Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series

Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Trine 2 controller config FAQ / how-to

Trine 2 controller configuration FAQ / how-to v1

1. Simple

1.1. Where are keyboard and gamepad binds saved to and how can I modify them?

All binds included are in game's compressed data files and are not directly viewable or modifiable. To make custom modifications, you must first edit the binds in controller config menu. This makes the game save modified version to UserBinds folder under game's configuration folder.

1.2. Where is game's configuration folder?

Games configuration folder is on Windows systems located in %appdata%\Trine2. This usually corresponds to something like Users/johnsmith/AppData/Roaming/Trine2. Easiest way to navigate to the folder is to just copy paste %appdata%\Trine2 to explorers address bar.

On OS X systems configuration folder is in users home folder's Library/Trine2 folder.

1.3. So what are all these files in UserBinds folder?

For every controller that has been configured, there are four files: one for each character and one for GUI. Files are named like "User_Custom_[index_]GUI_Binds_for_[Controller_name][_Controller_ID].txt". Some parts may be missing: Keyboards and mice don't have [index_] and [_Controller_ID] parts. Note that for keyboards and mice there will be separate files.

1.4. Some thumb stick on my gamepad work backwards. How can I fix this?

First you need to use game's Controller Configuration menu and change some binding, so that game will generate user custom binds files to UserBinds folder. Then for each of controller's four bindings files, do the following:

1) Open file and find section labeled [Controller]. It should look something like this:

[Controller]

IDNumber = 1
IDString = Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 [C219046D-0000-0000-0000-504944564944ID4]
ControllerType = 3
ControllerSubType = 6

2) To the end of [Controller] section, add following line:

InvertAxis = JoystickAxis3

If you need to invert more axises, or some other axis than 3, just add more lines and replace 3 with whatever value you wish (numbering starts from 1. Usually left thumb stick is axises 1 and 2, right thumb stick 3 and 4, but there may be triggers or some other stuff there too, or they may be completele different). Note that both labels "InvertAxis" and "JoystickAxis" are case sensitive. Make sure to write them correctly.

Extra: Due to a bug, adding InvertAxis for any character will invert the axis everywhere else too, unless you are using multiple keyboards and mouse mode. There is a fix for this (it is needed for mkam mode, thus enabled there), but we don't want to unnecessarily apply it without some more testing. It will probably get applied at some point though.

1.5. I wish to add another key to jump/move left/something else

First you need to use game's Controller Configuration menu and change some binding, so that game will generate user custom binds files to UserBinds folder. Then for each of controller's four bindings files, do the following:

1) Open file and find section labeled [Bindings]. There should be lines looking something like this:

jump = 1, Button, Undefined, 2
sword = 1, Button, Undefined, 0
hammer = 1, Button, Undefined, 0

This is the long binding form, but we can use shorter and easier to read form here.

2) Add line corresponding to action you wish to Bind. For example, if you wish to make your character jump from "U", add line

jump = KeyU

For gamepads, this could be

jump = JoystickButton3

Last edited by JoelFB: 06-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Fabiano

no files appear in the userbinds folder!
Fabiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
JLarja

Frozenbyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiano View Post
no files appear in the userbinds folder!
Did you actually change some binding? Just opening the menu and changing a controller isn't enough (it is quite ok to change the binding back immediately, so if you, for example, change jump binding to "Y" and then back to "Space", files should be created to %appdata%/Trine2/UserBinds.

If that doesn't work then something is definitely wrong. You should check if the changes you make in Configure Controller menu get saved at all.

-JLarja
JLarja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
claudiu220405

I found another way to make the customisation of gamepad, you can configure any tipe of controller any button in any way at any game that suport gamepads!
Incredible huh?
Unfortunately, I can not put an attachement so if anybody want the files, just send me an e-mail on claudiu220405@yahoo.com, and I will send you the files!
Or if you want you can take them from here, don't pattient about that it is for Fifa 12, it works in any game, you just copy again the files in any game(don't use same files to play more games)
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64900
I used this files and them works!
Have a nice evening everyone!
claudiu220405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Focksb0t

This fix isn't working for me at all.

I tried one from the Trine 2 FAQ that suggested a simple change to the options.txt file, but it only fixes the inverted controller for the wizard. The thief and knight both aim backwards still! How that is possible I simply have no idea.
Focksb0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
_Minsc_

Ok finally got it working on windows 7.
Steps for dummies like me:

-Control Panel
-Appearance and personalization
-Folder Options ( a small window will pop up )
-Here click on view
-And there click show hidden folders
-Apply

Then you can finally see the folder...

Inside the folder User Binds change the wizard and GUI binds (1st and 4th)

[Controller]

IDNumber = 1
IDString = MotioninJoy Virtual Game Controller [3088888-0000-0000-0000-504944564944ID5]
ControllerType = 3
ControllerSubType = 6
EmulatedElement = Pointer, Axis ZDirectionalAxis 2, Axis XDirectionalAxis 3
EmulatedElement = Axis, POVHat JoystickPOVHat 0
EmulatedElement = Pointer, Axis ZDirectionalAxis 5, Axis XDirectionalAxis 3
InvertAxis = JoystickAxis6 <---------- add your inverted axis
InvertAxis = JoystickAxis4 <---------- add your inverted axis

This is easier if you use worldpad, notepad can be a bit messy.

Excuse my english and i hope i saved someone from hours of internet browsing.

Last edited by _Minsc_: 01-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.
_Minsc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
claudiu220405

For me did not work that option with UserBinds, The files appear but only for keyboard and mouse.
The only way is with that files.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
JLarja

Frozenbyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiu220405 View Post
For me did not work that option with UserBinds, The files appear but only for keyboard and mouse.
The only way is with that files.
You need to use Configure Controls menu for gamepad to get user binds files for it.

-JLarja
JLarja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
claudiu220405

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarja View Post
You need to use Configure Controls menu for gamepad to get user binds files for it.

-JLarja
I tried that and I can not chance the controls from menu, if I want to change something in gamepad controls, I can not accept settings or press back, None of them do not work untill I press reset, For exaple I want to change 2 with 3 and then the settings back, If I do this, then I can not accept settings or press back, untill I press reset.
But If i chante keyboard controls, then I have the binds files but only for keyboard and mouse.
Then I used thouse files from x360 and everything work's perfect!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
fluffywumpkins

I don't have anything in my appdata folder... there is a notepad that says Options, and thats it.
fluffywumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffywumpkins View Post
I don't have anything in my appdata folder... there is a notepad that says Options, and thats it.
That probably means that the game hasn't tried to use a controller yet. If you plug one in and go to customize the controls, then the game should create the binds folder and you can edit them.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
goro3d

Sounds to me that the controller\gamepad things have changed since the first Trine is this true?
If so I'm not sure I'm gonna like trying to edit files to get a simple controller to work is there any future update or patch that will fix this issue?
Or is anyone working on one to fix this?
goro3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by goro3d View Post
Sounds to me that the controller\gamepad things have changed since the first Trine is this true?
If so I'm not sure I'm gonna like trying to edit files to get a simple controller to work is there any future update or patch that will fix this issue?
Or is anyone working on one to fix this?
Depends what you mean - for 95% of users I would say the controllers work perfectly without any tweaking. We have a big database of gamepads included with the game that automatically get the right settings. So gamepads like the Xbox 360 Controller and Logitech RumblePad should work perfectly already.

The only time you will need to edit the settings manually is if you use a gamepad that is not very popular (or in other words, is not a gamepad that we have here at the office) or if you have some specific thing you want to change with the behavior (which is rare).

But yes the whole gamepad system was rewritten and redesigned for Trine 2. It should work much better than Trine 1 in general.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
goro3d

had no issue with Trine one but if its the same then that's cool I'll get it running later today meaning I will play T2 for the first time !
goro3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
masteriw

I can't get my controller to work properly no matter what I do. I have one of those PS2-USB hubs you can order on DealExtreme.

Everything works fine except for the right analog stick that is a mess. Left is mapped to up in the game, etc. It's unplayable, especially with the Wizard. I tried the InvertAxis = JoystickAxis3 with several different numbers and it still doesn't work.
masteriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series