Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divinity II

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
soviet_sharkey

Banned
Holiday Sale is it worth it thread

Looks good and I will try demo but would also like to hear thoughts
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
alexUW

I don't know, but a couple days ago I saw of a vid of this and it looks awesome! Downloading DEMO now! RAWR! Could be my first Holiday Sale Purchase!

Just found this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...lay.php?f=1021

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga has a different forum, I don't know why it redirects here.

Last edited by alexUW: 12-22-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more info
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Booke

I purchased the original Divinity II retail before the expansion that revamped the terrible graphics engine. I recently downloaded the Steam demo but noticed that the engine in that has the exact same issues. Can anybody confirm that either the demo is using the old engine, or the new engine is just as bad as the original? Thanks.
Booke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
KK_reborn

This game is OK, the game's story seems to drop off right near the beginning so you're left wandering aimlessly till you get to the next map.

Also, big tip, you can really gimp your character early on by not putting points into the right categories. So if you're going Warrior, stay within the Warrior Skills. You're going mage, stick with mage skills. Don't make the same mistake I did. I put some points into Priest, Mage, Lockpick and Extra Experience and I'm getting squashed within a minute anytime I encounter a group of enemies. Apparently you can only reset your skills once you are about half way into the game.
KK_reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Illarox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_reborn View Post
This game is OK, the game's story seems to drop off right near the beginning so you're left wandering aimlessly till you get to the next map.

Also, big tip, you can really gimp your character early on by not putting points into the right categories. So if you're going Warrior, stay within the Warrior Skills. You're going mage, stick with mage skills. Don't make the same mistake I did. I put some points into Priest, Mage, Lockpick and Extra Experience and I'm getting squashed within a minute anytime I encounter a group of enemies. Apparently you can only reset your skills once you are about half way into the game.
I find the game amazing. One of the best games I've played.
Also, I didn't focused on something in particular and have skills in all trees and it is no way near weak.
It is a bit hard at first but now I kill everything in a few seconds.
Illarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
KK_reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illarox View Post
Also, I didn't focused on something in particular and have skills in all trees and it is no way near weak.
What class did you pick as your main? I'll need to restart the game with a new character and skills.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
schnitzelhaus83

I liked Dragon Age 1, Baldur´s Gate 1-2, Gothic 1-2, Drakensang, Mass Effect 1-2, Might&Magic World of Xeen etc.
I liked Morrowind.

I hated Oblivion.

I hated Fallout 3 and its follow-ups.

I am not going to buy Skyrim.

I LOVE this game.

All the information you need.
schnitzelhaus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
mkaliaz

Really interested in this game, but the completionist (or maybe OCD, lol) side of me is really bothered that this is a sequel to a game i haven't played. Will I be fine without playing the original? I looked into it and it looked extremely dated. Opinions are appreciated!

Also to the guy above me, I liked Oblivion, loved Fallout 3 and its follow-ups, and absolutely adore Skyrim, so maybe this isnt the game for me?
mkaliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
PandaFraHelvete

I wanted to know if this game is like The Witcher 1
PandaFraHelvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
OilySuperWillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaliaz View Post
Really interested in this game, but the completionist (or maybe OCD, lol) side of me is really bothered that this is a sequel to a game i haven't played. Will I be fine without playing the original? I looked into it and it looked extremely dated. Opinions are appreciated!

Also to the guy above me, I liked Oblivion, loved Fallout 3 and its follow-ups, and absolutely adore Skyrim, so maybe this isnt the game for me?
You don't need to play the first to understand this game at all.
This game is great. This along with Risen are extremely underrated.
This game also has a lot of great moments of humor.

Last edited by OilySuperWillie: 12-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.
OilySuperWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
schnitzelhaus83

@mkaliaz

All the games I mentioned above that I liked, had an common and INTERESTING theme running through the whole game. I am 28 years old now. Having read some statements over the years in RPG-forums, it seems that the community is split up in haters and lovers regarding that matter (resp. Bethesda).

I am on the haters` side. The only genres I have been playing since my beginning as a PC-player, are RPGs and adventure games.
schnitzelhaus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
mkaliaz

Apprecitate the feedback Oily and Schnitzel. I like different opinions, especially if you back up with well thought-out reasons. Also, on an unrelated note, I picked up a lot of your "liked" games recently from GoG and want to get into them soon. Although I have been gaming for 25 years, I somehow missed a lot of classic RPGs.
mkaliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
Illarox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_reborn View Post
What class did you pick as your main? I'll need to restart the game with a new character and skills.
I picked warrior but it doesn't matter - all you get for that is +4 strength and +1 whirlwind. Now I have tons in all of my stats and skills from many trees.
Illarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
KK_reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illarox View Post
I picked warrior but it doesn't matter - all you get for that is +4 strength and +1 whirlwind. Now I have tons in all of my stats and skills from many trees.
But at the beginning, you should stick with all Warrior skills right till at least level 15 right?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
alexUW

Amazon has it for $7.99 [CANNOT be activated on STEAM]
http://www.amazon.com/Divinity-II-Dr...f=pd_sim_vg_20

Been very impressed this year with Amazons sale upsets!
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divinity II