Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Back to the Future

Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
BulletMagnet

BTTF Ep4 Crashing [Solved]

Playing through this game. Gotta say, first up, that as a fan of the movies, I am thoroughly enjoying this game. However, I am having issues...

Each episode seems to have a spot where it is bound to hang. Though, in Ep 1-3, simply rebooting will allow me to play past that point.

But the hang point in Ep 4...I just can't get it to go away. I have tried rebooting, different graphics settings, SLI on and off, even tried running in a window. Nothing helps.

It is at the part where I have given Trixie everything and young Emmet arrives. I go to talk to him and both of my screens flicker and then it hangs my PC.

Anyone else get this and then get it to work?

My specs...
Win7 Ultimate x64
i7
6Gb RAM
2x nVidia GTX260Sp216

Last edited by BulletMagnet: 01-01-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Solved problem
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
BulletMagnet

Bump.
BulletMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
BulletMagnet

Solved

OK. I figured out what's happening. The flashing black surfaces are usually a sign of a shadow map being made where a lightsource is within a mesh. This results in negative distances to light source (the HLSL equivalent of dividing by zero).

This makes sense, as the 2 cars were glitched into one another!

So, by dropping the shadow and graphic detail levels to the lowest setting, I was able to eliminate the crashing!!!

Note that the graphics don't even seem to suffer at high res. Which is odd, but there you go.

Hope this helps others.
BulletMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Back to the Future