Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Reynbow

Steam Servers Too Busy To Handle Your Request

The game decided to update a while ago. So I let it.
Since then, next to the game it's had a continuous "Download Starting..." status.

When I try to play the game it Validates all the files, successfully.

Then, after that I get the error message

http://imgur.com/gKq2s

I've tried removing the game, which doesn't seem to work. It just downloads the entire thing again. What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
kttccat

This is a common problem during overload on servers and whatnot. You must remember there are literally millions of people on Steam buying, downloading, and playing games in a frenzy during these sales. Especially this one, due to it being the biggest sale of the year.

Just wait 30 minutes and try again, also try exiting completely out of Steam, and re-signing in. Good luck.
kttccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Reynbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttccat View Post
This is a common problem during overload on servers and whatnot. You must remember there are literally millions of people on Steam buying, downloading, and playing games in a frenzy during these sales. Especially this one, due to it being the biggest sale of the year.

Just wait 30 minutes and try again, also try exiting completely out of Steam, and re-signing in. Good luck.
This has been happening for about a month now.
Reynbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Carrandas

I have exactly the same problem and found no solution so far. The game kept telling me "validating files" and it would not start.

So I deleted the local files and try to reinstall it but I keep getting Steam Servers are too busy, even when other games work fine. Trying to change my zone does not help either. The game is now stuck in "Download started" and sadly, unplayable
Carrandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Duerkos

Same problem here, it has nothing to do with servers overload as I can download other games with no problem at all. Also, it's been happening for 3 days long (or more!) now.

I have not tried deleting the game, but reading the above response, I'm not trying.
Duerkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
cdi_instigator

I have solved this issue.

Solution 1:
Quote:
1. Install Steam on a different computer to the one with which you are experiencing the problem.
2. Access your Steam account from there.
3. Download Orcs must Die!. Hopefully the issue does not reappear by this point. It worked fine for me.
4. Test to see that the game works upon launch. Again, hopefully the problem does not reignite here. Still worked fine for me.
5. Under the "steamapps" folder copy the four ".ncf" files associated with Orcs must Die! and the entire "orcs must die!" folder located in 'common' to an external hard drive.
6. Connect the device to the computer experiencing the issue.
7. Replace all the files and folders associated with Orcs must Die! with the files on the external hard drive.
8. Launch Steam.
9. Launch Orcs must Die!.
This is how I solved the problem for myself. It really bugged me and took many hours to fix, but now it works and I'm happy.

Alternatively you can try the solution provided by the Steam Support service.

Solution 2:
Quote:
1. Exit Steam entirely.
2. Browse to your Steam installation (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\)
3. Rename the "steamapps" folder to "old_steamapps"
4. Re-launch Steam and re-install the game.
5. Once the installation is complete, test the issue.
6. If the issue is not resolved, you can rename the folder back to avoid having to re-install other games.
I have not tried this solution, but based on what I did in Solution 1, this option will likely work. It is probably an easier way of fixing the problem, but it is untested.
cdi_instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
SixOkay

Robot Entertainment
As you can see in the image in the OP, it's a Steam dialogue box popping up. This isn't something we have any control over, and it appears to be an issue on Steam's end of things. Contacting their support is the best way to find a fix.
SixOkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
xen0nex

Thanks, cdi_instigator!

I assume for Solution 2, after successfully installing it, you would proceed as in Solution 1, copying the relevant files back over to the old_steamapps folder, deleting the new steamapps folder, and renaming old_steamapps back to steamapps?

At least that's what I did, and everything works again now. Thanks so much!
xen0nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Cougarific

Guys I'm glad you were able to fix your issues but this sounds to me like the same old "anti-virus blocking key files when Steam updates a game" problem that's been around for a lonnng time.

Just make sure you disable your anti-virus, then Validate Files, then re-engage your anti-virus.

Betcha see the message "Steam failed to validate 2 files, these files will be downloaded and reinstalled" (or something similar). I've had instances where games appeared to Validate successfully but still didn't work as well (before learning about the anti-virus thing).

Keep it in mind if you ever encounter something similar in the future - heck of a lot easier than Solutions 1 or 2.

Last edited by Cougarific: 03-05-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Cougarific is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series