keep his head in the crosshairs even before i start shooting, but tracking his movements is just too difficult for me, i always lose him and too many bullets either go into his body or past his head completely. i'm just not a good enough shot.

i researched re-installing it but once again it works for some and not others, and i'm just not feeling lucky enough to chance it. i really don't know what else i can do until a patch surfaces. it's ruining the game for me, i've been doing activities and assassinations and so on instead, but i'm far too conscious of the fact that i'm only doing these things because i can't actually further the storyline, to really enjoy it anymore

wonder how might be a good way to alert someone that can fix it?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
TheTurnipKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialll View Post
oh god if only! upgrading the other rifle proved a massive waste of time, even not having the normal rifle in your inventory, when you get to that part it changes it automatically. i'm just glad i saved before spending $36000 on the last upgrade!

i still can't do it. it doesn't help that until you can shoot, the aim dot isn't there. i tried marking one on my screen so i could keep his head in the crosshairs even before i start shooting, but tracking his movements is just too difficult for me, i always lose him and too many bullets either go into his body or past his head completely. i'm just not a good enough shot.

i researched re-installing it but once again it works for some and not others, and i'm just not feeling lucky enough to chance it. i really don't know what else i can do until a patch surfaces. it's ruining the game for me, i've been doing activities and assassinations and so on instead, but i'm far too conscious of the fact that i'm only doing these things because i can't actually further the storyline, to really enjoy it anymore

wonder how might be a good way to alert someone that can fix it?
Hmm. Alternatives include trying to get a save file(s) from another player (but that involves replacing your progress with their progress and with no guarantee that you'll not run into another issue later), or finding a mission skip cheat assuming such a thing exists (which would probably involve disabling achivements). Also, i'm not sure whether the flles are transferrable, or whether or not DLC will restrict access to certain saves...

Last edited by TheTurnipKing: 12-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
TheTurnipKing

OK, no promises this will work.

https://rapidshare.com/files/4069377409/remote.zip

A couple of save games (I think, the files seem to be in a weird directory and no way to tell how it'll all interact with Steam Cloud, or whether the game will even accept saves from another copy of the game. Both are different resolutions from just after the end of the "Belgian Problem" mission, just at the start of "Return to Steelport". (Belgian Problem rolls directly into Return to Steelport).

The first save was "Keep the Building", and the later save was "Blow it up". You'll probably want to check Youtube for videos of the mission resolutions.

Good luck.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third