Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
jbuckley673

How to play Civilization V multiplayer Vs PC on Mac ( Latest Update )

Hey there Mac players. I am sure some of you were upset to find out when Civ V updated a few days ago to 1.0.1.511 Mac players could no longer play with PC users, well worry no more, here is the fix for you! =)

Note: Please back up your Civ V folder before hand incase anything goes wrong, but it won't

First open up the info.plist located here:
/User/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V/Package Contents (Right Click it to see that option)/Contents/Info.plist

Next find the following options:
Get info String
FiraxisBuildString
Version with build string

Double click each and change the values to the following:
Get info String: 1.0.1.511
FiraxisBuildString: 262623
Version with build string: 1.0.1.511

Click file up the top and hit save.
Now close that all up and launch your game and enjoy some multiplayer cross-platform =)

Note: I have played two games so far with my brother who is PC, and I was on Mac.
We completed both games with no crashes or problems.

Enjoy!
=)

If you like check out my totally unrelated Music Youtube channel (hehehe) Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/LazyBucksMusic
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
drewjustforyou

is this done on the mac or the pc file?

also, how does one do this on the Mac Operating system Lion? (having that trouble right now)

-edit- from the format you are referring to this must be mac side...
drewjustforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
jbuckley673

Yep its on the Mac side. What problems are you having on Mac Lion?

Let me know and i'l try sort it out for you.
jbuckley673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Yates1968

The one reason my girlfriend and I choose to buy Civ. 5 was because it was listed as 'cross platform'. She has a Mac, I have a PC. Now we can't play it together. I hope this fix works. Thanks for posting it. This has been a bad mark on Steam for me. They should patch the 2 versions at the same time, if they are advertising it as cross platform.
Yates1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
marklight

I guess my only concern is that the PC update fixed a ton of multiplayer issues - this method doesn't really update any actual files other than changing the version number right?
marklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
flyboy371

I have tried to find these files but the Steam folder does not exist in my Applications Support folder. I can't find the actual downloaded game anywhere on my Mac. All I can find is the Aspyr folder in the documents folder. Do you know why Steam is not in the App Support folder, or where it might be?
flyboy371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
flyboy371

Oh never mind, I was looking in the wrong directory. Found it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
jbuckley673

Hey there again.

Glad you found the folder in the end.

Yes there is a issue that the PC patch infact fixes various bugs and this method of mine only tricks the Mac Client so that its possible to play cross platform when in fact the bugs remain.
This can occasionally cause it to crash but if you maintain a healthy game folder ( Clear the cache etc ) then it should be fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
maverick1104

bump to keep this near the top!
maverick1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
CanuckSoldier

Yes I've linked to this post in a post at the CivPlayers forums. Yes this doesn't change the MAC game but it doesn't make it any less stable either. And the more MP players we have the better.

http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?...f&topic=9861.0

CS
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
xxisabelx

me and my friend bought this game together. she plays on mac and i play on pc. the solution in the OP does work however there are some serious bugs.

1) if i save the game for a later date then it wont start when she joins because her version is technically 383 and mine is 511. just have the mac side player save the game and host the loaded games.

2) every once in a while completely randomly the game will say that my friend dropped from the game, when i tell her this over skype she says the game told her that I had dropped. Then we have to restart the game and use an autosave.

3)every once in a while if the AI has played for me a couple turns in the autosave she loads then it breaks the game because the turn wont change. We then have to reload again.

ive read some posts about how aspyr says they are going to fix this. is there any recent news about this? hopefully links that dont 404?
xxisabelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
jbuckley673

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxisabelx View Post
me and my friend bought this game together. she plays on mac and i play on pc. the solution in the OP does work however there are some serious bugs.

1) if i save the game for a later date then it wont start when she joins because her version is technically 383 and mine is 511. just have the mac side player save the game and host the loaded games.

2) every once in a while completely randomly the game will say that my friend dropped from the game, when i tell her this over skype she says the game told her that I had dropped. Then we have to restart the game and use an autosave.

3)every once in a while if the AI has played for me a couple turns in the autosave she loads then it breaks the game because the turn wont change. We then have to reload again.

ive read some posts about how aspyr says they are going to fix this. is there any recent news about this? hopefully links that dont 404?
Heya. Glad my fix somewhat works, I recently became aware of that save game issue too, must put that in my post.
No word on a official Mac Patch as of yet, took them months to catch up with the PCs last version so don't hold your breath mate. Just gonna have to make do with this but at least its playable =)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
AspyrRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxisabelx View Post
The fix would be to release the patch. It's in development now.
AspyrRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
CanuckSoldier

Your point number 2, isn't related to this fix, that will happen in any duel game, with only two players peer to peer games will always indicate the other player is dropping, even if it may be your computer or internet connection that might be the issue.

CS
CanuckSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
flyboy371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckley673 View Post
Hey there again.

Yes there is a issue that the PC patch infact fixes various bugs and this method of mine only tricks the Mac Client so that its possible to play cross platform when in fact the bugs remain.
This can occasionally cause it to crash but if you maintain a healthy game folder ( Clear the cache etc ) then it should be fine.
Ok I changed the values as they are stated, but what do I do with the Aspyr build number in parenthesis. Right now, after changing "CFBundleGetInfoString," it says 1.0.1.511 (101517).
I deleted the number in parenthesis and it worked for awhile, but it keeps crashing.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series