Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
agent0kevin

How many PC can I put my account on?

I am pretty sure I read this somewhere, but I cant find it now. I looked all through the subscriber agreement.

I have 4 PCs at home, and 3 accounts between family members. I want to put my account and various games from it on various PCs around the house. One master PC holds it all, while I want certain games acessible from 2 or 3 of the other PCs. There are several reasons, one being I bought a few casual games for the wife to play and she will want to play some of those while Im playing online, or just logged in playing SP titles. I do realize you can only have your account online on 1 PC at a time.

I dont want to raise any red flags as my account will be popping up online from multiple PCs fairly often, but all from the same IP address. Well, same block that is, as my ISP gave us a dynamic IP. (which I disagree with, everyone should have static IPs IMO) We have 4 gamers in the household though, and there will be a fair amount of activity.

I thought I read somewhwre long ago that I could DL each title 5 times and that was it. Im pretty sure over the years Ive exceeded that anyway with various PC upgrades/new builds.

So the questions are:

1) Is there a limit to how many times I can download a single title?

2) Are any problems going to arise from having my account on 4 PCs, with a copy of at least one title (probably more) being present on each PC?

Last edited by agent0kevin: 12-26-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
freakn1ck

i don't see why this would raise any red flags. you can only log in to your account on one computer at a time. so putting it on multiple computers would be fine no?
freakn1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Planeforger

Steam itself has no restrictions on how many downloads you makev- you can use your account and download your games as many times as you like on as many PCs as you like (although you're officially not allowed to share accounts, or log into your account from multiple PCs at the same time).

The games themselves might have DRM restricting games to only five-ish activations/PCs, but if you've only got a couple of PCs, it might not be a problem.
Planeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Ria Hawk

I've not had a problem shuffling my account between computers. Had it on my laptop, my desktop, the living room desktop, the laptop again after the hard drive melted and I had to redownload, once on my brother's computer... In addition to the only being able to be signed on at one computer at a time, I'm pretty sure you can't access any installed games that aren't tied to a particular account if you're not on that account, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I think the most you'll have to do is get put in the code Valve emails you when you sign in from a computer it's not used to.
Ria Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
NorthernKingdom

Banned
Quote:
she will want to play some of those while Im playing online, or just logged in playing SP titles. I do realize you can only have your account online on 1 PC at a time.
asked and answered.

Can only be logged in with one machine per account.

Put it on as many machines as you want. Your account with be flagged by location IP so you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited by NorthernKingdom: 12-27-2011 at 12:08 AM.
NorthernKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
agent0kevin

Well, i kind of figured as much (it being ok) since you cant possibly be logged in on one account on 2 PCs. BUT I didnt want any backlash for doing so.

Any limits wouldnt be much of an issue as only a couple games would be on 3 PCs, and the 4th is a laptop capable of playing pre 2010ish titles but not many new games. That one is primarily for the casual games. They could become issues in the future as I build new PCs (which I happen to enjoy doing) but not so much ATM.

Now, about this 'sharing'.

I realize that you arent allowed to share accounts. I dont know anyone I trust enough to handle my fairly sizeable Steam account anyway. Plus Im fully against any kind of piracy. It drives up prices for honest folks.

But what about my family members? Surely they wouldnt say 'you can buy this game but only YOU may play it'. I purchased 3 casual games on my own account for the wife to play, so does that mean I need to buy them again on her very own Steam account?

I would think that is going too far with it. Surely I can allow my family to enjoy games I purchased years ago, on my own account right? After all, I wouldnt be forced to buy 4 copies of each 360 game I wanted to play just because there were 4 members of the household. Thats ludicrous.

Valve says they fight piracy by offering a service better than piracy, but disallowing even my family to play games I bought surely does not fit the bill. It would likely be enough to drive me back to console games for the rest of the fams.

Last edited by agent0kevin: 12-27-2011 at 12:40 AM.
agent0kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
seseorang

If your computers are connected to one internal network (the same internet connection) then the IP address for each will be the same as viewed from the outside world. Internally, the IP address will be different, but that won't matter to Steam
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
johnkx

Banned
As many as you can.

1) Is there a limit to how many times I can download a single title?

It depends on the games you have. There are times that games have activations "like EA".

2) Are any problems going to arise from having my account on 4 PCs, with a copy of at least one title (probably more) being present on each PC?

No, the only problem you'll have is that you can't login on your account in multiple PCs at the same time.
johnkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion