Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
mulldrifter

Unhappy [Skyrim] Bugged quests : is there a way to reset/force start them?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a deal with some quests in TESV. Some of my quests won't start/accomplish. For example, one of the "clear out the point from monsters quest" was accomplished before i got the intel about the quest. More alarming, the quest after decoding gallus's notebook simply won't start by talking to the Night Elf girl.

is there a way to make that clear, other than having a brand new save from way before them? i mean, i've been working on my level 100 forge making over 700 weapons/equipments, i'd like not to do that again XD

Thx for any advice

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
JustAnotherFan

http://www.uesp.net/

Do a search on the wiki for the quest your doing and use the SetStage command to advance/start/end the quest. I don't know if you can use it for the Radiant Quests (Read: The Randomly Generated ones).
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
jiminator

ya, see if you can find the quest on the wiki.
It will usually give different numbers for each stage of the quest
from there you type ~setstage questid stage#
It then will say such and such happened and update the quest/pointers
jiminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
JustAnotherFan

Be warned, this is a really sloppy method of fixing bugs and can potentially cause more trouble than it fixes. Though, it's worth a shot if your game is really buggin' out.

Hopefully one day we'll see an Unofficial Patch.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
SiMoNiZoR

Sadly, many of the bugs in Skyrim seem to punish random exploration. If you find a cave, house, etc before you get the quest, a lot of quests bug out.
SiMoNiZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
ocarD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiMoNiZoR View Post
Sadly, many of the bugs in Skyrim seem to punish random exploration. If you find a cave, house, etc before you get the quest, a lot of quests bug out.
Well then im going to be in real trouble. I OFTEN just go wandering around for hours on end finding different places and clearing random caves. This is going to suck later in the game. LOL. At least I;m still having fun.

Oh and good exploring ... out on the ice. Shipwrecks, ore, random caves/shrines, etc. =)

Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Lord Method Man

The SetStage commmand doesn't always work either. I have several quests in my log that are unfinishable, and SetStage did nothing to help it. The console command updates the log to advance the quest but going to the applicable NPC to complete it still doesn't work. Skyrim is just a buggy mess.
Lord Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
tommy_new

I have exactly the same issue, in the same place. I finished hard ansers but had to force it with console and now after 'the pursuit' the follwing quest won't start and the console doean't seem to work for it. The whole thieves guild questline and Riften in general seema to be exceedingly buggu and certainly something that needs attention and fixing!
tommy_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
spectrum999

for me, Skyrim really isn't that buggy, all the bugs everybody seems to have, I don't... if I have one, it's probably because of a mod I added
spectrum999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
RosietheRiveter

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarD View Post
Well then im going to be in real trouble. I OFTEN just go wandering around for hours on end finding different places and clearing random caves. This is going to suck later in the game. LOL. At least I;m still having fun.

Oh and good exploring ... out on the ice. Shipwrecks, ore, random caves/shrines, etc. =)
This is a real quick fix for premature exploration
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9720

Looks fabulous with
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4929

You can still enter an area with a designated quest label, just don't clear it out
Oh, and if you find an item with a specific name (ie Froki's Bow), don't grab it if you haven't first received that specific quest. You can always return later

Cheers

Last edited by RosietheRiveter: 04-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
RosietheRiveter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V