Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Frohman :D

Battlelog on STEAM - Run Battlefield 3 through STEAM!

Battlelog on STEAM

What is it?
This is my first fully functioning application written in C#. It is essentially a stripped down Internet Explorer that only loads Battlelog. You launch it, it gives you access to Battlelog (its plugins work!) and it also launches Origin in the background! (You can disable Origin from launching on Windows login!)

What makes it useful?
If you have ever added Origin or a browser to STEAM for overlay integration in Battlefield 3, you may have noticed that when you exit the application you still appear ingame - this is because the plugins used by Battlelog launch their own processes and STEAM assumes these are part of the "game" you added!

My application automatically and quickly closes these applications when it is closed, preventing indefinite in-game statuses. Oh, and you never really have to deal with Origin again!

How do I get it?
To properly get this application set up and running just follow these steps:

1. Install the .NET Framework 4 if you haven't got it already
Download the application, move it to where ever you want it to run from (this can really be anywhere)
3. Disable Origin's "Automatically start Origin when I log on to Windows" option (click the cog icon > Settings > "General" tab > scroll to the bottom) - you could also disable the overlay through the "In Game" tab.
4. Add the application's .exe to STEAM, you can rename it to whatever you wish (e.g. Battlefield 3)
5. Run it, log into Battlelog (you can use the "remember me" checkbox to automate this process, it is much quicker) and install the plugin if prompted
http://youtu.be/07iy-8Ybn5c <- Here's a simple video I threw together showing the 5 steps outlined above.

Your browser is not supported, Soldier!
For now, my application runs on the latest installed IE you have on the computer - if you are getting this message the most likely cause is an out of date (pre IE8) Internet Explorer. Try restarting the application, if that doesn't fix it:
Update Internet Explorer!

I've seen similar applications that don't even need Origin running!
Its entirely up to you whether you use those applications, however keep in mind that anything which bypasses Origin entirely (i.e. doesn't even need to launch or have it running) is very risky territory and I have heard many reports of bans and the like.
The application literally acts like a shortcut for launching Origin and a browser window, and is no different to you launching Origin and your browser by yourself (it just bundles said shortcut in a neat and Steam-friendly package!) - meaning it is entirely safe to use.

User preferences?
This is a new feature which allows you to customise your application. You can add applications (such as Fraps, Teamspeak, Mumble) to the launch list to have them launched and closed with the application, remove Origin from the launch list to disable management of it. You can also disable automatic updating as well as force a manual update. Feel free to suggest more options/features in replies!

Why did you make this?
I wanted to learn C# and I hated how annoying the whole Battlefield 3 on STEAM scenario was. I made it for me and some close mates, then as it gained popularity I re-wrote it from scratch to be more professional and clean.

Bug/suggestion/comment
Leave it in the responses below! I love to hear that people are using my application!
(As of the most recent update, logging is implemented - if you are having issues check to see if there is a "blslog.log" file next to the application, attach that to your reply if so)

But most of all,
Have fun!

To all who are paranoid about these kind of things
Even I would hesitate blindly using an .exe sourced from a forum user in this kind of manner, so to put the matter to rest, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by famdekk View Post
To those who think it is malware, I can assure you it is not.
Frohman has been so nice to supply me with the source code
and I've thoroughly looked through it.

The things this program does are:
- Make a slight change in your registry (which it also reverts back) that is harmless.
- Connect to Frohman 's website to check for an update, and if yes updates.
- Use a bit of JavaScript to make Battlelog function correctly.
- Stop all Battlelog and Battlefield programs when you shut down this program.

TL;DR: It's safe!

Now I know there's going to be people that will say:
"Frohman just made another account to say his little virus is safe!1!".
And you can't know if that isn't true, but if you don't trust the app
then don't use it but DO NOT b*tch about it in his thread.
It's a fine piece of coding and it works. Other people have verified it's safe.

To Frohman : You can quote this is the original post so that people can be assured.
Also, well done!
(See page 4)

And also, leave a reply if you want a link to the source - I'll PM it as soon as I see the reply, as I have for two users so far!

Last edited by Frohman :D: 12-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Mozgus

How do we know this doesnt house a keylogger of any kind?
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Cyphen

Mozgus makes a good point. I think I will stick with just using Origin rather than run steam to run origin to run battlelog to run BF3.
Cyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
ViSkY

"Posts: 1"

This guy looks legit
ViSkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
ChrisL

I'll stick with my Battlelog bookmark
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Teufel9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViSkY View Post

This guy looks legit
and his join date was april...
Teufel9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
lazy6pyro

Source or no download.
lazy6pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
iltsoc

well I looked through the program with .net reflector and it looks clean. nothing obviously sending any passwords.
iltsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
Squallboogie01

I just added both Origin and the Battlefield 3 exe to steam. First I launch Origin, then Battlefield 3, and then I can use the Steam Overlay for BF3 in game.
Squallboogie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
Newbie77

why not just get origin? ea wont bite lol
Newbie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Sokratesz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
why not just get origin? ea wont bite lol
It'll give you a nasty infection though.
Sokratesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
smokes

Just add bf3.exe as a non steam game, it'll automagically launch origin and your browser when you hit play in steam, the steam overlay, screenshot function and whatnot works fine.

I dont see why you would need that application ..
smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
le2key

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViSkY View Post

This guy looks legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel9000 View Post
and his join date was april...
The little smiley face doesn't help him out either.
le2key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
Frohman :D

Alright brilliant, I subscribe to the thread and get no emails notifying that people are actually responding. Great.

Alright, sorry that I haven't replied (I didn't know anyone had replied until 5 minutes ago!).

The program is a wrapper for an IE control, meaning I am not handling the data you put in, a cut-back web browser is all that handles any data that is sent in. The only communication over the internet other than that of the browser is the initial check for updates (which simply polls a text file and compares build time and date).

There isn't much I can do to reassure you guys other than telling you to use a reflector to check for yourself, or to get someone else to do that for you.

Addressing the couple of workarounds that have been mentioned above, (more specifically smokes since his is the most simple); adding bf3.exe will launch Origin in the background, and if you say so, also the browser, but once you have finished playing, if you don't go through and close the browser (if you did not manually open it), the ESN sonar application (which runs in the background) and Origin before STEAM recognizes you've finished playing your game. The whole reason I made this program was to simply this down to as close as a normal game being launched on Steam - launch, play, close.

In fact, I made it only for a couple of mates initially, and since they seemed to find it very useful I decided to release it on some forums that occurred to me, so if you are paranoid (you have every right to be) and don't trust it, then don't download it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphen View Post
Mozgus makes a good point. I think I will stick with just using Origin rather than run steam to run origin to run battlelog to run BF3.
Then you are simply not the kind of person I wrote this program for. You don't regard STEAM as necessary at all with Battlefield 3 - I removed all the steps you described leaving only launching Battlelog through STEAM (Origin etc are handled in the background). I nor many people I knew did not want to have to deal with Origin each time they wanted to play Battlefield 3; problem solved.

Last edited by Frohman :D: 12-29-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Frohman :D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
YeOldeChopChop

mestupid.png

Last edited by YeOldeChopChop: 12-30-2011 at 04:32 AM.
YeOldeChopChop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series