Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Kanine01

Exclamation Disk IO failure when installing?

When I try to install certain Steam games, it just pauses the update when it's almost done, then it gives me this error.
http://i.imgur.com/PK2RE.jpg
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
graspee

Did you find out what this was? I have it too, on two games. Chkdisk says there's nothing wrong with the disk...
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
rasidian6

try using windows disk defrag, then try again.
rasidian6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
TeKraken

are you getting any errors in the (windows) event viewer?
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Mathew9R

Sounds like the HDD is slowly dying.

What i mean by this is it could be to do with some Hardware Damage (e.g. Overheating HDD)

You could always try to do a forced repair with chkdsk?

Code:
chkdsk C: /R
EDIT: I do have qualifications in this line of support so i do know what i am talking about

Last edited by Mathew9R: 01-08-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Mathew9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
graspee

I've already run chkdisk, although I realize you could have been addressing the OP rather than me. It is a USB2 external hard drive if that makes any difference.

In fact the problem got worse for me, so I can update you. I have a directory on drive H (external usb) which is a directory which isn't empty and I can't delete it from explorer as windows says it's not there any more. I still have this problem now.

The second problem was my I:\ drive, also external usb and home of the two games which give the IO error, suddenly became totally unavailable to me. Well, in fact steam was still downloading a file which was going onto it, but in explorer it said I didn't have permission to open the drive at all. I properties'd it and it said it couldn't display who the owner was! ( Could it be the mysterious Darth oxokx112vtng ? )

I rebooted the machine and the I:\ drive problem resolved itself, but the H:\ problem remains. A thorough chkdsk on both drives finds nothing wrong. The I drive problem which resolved after rebooting happened after I had transferred a very large amount of files onto it over a period of many hours, so perhaps overheating could explain it, I suppose. I probably shouldn't be using a usb external drive to hold all my steam games and play them off, when it's a drive designed more for backup purposes I suppose.

edit: going to check out event viewer now, thanks for the tip, and for others' help too.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
ikar

folder > Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner > Take ownership (Replace permissions on subcontainers)

folder > Properties > Security tab > check that SYSTEM, Administrator, Authenticated, Your windows user, Creator-Owner have right permissions

also boot from an Linux Live CD|USB and look on it folder

Last edited by ikar: 01-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
graspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikar View Post
folder > Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner > Take ownership (Replace permissions on subcontainers)
It wouldn't let me take ownership, I tried. Now that it's behaving itself the owner is <computer name>\Administrators.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Satoru

If it's an external drive an I/O error 'usually' has more to do with the POS enclosure than the drive then. If the drive 'died' you can probably crack open the case, directly connect the drive to your computer and it will work.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
caveman26

download speedfan and have it check your hdd its under the s.m.a.r.t
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Khirsah01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
If it's an external drive an I/O error 'usually' has more to do with the POS enclosure than the drive then. If the drive 'died' you can probably crack open the case, directly connect the drive to your computer and it will work.
^This most likely. Last year I had to crack open an old external HDD and use what I love to call a "cheater cable" to get SATA to USB connection going to test the drive.

Drive was noisy out of the case since it was older, but works like a charm.

If the hard drive still works, then just get a cheapie enclosure from a PC store and have a little DIY assembly to turn it back into a full time external again.
Khirsah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
TeKraken

if it's a 'green' drive IO errors may mean it's parking the head before the data is completely downloaded, perhaps in a lul between files? I had this issue doing a backup once (not steam related), the system was freezing so i checked the event view in windows and there were 'atapi drive not ready errors'.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
graspee

I don't think it's to do with the hard drive actually...

I uninstalled Birth of America; I've downloaded several games since on to the same drive without problems, then I tried to download and install Birth of America again, and same problem. Since it would have to be using different areas of the disk now surely it would be highly coincidental to get an error on this game again and not on the ones I'd installed in between?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
graspee

OK new discovery:

I actually uninstalled Birth of America then killed the directory and made a symbolic link to a directory on a different drive, then reinstalled it. It still failed in exactly the same way, with a disk io error. It is definitely NOT the disk at fault.

I watched as steam downloaded the file; it built up a birth of america directory in steamapps\staging\birth of america, downloaded 230MB ish of data, it said, which took up 640MB ish on the disk, then it started to say "installing" and it created a birth of america directory in steamapps\common (redirected to a different drive) with subdirectories, but no files in them, then it gave me guff about a disk io error (This is a steam error message as seen in the OP, not a Windows error) and puts the game on indefinite pause.

At the moment my best guess is either that Birth of America is broken and won't install for anyone at all (unlikely, especially since my Command and Conquer 3 is in the same position almost, same error but the files do get transferred into the directory) or some steam file to do with how to install the game is corrupted or broken somehow. I suppose I should reinstall steam without reinstalling the games... I'll try that later if no-one has a more accurate idea.

edit: by the way I can ever run Birth of America from a copy of the ssteamapps\staging\birth of america directory but a box pops up asking me for the licence key, which is nowhere to be found...

Last edited by graspee: 01-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Satoru

I wonder if you have any antivirus that's causing the staging download to fail by basically locking the file, which then can't be extracted because the staging file is dead.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips