Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
michbret

Verify integrity of game cache doesn't work any more, or not correctly

Hello to the RW3 community.

First I would wish a merry Christmas to all the Railworks fans and by anticipation an happy new year.

Some days ago, an update of the Steam program occurs (around one or two weeks but I am not sure).

After this update, I remarked that the very useful "verify integrity of game cache" (select TS2012, right click, select properties, select Local Files ...) has changed behaviour.

In the past, executing a verification of integrity took quite a long time (between 30 minutes to 1 hour) but with this new version of Steam, the behaviour is quite different. When verifying, you stay one or two minutes with 0% verified (some times it goes up to some more percent) and then like a miracle, you have 100% files successfully verified.

That's not realistic at all since several tenth of gigabyte (if you have many DLC must be validated.

If you have problems, watch carefully the progress bar.

If it drops quickly from some percent to "all file successfully verified", be sure that NOTHING IS VERIFIED.

To check this I moved my Asset folder (nothing work without this one)to the desktop and succeeded in having "all file successfully verified". Totally crazy!

Some stupid programming in Steam program give this result if something bad happen between you and the steam server (loss of connexion, network time out, server overloaded, ....). In all these case you have an successfully verified even if everything is messed !!!!

The only way to be sure for the moment is to keep an eye on the progress bar up to the moment when it reaches 100% (99% with the sandbox).

Crazy Steam
Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
StarTux

I know this is crazily simple and you've done it already, but I had to ask. Did you restart Steam from scratch and then try the verification process again?
StarTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
elof_ffs

It does seem to be a problem at the moment,
See here http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
elof_ffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
roxter

my verify is strange atm tried it 2 times nice and slow to 30% them bam 100% complete,as of before it was slow to 15% then fast to 70% the slow to 100% not sure if thats how its supposed to work,also on a different note guyz,is anybody having trouble with steam loading?just latley for me anyway load times are really slow,and on this forum it wont load and gives me a error code 305 or sumthing like that
roxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
michbret

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTux View Post
I know this is crazily simple and you've done it already, but I had to ask. Did you restart Steam from scratch and then try the verification process again?
Yes I did it several times.

To clarify, if something happens during the verification process, (network glitch, steam server timeout, ????), the verification process goes directly from x% (often 0%) to 100%.

Then it says that all files are correctly validated which is wrong. This behaviour is really misleading

Then only way to be quite sure that everything is verified is when see the progress bar slowly going up to 99%, waiting some time at 99% with the sand clock icon on the mouse pointer.

Moment later you have then a message saying than "Steam has finished downloading TS2012 files"

To be sure that it is not working, I moved the whole Kuju folder (it is under Assets) to my desktop. So the installation is definitively missing many core files of the game.

But the Steam verification process jumped quickly from 2% to 100% and told that all files are correctly validated which is obviously wrong!!!

This is very problematic with RW3 / TS2012
michbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Robert(UK)

Funnily enough, I noticed that Verify Integrity seemed to finish very quickly as well. I did it just after buying a load of steam stuff (as in engines, not Valve's program).

I nearly always do a Verify Integrity after buying new DLC...
Robert(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
michbret

How to circumvent the problem:

First there is a programming error in the Steam client.

During the verify process if the connection drop or time out (unknown value), then the verification process will jump to 100% verified and will tell you that "all files are successfully validated".

That's totally wrong : the check was partial and even if something wrong has been discovered, NOTHING will be downloaded.

So we must minimize the occurrence of network connexion trouble or time out

Locally : Don't play or do network activity when verifying files.
Have a stable connexion (WiFi may be troublesome at moments).

At the server level : After many tries, I came to the conclusion that the main problem comes from Steam servers load.
- So, it is better to do the verification during low activity period of the server, usually soon in the morning.
- A trick is to change your server only for the verification!
Example : If you are living in Europe, you should have selected a server close to your location (that's important for multi player games - ping time latency - and so on). Let's assume that you are in Germany, so your local time is GMT+1 and your selected server is Munich (example).
If it is 14 o'clock, on your watch, the local time in Los Angeles (GMT-8) would be 5 o'clock in the morning. So the Los Angeles server is likely to be lightly loaded. So change the server in Steam (steam->Settings->Download and Cloud) and select Los Angeles. Steam will ask to restart so say OK.
Do all the verification needed and when finished reset Steam back to your local server (important).

So look at your watch, do some geography, and it is likely that you will overcome this problem.

Last edited by michbret: 12-27-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Clarify sentence
michbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
StarTux

Yes I am seeing more reports of this now, as stated by the OP it must be a bug (or so we hope).

Thanks for all the effort in tracking down and offering a work-around for those that need it.
StarTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Ryanne

The same happened to me last week but I thought it had only happened to me,Tim
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ocala35

Steam is useless at moment for me.

Steam is useless at moment for me.
PS: Hope they fix it.

Last edited by ocala35: 12-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.
ocala35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks