Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic Generations

Old 12-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
iGamr

Gamepad Sidestep Glitch WORSE Post-Patch? (Also, where's our pinball?)

The glitch that causes random side-steps (which happens with some non-360 gamepads) seems to have WORSENED. Before the latest patch, I could stop it by simply starting up a Modern Sonic level (I used Green Hill Zone Act 2; not sure if that matters), then pausing and quitting. Then the glitch would be gone until the next time I started up the game, at which point I would go in and quit again. Now, that doesn't help at all.

Also, where's the pinball DLC that was supposed to come out today?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
linksdeity

Is this the glitch that causes the left bumper and/or trigger to act like it's being hit repeatedly, causing insane sidesteps? because this is happening to me, and it also makes it almost impossible to view anything on the hub menu, and repeatedly zooms in and out giving me motion sickness.
I was having SO MUCH FUN until this started happening!

I'm using a Nyko Airflow EX...

AND YEAH, WHERE'S THE PINBALL GAME!!?!
linksdeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
iGamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksdeity View Post
Is this the glitch that causes the left bumper and/or trigger to act like it's being hit repeatedly, causing insane sidesteps? because this is happening to me, and it also makes it almost impossible to view anything on the hub menu, and repeatedly zooms in and out giving me motion sickness.
I was having SO MUCH FUN until this started happening!

I'm using a Nyko Airflow EX...

AND YEAH, WHERE'S THE PINBALL GAME!!?!
That's EXACTLY the glitch I'm referring to.
iGamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Turbo9000

I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and I'm having this issue too. As soon as modern Sonic hits the ground after that first brief run, he starts going nuts with the sidestep. I can't make him stop. It's absolutely unplayable in its current state.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
gutsack

having the same problem, but here is a solution. use joy to key (free) or xpadder to bind the default keys to your controller and play the game in keyboard mode. the only draw back is you are going to sacrifice analog movement, but that shouldn't be a problem.
gutsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Rukarioman

I used to have that problem too (PS2 to USB controller), but I got myself a 360 gamepad today anyways, so that problem just solved itself. lol
Also, WHERE IS THE PINBALL DLC.
Rukarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Amerine

Use x360ce, been using that with my ps2 controller on a usb adapter and it works like a charm.
Amerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Gonzo_Neo

Same here, side steeping error and zoom in the HUB map.

I try with 2 pads, PS3 and P880 and same error in both
Gonzo_Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
GravenX

It's definietly worse, before it happened just for a moment then after sometime it would stop, now it's unplayable.
GravenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
rumsey

I've heard from many people that using x360ce to emulate an XBox 360 controller will fix this problem.
rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Crysalim

This bug is absolutely infuriating!! I was thoroughly enjoying the game until it surfaced. I also use a ps2 controller to usb, and even disabling the key itself (in keyboard and controller mode) doesn't work.

So much for recommending this game >.<
Crysalim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
rumsey

I recommend you report this bug to Sega, I know it's probably been reported before, but extra attention might finally bring a resolution.

Quote:
If you experience any other problems, please contact customersupportuk@sega.co.uk with details. To help us identify and fix the issue, please provide as much information as possible on your PC hardware, and the issue that you’re experiencing.
Sega and/or Devil's Details have been releasing minor patches for the game every few weeks, so it's possible if enough people complain it will get fixed.
rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Crysalim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsey View Post
I recommend you report this bug to Sega, I know it's probably been reported before, but extra attention might finally bring a resolution.
Done and done. Good advice, I encourage everyone who reads this thread to also do this.
Crysalim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
Sgt. Pepper

Same thing for me as well, only thing I could get done with the controller was do time attack, got the join the ranks achievment...and patch, unplayable...I no wanna use keyboard!
Sgt. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
IceSage

I've been receiving this bug as well.

Half-way through Seaside Hill, it pretty much forces me to side-step to the left, over and over and over and over again.

In some of the other modern levels, it does it erratically and at random. In another level I was playing, it decided to do it half-way through just like Seaside Hill.

Something in these levels keeps triggering it. I believe it's the way the camera adjusts. I don't think there is a camera, but it forces sonic in a certain direction to trigger the camera movement. Whatever's doing it forces the left-top button to stay stuck.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezodagrom View Post
About the automatic side-stepping to the left, looks like it only happens to those who use DirectInput gamepads.
Looks like using the XBox 360 controller emulator fixes that, I don't know how to use it though, since I only have a XInput controller.
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list

This guy's solution solved my problem. This is my reply from the bug report thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceSage View Post
Thank you, this actually worked for me. I was able to get through Seaside Hill without looking like Richard Simmons on crack.

The way you properly use this is to put it in the game folder of Sonic Generations (Steam/Common/Sonic Generations - On my computer) and setup whatever works with your controller from the presets. Press save, exit, and it generates the appropriate DLL file for the game.

Solved my issue so far. I suggest this for anyone else who's having this problem.
I highly suggest this tool. It fixed all my problems and actually made the game play way better. I'm zooming through levels as Modern Sonic better than I had been previously.

Last edited by IceSage: 12-29-2011 at 03:12 AM.
IceSage is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sonic the Hedgehog series > Sonic Generations