Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bastion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
NoxNoctum
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 14
Posts: 232
Games like Bastion?

What are some good games similar to Bastion?

The things I liked about it were the combat, gameplay, art, story and just overall "vibe".

It's kinda strange because I absolutely hated Diablo 2 and found it very bland but for some reason I LOVED the combat in Bastion. I think the controls may have played a small role in that (keyboard just felt better... just clicking on bad guys on the screen felt lame)

thanks
NoxNoctum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Dr. Irrational
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 12
Posts: 73
I recommend you try out the demo for torchlight. You click on the enemies to attack and move, but the vibe is somewhat similar. And plus, you're not going to lose anything, and it's been on sale so many times that you could easily get it through steam trade.
Dr. Irrational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Me2nice
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 232
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Irrational View Post
I recommend you try out the demo for torchlight. You click on the enemies to attack and move, but the vibe is somewhat similar. And plus, you're not going to lose anything, and it's been on sale so many times that you could easily get it through steam trade.
I disagree; I think Torchlight is a much different game from Bastion, especially when it comes to the music and storytelling.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Bilateralrope
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 176
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Irrational View Post
I recommend you try out the demo for torchlight.
Torchlight is definitely a Diablo clone. Meaning it is a very bad suggestion to someone who hated Diablo 2.

I also don't see how the feel was anything like Bastion.
Bilateralrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Arantor
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 13
Posts: 186
You might find Deathspank worth playing; it has more in common with Bastion than Diablo, though the humour may not be to your taste - and it isn't as story driven as Bastion is, but it's still quite engaging. But it does have much more of the inventory type stuff and more intricate handling of quests and so on.
Arantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Randommer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 55
Posts: 882
Trine? That's quite similiar
Randommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
AgainstYT
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 18
Posts: 137
What? Trine isn't similar at all.

Want a PC game that rivals Bastion in terms of combat, storytelling, music, art, and level design (but maybe not the "vibe", no game matches Bastion in that area)? Then try Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin. Like Bastion, both games are top down view action role playing with far more emphasis on the action. These games were released on PC in Japan only and obviously not available on Steam, but English translation patches are available for both.

Check out this gameplay video to get an idea of what the games are like.


As for games that are available on Steam... Deathspank may be the closest. The combat is similar to Bastion with plenty of weapons, enemies, and button mashing. It also has a vivid and colorful art style. However that's about where the similarity ends. Instead of being level based like Bastion, Deathspank is mission based in a contiguous world, with lots and lots of loot to collect and fetch quests to complete. I thought it got repetitive after a while, but the story and voice acting are fairly amusing.

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light has kinda similar gameplay and combat, what with the overhead view, multiple weapons, level based game design, and hoards of enemies. It also has co-op. Try the demo.

Other than that, can't think of any for PC. This style of game is more the realm of consoles.
AgainstYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
shanghaiedlv
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 13
Posts: 106
I think AgainstYT's suggestion of Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light is about as close as you'll get.

I hated Deathspank for many reasons; namely because the combat felt loose and sloppy. The two may be similar in terms of combat but Bastion's is really much more fleshed out and engaging.

As odd as it might sound, you might try one of the 2 Batman games. I know they don't have the same isometric perspective but they scratch the same itch for me.
shanghaiedlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Sami69
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 315
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxNoctum View Post
What are some good games similar to Bastion?

The things I liked about it were the combat, gameplay, art, story and just overall "vibe".

It's kinda strange because I absolutely hated Diablo 2 and found it very bland but for some reason I LOVED the combat in Bastion. I think the controls may have played a small role in that (keyboard just felt better... just clicking on bad guys on the screen felt lame)

thanks
If you own ps2 i'd recommend dark chronicles/dark cloud 2. On pc there's torchligh, recettear.
Sami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
ShadowHawk81
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxNoctum View Post
What are some good games similar to Bastion?

The things I liked about it were the combat, gameplay, art, story and just overall "vibe".

It's kinda strange because I absolutely hated Diablo 2 and found it very bland but for some reason I LOVED the combat in Bastion. I think the controls may have played a small role in that (keyboard just felt better... just clicking on bad guys on the screen felt lame)

thanks
Never played Bastion but reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy series
ShadowHawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
AgainstYT
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 18
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHawk81 View Post
Never played Bastion but reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy series
Bastion is nothing like Final Fantasy. No long, drawn out, convoluted story. No endless cutscenes. No J-pop. No turn based combat. And besides all that, though you could call Bastion an Action RPG, there's far more action than RPG.

Recettear isn't like Bastion either. The focus is on running the shop, not the combat. The dungeon crawling in that game is shallow and just plain bad really.

Torchlight, Titan Quest, etc are exactly like Diablo.

I've still been trying to think of more PC games similar to Bastion and besides the ones I mentioned earlier there just aren't any. I wish there were.

You might like The Binding of Isaac. Top down view. Unique art style. Multiple weapons, skills, and upgrades. Plenty of action. And it definitely has it's own "vibe". However, thin on story (though the story is disturbing), the dungeons are randomly generated, and the game features perma-death, so it's not really like Bastion at all. Still I really like it. It's on sale right now for $2.49 so what do you have to lose? There's also a demo on a certain website whose name shall not be mentioned, apparently.
AgainstYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
ZombieFever
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 68
If you like Bastion, maybe give one of the Maddens a try?



But seriously, perhaps maybe Beyond Good and Evil or Psychonauts? Both feature unique art styles and have the same sorta zelda-esque character development.
ZombieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
onsamyj
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 6
I myself constantly in search of similar games with sword/shield Zelda-like gameplay.

Try “Spiral Knights”: it’s has shield/sword/gun gameplay, third-person camera, gamepad-oriented controls, cartoony look, RPG elements, and hey, it’s free, so no risk involved!

In terms of art, story, music, “vibe”, etc. – no luck, I’m afraid
onsamyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
Alessandro_gm
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 8
I don't know if there are similar games, but there are games with great art

buy braid and alice madness huum and rayman origins too!
Alessandro_gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Shad0WeN
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 109
Posts: 998
The gameplay and combat kinda remind me of playing Secret of Mana way back when on the Super Nintendo. I could totally envision a Bastion sequel with online co-op play. Now that I think of it..... can anyone say whether Magicka plays anything like Bastion??
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bastion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.