Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Rupert_Pupkin

How to transfer steam games to a second computer

I'm sure there is a URL about this, but I didn't find it in the search. I might be using the wrong search terms. If it has been addressed, can someone post the link?

I usually do my gaming on a desktop, but I recently bought a laptop that I also want to do my Steam gaming on. I downloaded steam for the laptop and am wondering how I can transfer the games from the desktop to the laptop so that I have copies of them on both computers and can use either one for gaming. Using an external HD as an intermediate to transfer the games from the desktop to the laptop would be a lot quicker than having to download all the games onto the laptop via the internet.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Just copy the SteamApps folder over. Log into the correct account.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
venomblade89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post

Really you can do that?! I always used the built in steam back up and restore feature.
venomblade89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Demon Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade89 View Post
Really you can do that?! I always used the built in steam back up and restore feature.
I think backup compresses to help save space for storage. I've never used it.

But yes, you can do that
Demon Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Setarcos

Quote:
I usually just copy the whole Steam folder for a new install, is there any particular reason to just copy the SteamApps one? (Other than a little less stuff to copy?)
Setarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
snapjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setarcos View Post
I usually just copy the whole Steam folder for a new install, is there any particular reason to just copy the SteamApps one? (Other than a little less stuff to copy?)
It's best to just copy steam.exe and steamapps. That way you have a fresh install and don't run the risk of using corrupted files.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Rupert_Pupkin

Quote:
I tried that, and some games work but many do not (esp the games I really want to play like L4D2 or TF2). I downloaded and installed steam on the new computer before I copied/pasted steamapps. I don't know if that is a factor or not.

Maybe I should uninstall everything, then copy/paste the entire steam folder to see what happens.

Or can I just uninstall the games that do not work, and then redownload them and just keep the working games as-is? I have no idea what to do about this issue.

Last edited by Rupert_Pupkin: 12-15-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Rupert_Pupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
snapjak

Any games that don't work, just verify the game cache for each one. That's usually all it takes.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
fuller556

Seriously, use the backup/restore feature. I just finished using it this week to back up all of my Steam games to an external hard drive in case I have a hardware failure or other corruption at some point. Sign into Steam on the computer you want to install a game on, then navigate to the folder where you saved that game and double-click on the executable to begin the installation.

Note that you can assign multiple games to a single backup. I use this if, for example, I also have mission packs or other official add-ons for a game, such as with Quake II. In one backup, I backed up the main game and both of its mission packs. Steam does compress the backup to save space.
fuller556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
Karne123

All you need to do is backup (as in, copy) the folders with the games in them (and, you might have to look around for the saves, since sometimes they are NOT in the game's folder and are in another folder in the main Steam directory (userdata).

Install Steam on your other computer, then stick the folders in the same exact directory as they are on your other computer. You will have to "verify itegrity of game cache" or "install game" to get Steam to realise you have the games there.
Karne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
HoldMyDrink

Is it possible to play the Steam game using another account after it's been copied to another PC?
TF2, for example?
HoldMyDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
AnimateDream

@HoldMyDrink

It should be possible if the other account also owns the game. If its a steam copy protected game the executable will be unique to the user so you'll just have to "verify integrity of the game cache" to redownload it.
AnimateDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips