Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
FarfromUSA

Unhappy Why people using Steam Achievement Manager still got their reward?

They should be banned from the future achievement-related community events.These cheaters shouldn't get reward for their cheating, this will totally spoil the gaming community!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
pepinareal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarfromUSA View Post
They should be banned from the future achievement-related community events.These cheaters shouldn't get reward for their cheating, this will totally spoil the gaming community!
Important to forbid hackers and fraudsters in the game. If someone hacking and achievements = noob. Same time, but what can we do? First to take care of hack games. ( l4d2,TF2,COD:WM3......)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
BloodyRose

I've reported somebody who did this today:
http://i.imgur.com/F4ojd.jpg
I can only hope Valve do something about it, but it's unlikely.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
johnkx

Banned
is this legal? I'm pretty sure its not.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
McMasterGold

Don't tell me this works with the achievement events. If so, Valve must REALLY do something about it.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
tapskill

Achievements can be hacked? Who knew. [/sarcasm]
Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
BloodyRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasterGold View Post
Don't tell me this works with the achievement events. If so, Valve must REALLY do something about it.
It sure does. And yes, it is illegal. People don't care, though. I messaged that guy and he said that 4 of his friends have done the same and never got banned.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
FarfromUSA

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasterGold View Post
It worked, and a lot of people using it, completed achievements within seconds while other honest players spend huge time on some difficult achievements from Tokitori or super meat boy, and got their awards with no risk at all. That's also the reason why some coal farmers with HUGE numbers of accounts can get their gifts so quickly
Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Dr0W

Oh my, thanks for even telling me of the existence of this tool.

That was sarcasm btw, I enjoy getting my achievements but really I didn't know that it even existed but now I do and I'm pretty sure that lots of people who will use it too. You should have contacted steam support directly.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Qud

Hehe yeah it does not sound too fair now does it.
I for one have spent quite a time for playing these achievements. I have won nothing but coupons so I'm not too glad to read how some people are gettings games by cheating.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Viperr101

Using this program to unlock achievements that are a part of the event is technically not breaking the rules if it doesn't say anywhere "No outside programs can be used to unlock these achievements." It's still bull though, and It's impossible for valve to track down every single person using it.

However, I just did the killing floor event achievement (it shows it unlocked for my game) but I didn't get the "event" achievement for it... So now I'm stuck with a broken achievement, and the only way i can think of fixing it is to use the achievement program to remove it from my account, and then get it again.

It's not the fault of the user when using programs like this to fix things that are broken with steam, unless they're using it to shamefully unlock ones they haven't done themselves.

Update: Half an hour later it unlocked the achievement for me
Old 12-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
FarfromUSA

They don't even need to download the game
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
vierasniper

cry some more
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Phobix

Valve did do something - the game Spiral Knights has secure achievements. Ultimately though it shouldn't matter. The whole point of the gift giveaway is to make you buy those games - the same as the Portal 2 ARG. Getting you to play them is nice, but most people are just using the wiki and playing the games incorrectly just to get the achievement (i.e. game saves). There's no huge difference between playing a game for 5 minutes just for the achievement and using S.A.M. - you're still not giving the game a chance and you have to own it in both cases. Any notion of "work" is laughable - it's a game.................
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
neoduke007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobix View Post
Valve did do something - the game Spiral Knights has secure achievements. Ultimately though it shouldn't matter. The whole point of the gift giveaway is to make you buy those games - the same as the Portal 2 ARG. Getting you to play them is nice, but most people are just using the wiki and playing the games incorrectly just to get the achievement (i.e. game saves). There's no huge difference between playing a game for 5 minutes just for the achievement and using S.A.M. - you're still not giving the game a chance and you have to own it in both cases. Any notion of "work" is laughable - it's a game.................
Well some games do take time, Rusty Hearts is 30 minutes, Beat Hazard took me multiple attempts and a total of 40 minutes time.

Bunch of Heroes took me a good 30 minutes with 2 attempts.

Now some people just went in and did it all with a click of the button, this just isn't fair...

Like for example, I won't even get a coal or anything from Rusty Hearts now as I can't get the game to start
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion