Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
iambeanie

Downloading while playing

Hi all! I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but if anyone has been using steam for a while then they have probably encountered this before. When launching any game, including single player only games, steam halts all downloads for as long as you are in the game. Now, there are ways to get it to download while playing (at the cost of the steam overlay and achievements) but i think there should be a way to have it continue downloading while playing. I understand why this would be restricted as it could interfere with steamworks while running and files being accessed could slow down games/cause problems, especially in multiplayer. As i live in Australia (350KB/s MAX) i do have to wait quite some time for games to download and while waiting i like to play some of my other games which, unfortunately, are all tied to my steam account.

Just a suggestion that maybe singleplayer games have the option to leave downloads running through steam or have steamworks disabled so that the game can still launch but no achievements etc..
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Roxor

This has been asked before. Many times. I'll add the link to the "Already asked" thread.
Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Feigned-exis

I have a small little trick for downloading while playing ^_^, yeah t does lag up online games a bit but while your playing a single player game its a dream. pm for more details ^_^.
Feigned-exis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Me2nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feigned-exis View Post
I have a small little trick for downloading while playing ^_^, yeah t does lag up online games a bit but while your playing a single player game its a dream. pm for more details ^_^.
Why are you playing online games while downloading?
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Tywnnvlad

I was wondering about this, I mostly have singleplayers while playing.
Tywnnvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
Yeah, i do believe that should be fixed so the work around to get downloads working whilst in-game no longer works

if category = multiplayer, halt download.

It was not too long back i downloaded Trine 2 demo and i wanted to carry on playing Rochard demo (single player game) whilst i was waiting. Bit of a pain to pause download, launch game, resume download quickly before it enters otherwise alt+tab out and resume.

This in my eyes is one of the couple of faults of steam application, like an integrity check and then suddenly its bleeping at you even when trying to view store as its doing it, its making the user wait around, Library tasks only needs to be stopped really.
Perfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
Andreson

Banned
Agreed
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
cylon

Alt+Tab out, resume download, Alt+Tab back in again.

Now you can idle in peace and STILL be downloading those patches.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
Andreson

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
Alt+Tab out, resume download, Alt+Tab back in again.

Now you can idle in peace and STILL be downloading those patches.
Thanks, i'll give you some rep for that
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Mogh

Yeah, it should pause when starting an online game (or even better, entering the online mode in a game), not when starting a single player game. Even Xbox LIVE does it this way.
Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
wisnoskij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogh View Post
Yeah, it should pause when starting an online game (or even better, entering the online mode in a game), not when starting a single player game. Even Xbox LIVE does it this way.
But with a PC you often are playing games that just barely run, and will lag if you use the extra processor power and HDD usage downloading takes. Now that I know how to download while I play I rather like it. Most Steam downloads are just updates for games I have not played in 6 months, so it does not matter how long they take. In the case of downloads I was waiting for, I can resume them manually.
wisnoskij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
KurianOfBorg

Click "Play" on the second game and it will force it to download that first and in the background while you're playing another game.
KurianOfBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
klamka.357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
Because I have good enough internet connection to download something and play online at the same time without lags?
klamka.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Chaff70

There's an incredibly easy way around to keep the steam overlay too. Run the game you want then alt-tab out and restart the download. Simple. Always works for me.
Chaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
noob3

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaff70 View Post
There's an incredibly easy way around to keep the steam overlay too. Run the game you want then alt-tab out and restart the download. Simple. Always works for me.
Same for me, I'm fine with how it is now because most people can alt+tab these days unless you're using some PoS.
noob3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas