Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
JorgeVdB

Steam on two computers

Hello everyone, I've got a couple of questions I hope someone could help me with!

1 - Recently I bought a laptop. I constantly switch between my laptop and my desktop, and Steam (in browser and in program), asks for a security code because I'm using a "new browser or computer" (even when I'm not) . This gets rather annoying because my Internet connection sucks at the moment. Is there a way to "attach" my steam account to both computers so it just asks for a code if I login on another computer other than these two of mine?

2 - As I've stated earlier, my connection sucks. As a result, most of the times I try to access Steam, I get an error (connection took too long, or something). Ok, I'll just login as offline, and... I can't, because, even if my internet connection sucks and can't access Steam, it still is an internet connection and Steam won't let me use it offline. Is there a way to go to offline mode even if I have internet connection?

EDITED the 2nd question, silly me

Last edited by JorgeVdB: 12-14-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
sosorel

1. That code comes because you have you account VAC secured. You can disable that, but I don't recomand you. I don't know why is asking for a code everytime. I have an account that I enter on it from 2 computers, and asks just once. Maybe your IP adress is changing everytime. Everytime they find a new IP, they ask for a code.

2. Where's the question?
sosorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
TeKraken

1, Mine also forgets sometimes, I prefer it this way as I know my account is safe. (rather than it not asking at all)

2, you need to have any updates downloaded before you can go into off line mode. I think there is a 'sticky' somewhere...

Last edited by TeKraken: 12-14-2011 at 04:43 AM.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
Aeni

Recovering OLD account

Steam is built to run on one CPU at a time I believe
Aeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Nekomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosorel View Post
1. That code comes because you have you account VAC secured. You can disable that, but I don't recomand you. I don't know why is asking for a code everytime. I have an account that I enter on it from 2 computers, and asks just once. Maybe your IP adress is changing everytime. Everytime they find a new IP, they ask for a code.
SteamGuard has nothing to do with VAC. And they don't ask for a new SteamGuard key if your IP changes, if that would be the case, i'd go insane.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
JorgeVdB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
SteamGuard has nothing to do with VAC. And they don't ask for a new SteamGuard key if your IP changes, if that would be the case, i'd go insane.
Well, yes, when I restart my pc, I need a new SteamGuard code, even if I don't switch between computers

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips