Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
NotYourHero

MSAA or Adaptive MSAA?

Well I tried to research adaptive but all im getting is msaa vs ssaa. I know SSAA is like, powerful enough to throw the earth into the sun, and slows down a lot of games so I will avoid, but is adaptive better over regular msaa?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Zodiark1593

If you're playing a bunch of old games (For me, Tomb Raider 3), then 4x SSAA will really smooth out those games and make them feel new. if you go to more modern games, MSAA provides excellent balance between quality and performance.

As for the Adaptive MSAA, it is a little more thorough, mainly for transparent objects like chain link fence and the like, but still doesn't touch the quality of SSAA. Is more of a performance hog than MSAA due to the additional sampling.

But yeah, running 4x SSAA is about equivalent to running at 8 times your set resolution. 1920 x 1080 becomes 7680 x 4320.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
NotYourHero

Meh I mostly play BF3 and a few other games lately. I was curious mainly the differences and if its worth it. I might try adaptive, see how it goes in a power hungry game. Thanks for the explination.
NotYourHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
IcarusNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
But yeah, running 4x SSAA is about equivalent to running at 8 times your set resolution. 1920 x 1080 becomes 7680 x 4320.
No, it doubles the resolution in both directions, thus 3840x2160. Basic multiplication will tell you this is four times the size of the screen, making for 4xAA.

Though, it doesn't actually render a resolution of that size, so it won't actually quarter your framerate. Which is a shame, because a 4x screen with bicubic downsampling would be sexy.
IcarusNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Zodiark1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusNine View Post
No, it doubles the resolution in both directions, thus 3840x2160. Basic multiplication will tell you this is four times the size of the screen, making for 4xAA.

Though, it doesn't actually render a resolution of that size, so it won't actually quarter your framerate. Which is a shame, because a 4x screen with bicubic downsampling would be sexy.
My mistake. I thought it multiplies each axis by 4. Guess you would need 8s SSAA then for what I stated earlier.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
NotYourHero

What I read was it quadruples your resolution and then scales it down to your actual resolution to give you the most god like picture, but of course your pc explodes shortly after.
NotYourHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
XSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourHero View Post
Well I tried to research adaptive but all im getting is msaa vs ssaa. I know SSAA is like, powerful enough to throw the earth into the sun, and slows down a lot of games so I will avoid, but is adaptive better over regular msaa?
Adaptive AA is basically multisampling applied to transparent textures. In normal conditions, multisampling is never applied to transparent textures. Adaptive AA focuses on transparent textures specifically. If you use Supersampling, you'll use a combo. Multisampling for traditional edges and supersampling for transparent textures. It's simple though, Adaptive AA provides good quality and performance where Supersampling provides great quality at some higher performance hit. Also Adaptive AA has some problems in certain games. For example main menu buttons in Killing Floor are invisible if you use Adaptive AA with it. Using multisampling or Supersampling doesn't cause this problem.

There is also a 3rd option, found on HD5800 and above Radeon series. MLAA. This one is applied as post-processing filter and works on all surfaces, regardless of their type or game engine used. However due to its nature it's not perfect and doesn't always smoothens the edges the best. In some cases it smooths them like 64x FSAA, in others it looks like 2x FSAA at best. But from my experience, performance hit isn't as big as running 24x EQAA, yet it provides far better edge smoothing most of the time.
XSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
masta121

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSS View Post
Adaptive AA is basically multisampling applied to transparent textures. In normal conditions, multisampling is never applied to transparent textures. Adaptive AA focuses on transparent textures specifically. If you use Supersampling, you'll use a combo. Multisampling for traditional edges and supersampling for transparent textures. It's simple though, Adaptive AA provides good quality and performance where Supersampling provides great quality at some higher performance hit. Also Adaptive AA has some problems in certain games. For example main menu buttons in Killing Floor are invisible if you use Adaptive AA with it. Using multisampling or Supersampling doesn't cause this problem.

There is also a 3rd option, found on HD5800 and above Radeon series. MLAA. This one is applied as post-processing filter and works on all surfaces, regardless of their type or game engine used. However due to its nature it's not perfect and doesn't always smoothens the edges the best. In some cases it smooths them like 64x FSAA, in others it looks like 2x FSAA at best. But from my experience, performance hit isn't as big as running 24x EQAA, yet it provides far better edge smoothing most of the time.
Don't forget that Nvidia is adding their post process software FXAA support through the NCPL in the next driver (which is due in the next week).
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems