Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rise of Immortals

Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #61
foadiron

Banned
Yeah, how I wish it were "get 5 kills" or something. So much better (and admittedly easier.) But it's better than putting lots of players off your game.
foadiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #62
CheeseSandvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDetours View Post
It has always been Supporter.
Oh, my bad.
CheeseSandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #63
indidae

its just like dota2, so yes i uninstalled it too after a hard to get achievement
indidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #64
imunfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by puTTy0 View Post
EDIT: but at the same time I must say: stop complaining, if you played just one complete 5v5 game theres a very little chance of getting less than 10 assists at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthurman9673 View Post
That's a big lie if I ever heard one. I played 2 5v5 matches and was lucky to get 3 assists. If you are playing with 4 other new people then it becomes nothing but blood bath of your own team. I really got tired of having my immortal stand behind ally creeps just to have it automatically chase after an opposing creep straight into an opposing tower. The game should really be called Respawn of Mortals. In order to get 10 assists one really needs to be on a team that has experienced players.
It would have been better if it was 10 kills or assists.

I've played the game before and it's okay - and I breezed through the achievement - but I will say if you stick to your lanes like normal it would be a hard one to get. If you do 3-5 people in a single lane they all should get it fairly easily - but that isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

The other thing people don't realize is that they have to kill creeps and/or stay within range to level up. I played one match where by the end we were twice the level of the entire opposing team - either they were dying too much from our PvP or just didn't understand how to play at all.
imunfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #65
QuintSakugarne

It seems there are two issues people are getting at here:

1. Meta-game problems: Server problems, lag, and the occasional crashing on install. It also doesn't help that the Steam's version is not the most updated version, so after people download over 1 GB of stuff they have to get it patched again before they can play.

2. Bad design of achievement. Seems like people are "trying" to get assists...which they shouldn't be doing. You get assists not by trying to get assists but by trying to kill things (unless your game is has totally specialized/imbalanced characters, which this game does not). So by telling people to get assists, you're actually causing them to do unintended behaviors (which incidentally also result in jerk behavior because some people will join a match, get the achievement, then promptly quit). This is a design flaw that could be addressed by a little more intuition about how people approach the game.

One solution is to make "play a full match" the achievement. This gets rid of the jerk behavior of quitting in mid-match. Alternatively, 10 kills or assists in one match, or something like 25 kills or assists overall.

Quote:
The achievement isn't hard to get, it just requires some knowledge of the genre which most people who are after the achievement don't have. Being a vet of the genre I knew to pick a support character to easily get those assists and got them my first game, but someone who has never played the genre before would have a lot of trouble figuring out how to get all those assists. So I agree that there either should have been a better explanation on how to get the achievement, or it should have been something which was easier to understand for new players.
I don't think that you have to know this genre well, because I'm new to the dota genre, though I've played RTS games (mostly AoE) before. My strategy was just to go and attack stuff. I didn't even know where the assists counter was for a while.

In fact, a piece of irony about the current situation is that, based on the comments that a few other people have made, it seems that Rise of Immortals is actually a pretty easy-to-learn dota/moba game, and probably a reasonably good introduction to the genre as a whole. But it's been hampered by the above-mentioned issues.
QuintSakugarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #66
Berek

Petroglyph Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrhonist View Post
I want to like RoI since I've liked LoL a lot.

However I can't even register for the game...
We would love to help you figure out why you can't... what's the problem?
Berek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #67
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berek View Post
We would love to help you figure out why you can't... what's the problem?
Your servers can't handle the amount of players that have jumped on to get the achievement. But that's the least of your worries with this game.

That skill tree and the artifacts stuff are just downright stupid. It creates a terrible imbalance which for a MOBA is the exact opposite of what you should be aiming for.

Last edited by Raven1417: 12-30-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Raven1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #68
spazbomb

I went in yesterday expecting to hate this game, I was with everyone in thinking achievements like this are self defeating. Then I got the achiev in 10 minutes. Why, because I had fun and I didn't try screwing everyone over just to get assists, I played the game. I was with a group of 2 other real players and we actually killed others worrying more about xp than assists (which meant in a 3 on 3 there were 6 assists per confrontation). By the end of the short game we had over 20 assists a piece and I had a blast.

I went on to play some more this time getting other newbies like myself who were achieve focused and refused to do anything but poke the enemy and run or die. 10 Minutes in and my teamates are all half the level of myself and the enemy and its impossible to finish off any enemies or get assists anyways. It takes 35 minutes just for one guy to get 10.

Love this achiev in that it punishes people who don't play games, they play steam.
spazbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #69
QuintSakugarne

I think the newbies should be made aware of the fact that if they just charge into battle and get themselves killed, they actually stand a decent chance of getting an assist since someone else behind them is likely to mop up their mess.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #70
Berek

Petroglyph Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1417 View Post
Your servers can't handle the amount of players that have jumped on to get the achievement. But that's the least of your worries with this game.

That skill tree and the artifacts stuff are just downright stupid. It creates a terrible imbalance which for a MOBA is the exact opposite of what you should be aiming for.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. You said you had a registration problem?
Berek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #71
Niesrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorian View Post
Actually Aradoness, what you have done is the complete opposite. You encouraged players to not play the game as it is intended. What you should have done was make the achievement kill 10 players, destroy a tower, or even win a match if you wanted "difficulty". That would encourage people to play the game as 'you' intended. What you have done instead, is encourage people to game the system, tag a player and run away, thus not play the game. In this case your "difficulty" encouraged people to destroy the game for the regulars and sour first impressions. Nevermind the broken servers. It had potential but I will be deleting this game.
Well said.

I've tried to get the achievement for about 4h+ (3vsPvE and 5vs5 PvP and the AI played us into the ground; I've managed to get as high as 7 assists) until I realized I'm not able to see any advancement.

Other players are always leveling faster than me and the game isn't really that interesting that I want to put more time (than those 4h)into learning the mechanics. Especially since I won't pay money just for having a character to play with in the first place and the "hub" is just a gathering place where you can do ... nothing at all.

I just got frustrated by this game & achievement, deinstalled it even though I wasn't able to get the achievement and it is close to impossible that I ever will re-install it again.

Last edited by Niesrind: 12-31-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Niesrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #72
QuintSakugarne

The best way to play is to not try to get the achievement, but just try to fight the enemy heroes. If everyone does this, you're bound to get some kills and some assists.

Now if you've got achievement-s hitting the enemy once then running away, feel free to tell them that they suck.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #73
DoctorWiggles

Was it 20 before? I thought for sure it was. 10 is much better.

Coming from someone who doesn't really love this genre, I don't think making you spend time actually playing the game is a bad thing. Of course a lot of people want something quick and easy so they complain. But that wont get anyone interested in the game. It could be a lot worse, like charging you for it, or making you buy full price DLC (GG renegade ops?)

I would have liked to see some sort of achievement that actually made you play the game instead of specifically trying to get the assists, but it's not that bad really. Work up the courage and ask your team to help out.
DoctorWiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #74
Arkieder

Got it playing 3v3 as Ichorr. Just healed teammates all day, helped with killing, ended up with about six kills and almost 30 assists. Should have made this 10 kills and/or assists. Having people try to not get the kill was dreadful.
Arkieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #75
GrieverXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by generatedname View Post
This was their chance to introduce probably a couple hundred thousand new players to their game.

They were not prepared and they chose an awfully frustrating achievement for everyone to get. By the time new players get the achievement (or give up on it), all they want to do is uninstall the game.
exactly, this is how i feel. and exactly what i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradoness View Post
I am hoping that with the difficult achievement, people will see the great potential ROI has for a competitive community. ;-) I think this will help increase the player numbers, and maybe create some more buzz.
wrong.

Last edited by GrieverXVII: 12-31-2011 at 04:22 PM.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rise of Immortals