Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BIT.TRIP RUNNER

Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
Spaqin

Quote:
Originally Posted by god_man95 View Post
You need to be more patient and learn how to play
No.
The problem isn't about that I don't know how to play, because I do. It's the thing about how perfect you must be, because here being late by 0.3s means dying. Plus that it's not rewarding at all, all the levels are almost the same and the music is bad. Sorry.
Spaqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
god_man95

Yes, you have your part of reason, and the bonus is difficult, but for some people it's just pressing space and that's it. Maybe you are nervous when you play.
god_man95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
Stoib

Free with the Humble bundle is nice, theres no way I would intentionally buy this punch-a-wall inducing game separately however. I think my spacebar is half broken now also
Stoib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
AntonioR

This game is so much fun

Yes, it is a bit challenging, that is the whole point of the game. That is why I like it. First set of levels was very difficult for me to beat, but that is because this was a new type of game for me. Later I started playing the game like a boss :P
AntonioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
Ilovevotekickin

Quote:
Free with the Humble bundle is nice, theres no way I would intentionally buy this punch-a-wall inducing game separately however.
+1

but hey, to me all of the other games "came free with Cave Story+". I didn't even bother installing them to be honnest. But Shank looks interesting so I'll give it a try.
Ilovevotekickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Redtide

Forcing you to play through the easy and incredibly boring bits at the beginning (no challenge no music) just to get to the parts that are hard and the music picks up is terrible game design. This is literally the first game I was playing and started to daydream and just quit because it was so monotonous.

The beginning stages are alright because they're short and teaching you new challenges but after that it's just marathon snore-fests that reset you after minutes of gameplay only to make you doing the boring steps to get there again.

This game needs to learn from SMB and VVVVVV.
Redtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
vittau

Well I agree with the OP, except that when you win a level it feels like you've killed your torturers. It feels fu***ng awesome, and that's why I kept playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovevotekickin View Post
+1

but hey, to me all of the other games "came free with Cave Story+". I didn't even bother installing them to be honnest. But Shank looks interesting so I'll give it a try.
Shank is great, especially with a 360 pad. Definitely play it!
And Jamestown is a stellar shmup also.
vittau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #23
Gordon Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtide View Post
Forcing you to play through the easy and incredibly boring bits at the beginning (no challenge no music) just to get to the parts that are hard and the music picks up is terrible game design.

This game needs to learn from SMB and VVVVVV.
That's exactly my biggest problem with it. There's repetitive filler at the beginning of the more difficult levels. Take The Gauntlet (0:05-0:10) for instance. That part at the beginning isn't hard in itself, but it requires perfect timing, and after dying hundreds of times, it started to get to me. No matter how much I thought I had that part mastered, I'd end up dying on it half the time. Instead of practicing the later parts, I was left dying on the beginning part hoping I could get to the later parts to practice them.

I know this is a music game as much as it is a side-scrolling platformer, but maybe they should rethink some of the concepts. They shouldn't let the idea of creating a level that fits to a certain tune get in the way of gameplay and level design. There's a balance that can be had. A lot of the levels get it right, many don't.

(Also damn it, I'm so close to beating the game. I'm on 3-11 now.)

Last edited by Gordon Nukem: 12-18-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Gordon Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #24
god_man95

This game is not too difficult, just you need to be a pro gamer and you need a lot of coordination.
god_man95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
Arantor

FWIW, I found this more enjoyable and actually *less* irritating/demanding than either SMB or VVVVVV, I actually quit both of the other two after a few minutes, this one I've done in between other things and ratcheted up 33 minutes thus far. (For comparison I got frustrated with SMB after 8 minutes and VVVVVV, I didn't even finish the demo for it)
Arantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #26
Gordon Nukem

Interesting. Well, I beat Bit.Trip Runner today, and I can personally say I'd choose to replay Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV any day over this (in terms of which make me rage less).

Good game though and hugely satisfying to finish it. I look forward to the sequel and hope they address the flaws of the first.

Last edited by Gordon Nukem: 12-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Gordon Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
hat

Neanderthals were a separate species.
hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Dr. Irrational

I got this with the HIB, and I came here just to say this. I honestly have no idea why a rational human being would subject himself to this. I played beat, and thought it was great, but this sucks. While I'm not the best gamer, I don't think I suck. I got 20 out of 20 trinkets on VVVVVV, completed most of the SMB levels, and finished megaman 2-4. I failed, and raged, many times while doing this but when I finished it? I had fun.

Last edited by Dr. Irrational: 12-18-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Dr. Irrational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #29
VWR

While indeed this game is challenging and frustraiting I found it not so difficult. No rage quits, no broken gamepads. I finished it two times - on normal and on perfect, now I'm trying to beat all retro challenges in world 3. And it wasn't really THAT hard to get Impetus.Flawless and Tenacity.Flawless Achievements. What was THAT hard is, as I recall, The Kid Level in SMB with me spending about 8 hours to beat only first one! And there is still some levels in Dark Cotton World which I can't beat. I think that BTR is hardcore for sure, but not impossible.
VWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #30
MithranArkanere

With Bit.Tripe beat, if you fail, you get less score, if you fail repeatedly, the screen goes black and white and eventually it's game over.

But in this game instead doing that AS THEY SHOULD HAVE, you are kicked back to the start and forced to start all over again.
That should be optional in both games, for those that want to activate a 'perfect run' mode in the options to retry levels instantly if they have a single miss, but not mandatory.

They MUST change that. And note that I'm not saying "should" I'm saying MUST.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BIT.TRIP RUNNER