Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
WildDestroyerW

Play Games Offline

I have searched the web for several days now for a solution to Steam's seeming lack of any offline ability and cannot find one. So if I missed it, sorry in advance.

I would very much like the be able to play my games when I do not have an internet connection. In fact it is infuriating that I cannot play Skyrim at home because it MUST launch through Steam. I've been very close to throwing my computer out the window and would have if it weren't for the fact that I have several thousand invested in it.

As you probably know, when you attempt to launch any Steam game or Steam itself, it prompts you to log in. If it can't connect to the server you may retry or go offline. If you click offline, it reports that it still can't connect to the Steam server's. Well no fricking duh.

Is there a way to force Steam to work offline or better yet is there some third party application that could allow me to play my games without having to use Steam in the first place?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
TheBirddisease

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDestroyerW View Post
If you click offline, it reports that it still can't connect to the Steam server's. Well no fricking duh.
This looks like an abnormal error. Usually I'm able to just click "Launch Offline" and it'll let me play all my single-player games despite having no internet connection.
TheBirddisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Offline mode will only work if you allow Steam to save your account credentials (therefore eliminating the need to log in when you run Steam).

More info here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555

Works best if you use the method of selecting "go offline" from the Steam menu, before disconnecting from the internet.

In cases where you do not put Steam offline before disconnecting (such as an unexpected loss of internet connectivity), you will have better chance of success if you completely disconnect/disable any network connections on your computer prior to running Steam.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
WildDestroyerW

My credentials are saved. It usually says "Connecting to Steam account" briefly before failing and giving the indicated options.

So essentially the solution is rather than simply shut down my computer or exit Steam, I am required to anticipate not having a connection and switch to offline mode before moving to a location without internet access. Bit of a hassle, but worth it if it works. Seems to me like this issue could be fixed with a simple patch that tells Steam to go offline when it is shut down. It's seemingly redundant. This software is riddled with bugs I would still prefer to do away with it all together...
WildDestroyerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Ashiya

Old thread but I always have this problem, it's driving me nuts. The only reason I'd want to "go offline mode" is because I have unexpected internet downtime. When I don't I can just use online normally, obviously. Makes no sense at all to have to connect before. But that's the reason I'm buying my digital stuff at gog now. Being dependant on client is silly.
I also don' see any "100% updated" like it's stated in Offline Mode help: "Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)"
There's no "updated" info at all.
Ashiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiya View Post
Old thread but I always have this problem, it's driving me nuts. The only reason I'd want to "go offline mode" is because I have unexpected internet downtime. When I don't I can just use online normally, obviously. Makes no sense at all to have to connect before. But that's the reason I'm buying my digital stuff at gog now. Being dependant on client is silly.
I also don' see any "100% updated" like it's stated in Offline Mode help: "Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)"
There's no "updated" info at all.
It means that you have to verify the game cache for each game. You do that by going to your library, details view, right-clicking on the game's entry, then properties-local files-verify integrity of game cache.
dxmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Ashiya

Steam needs to rewrite their guides then to actually say that.
Not that it'd fix the offline problem though... apparently they don't even realize it's a problem, it's all in our heads.
Ashiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
isamu99

I have two computers....one desktop and one laptop. I have steam installed on both of them. Today I went to Palm Springs and took my laptop with me. My location had no internet connectio at all. So I started my laptop and tried to start Steam. Got hit with a stupid error telling me something along the lines of Steam cannot start because this account does not have any log-in credentials or some crap. I couldn't believe it. I've logged into Steam several times with this laptop without any problems and no, my desktop at home was not turned on. Couldn't start any of my games because stupid steam wouldn't even start.

Terrible terrible problem valve. Please fix it.

Is there some sort of third party application that will allow me to boot my steam games without the client at all?
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
I have two computers....one desktop and one laptop. I have steam installed on both of them. Today I went to Palm Springs and took my laptop with me. My location had no internet connectio at all. So I started my laptop and tried to start Steam. Got hit with a stupid error telling me something along the lines of Steam cannot start because this account does not have any log-in credentials or some crap. I couldn't believe it. I've logged into Steam several times with this laptop without any problems and no, my desktop at home was not turned on. Couldn't start any of my games because stupid steam wouldn't even start.

Terrible terrible problem valve. Please fix it.

Is there some sort of third party application that will allow me to boot my steam games without the client at all?
As already has been said, you need to do a few steps before playing offline, one of them is saving your credentials.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555

And no, there is no app to do what you ask for.
(Also,nice necro here...)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode