Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
EvilCow

Exclamation Visa Gift Card

I recently got a visa gift card for christmas from one of my family members. I have added a variety of games to my cart. When I go to purchase them all with my visa gift card (I do have sufficient funds, and I have converted the US currency into CDN currency before trying to buy them.) When I go to purchase, it says that Visa has declined my purchase. This has been happening for 2 days now, and I really wanted to get Prototype while it was on 75% off yesterday. Now thanks to Visa I can't. Can anyone help me with this problem??!?!? And yes, I have registered it on the website indicated on the card. Also, I have checked, and rechecked the fields, and crosschecked them with my visa gift card's account stuff. Also, I enter everything under "Visa" When prompted to. I do not have a PayPal account.

Help?! Anyone?!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
theunknifable

Steam doesn't accept third party credit cards as payment. (ie AmericanExpress, Visa giftcards)
theunknifable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
evenlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunknifable View Post
Steam doesn't accept third party credit cards as payment. (ie AmericanExpress, Visa giftcards)
Dont listen to him^ He's very wrong. I use prepaid visa's all the time.

Check my thread here.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2343220
evenlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
EvilCow

Thank you! I will try this right now and edit this post (the one i'm writing) with the results.

EDIT - Okay, I'm back... And that did not work. > Steam, I'm really mad at'chu right now. >:|

As for the gift card... You are supposed to be able to use it online as soon as you register it... right? I registered it a long time ago. > This is making me really mad, I would appreciate if steam fixed this error. Apparently, it's been happening all around here.

Last edited by EvilCow: 12-26-2011 at 10:49 PM.
EvilCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
EvilCow

Rawr! Still mad here.... Bump
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
evenlease

Ok... I'll suggest this, make a new account... using a different email. Put a game in the cart and purchase as gift, send to your email for main steam account. If that works, its something with your account, if not then I suggest buying something off Amazon, if it doesn't work there then call the card company.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
EvilCow

Okay, I'll try that right now. Thanks for responding.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
EvilCow

I just tried it and I cannot purchase it as a gift. It says it has been declined by my credit card company. So, in response to this, I am going to have fun destroying Visa tomorrow on the phone.

Wish me luck, EvilCow.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
evenlease

Yeah, it's definitely the company. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Frigid

Quote:
What is a third party credit card? Valve makes credit cards?
Frigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
ozgeek

Quote:
STOP spreading lies! Just stop. He is not true.

I have been using VISA reloadable debit card on Steam for years without any issues. I bought hundreds of games on my account using only the card.

I had used 2 VISA brands on my account: Bopo (that one went under), then currently Canvas. (Australian). They work great on Steam. Everytime I get "Thank you for your purchase".

For those in Australia: This is what I use http://mycanvascard.com/
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
ozgeek

To the OP: Have you made any purchases elsewhere, if so does it work? Test it on the humble indie bundle to see if it accept your card.

Steam is a bit strict in where the card can be used. You would have to be in the same country as the card for it to work but you can contact steam support to have the country restriction lifted so you can use the card anywhere in the world.

Also take into fact that the card might incur fees for transactions. I always add about $2-3 room to ensure tranactions go through due to country exchange fees.
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
EvilCow

To Ozgeek: I am in Canada. I have lived here my entire life, and the card was purchased in Canada. The games I'm trying to buy with it are Prototype, Bioshock 2, Magicka, Mount & Blade: Warband. I would've also bought Torchlight and Orcs Must Die! if my card had been working yesterday. Because it wasn't, I can no longer get those games for Prototype isn't on as low of a sale as it was yesterday. Also, Prototype will be back to full price tomorrow which means I'll probably have to drop it all together. All because of Visa, who I will be sure to give a piece of my mind to.

So, Yeah. Canada - Me + Card Purchase.
Games - Prototype, Bioshock 2, Magicka, Mount & Blade: Warband, Torchlight, Orcs Must Die!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
evenlease

Have you tried using the card else where?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #15
EvilCow

No, not yet. I haven't because i fear that if I do buy something I won't be able to get my money back onto the gift card. It's a $50 visa card and th games come to $49.80 or something like that in CDN. Soooo yeah. :/ Sorry for the slow delay, I fell asleep listening to music, xD

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips