Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Luke353777

[RESOLVED] Steam cloud and skyrim saves

Hey, I recently got myself a new laptop. Loaded up steam and skyrim on it, was hoping I could start off where I left off but none of my saves are available.
I was under the impression steam saved games in its cloud? And if that's not the case, where on my hard drive does it keep saves? It's not in the standard place, anyone know?

Last edited by Luke353777: 12-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
gentlefury

Skyrim is not cloud save compatible for some stupid reason. Saves are in the user documents my games/skyrim folder.

Search for steam save sync with drop box. Thats how I do it.
gentlefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Myster

My saves are here.

My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves
Myster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
GangusKahn

No Cloud for Skyrim. Saves get to large.

Saves are in your Documents/MyGames/Skyrim
GangusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
jpnole

Cloud saves not available for skyrim as of yet. Google the save game location, can't think of it off my head.
jpnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
rad666a

I don't know about cloud saves, since I have cloud sync disabled in my Steam settings.

However, Skyrim keeps it's saves in:

[documents directory]/My Games/Skyrim/Saves
rad666a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Luke353777

Thanks guys, I checked my documents and didn't find a "skyrim" folder, forgot about the "My games" one.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Luke353777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
GooBA_AU

Thumbs up try this

hey there!

i was also bugged by this, but what you can do is set up a simulated steam iCloud service of your own by using a program called drop box. the details are here

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/09/se...ud-for-skyrim/

it takes a little mucking around but it worked for me! So good having access to all your saves wherever you are!
GooBA_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Grimmac

Or just email your saves to yourself. Then they are also wherever you go (although you do have to copy them back in).
Grimmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Skyrim is not cloud save compatible for some stupid reason. Saves are in the user documents my games/skyrim folder.

Search for steam save sync with drop box. Thats how I do it.
It's not "stupid". In case you didn't notice, skryim saves are several times the size of most other games. ESPECIALLY those that have been playing for an extensive time(150+ hours).. That and this is the kind of game where it's not uncommon to end up with several hundreds, if not thousands(if you never clean up your save folder) of saves.. This can total several GB, if not a dozen or more, of saves. It's pretty easy to get to the point where the save folder is actually larger then the game itself.. where as a typical game that DOES support cloud is maybe a few hundred MB total for saves... so you multiply this by the number of skyirm players and it's an insane amount of server space...

not to mention since a lot of people have data caps from their isp.. if they DID support it they'd get hammered with hate mail over how steam cloud used up all their bandwidth backing up their saves...

In fact NO Bethesda game supports it.. Actually, the minority of steam games use it...I checked, out of the 45 games I own on steam only 13 use it... I can't believe the amount of that think because all valve games(HL2, TF2, etc) support it that means ALL games in general support it... in fact I just checked agian of those 13 the only NON-valve games I own that use it are metro 2033 and worms reloaded.... I know there are many non-valve games that utilize it but it's still the minority...the store page as well as your "library" when using the "middle" Detailed view option(look in the upper right of your steam window next to "view") will have a column that shows if it supports it..

I do agree it would be nice if it did.. but I understand why they don't support it..and there really is no excuse for assuming it does. Even if it did, I personally would play it safe and back them up manually anyway... I can't believe the number of threads I've seen here and over and bethesda from morons who formatted their computer for whatever reason.... and then were shocked when they found steam didn't restore their skyrim saves.. and weren't smart enough to back them up themselves...
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #11
monkeyroach

All steamworks should have mandatory cloud saves especially games like skyrim which is a game that you put so many hours into and can lose everything because you lose a save.It should at least sync your last 20 saves which will fit in steam cloud 150mb limit and maybe have a option to compress the saves.
monkeyroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
Peckpogydah

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyroach View Post
All steamworks should have mandatory cloud saves especially games like skyrim which is a game that you put so many hours into and can lose everything because you lose a save.It should at least sync your last 20 saves which will fit in steam cloud 150mb limit and maybe have a option to compress the saves.
DS3 has a "normal" and a "Steam" save tab that you can switch back and forth. If the only reason for not having cloud in Skyrim is file size mabye they can add a feature like that.
Peckpogydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Sygnus21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicpirate View Post
It's not "stupid". In case you didn't notice, skryim saves are several times the size of most other games. ESPECIALLY those that have been playing for an extensive time(150+ hours).. That and this is the kind of game where it's not uncommon to end up with several hundreds, if not thousands(if you never clean up your save folder) of saves.. This can total several GB, if not a dozen or more, of saves. It's pretty easy to get to the point where the save folder is actually larger then the game itself.. where as a typical game that DOES support cloud is maybe a few hundred MB total for saves... so you multiply this by the number of skyirm players and it's an insane amount of server space...

not to mention since a lot of people have data caps from their isp.. if they DID support it they'd get hammered with hate mail over how steam cloud used up all their bandwidth backing up their saves...

In fact NO Bethesda game supports it.
Hi, I agree with your analysis as it make perfect sense. That said, be aware that Oblivion (a Bethesda game) does have cloud support. I have the Steam version and there is a cloud icon in the status column. Also if you hit properties, and click on the "UPDATES" tab you'll notice a checkbox that says "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". Underneath it it'll tell you how much you have stored, and how much (space) you have left.

In the case of Oblivion it seems Cloud only lets you store a little less than 1 gig of files - I've used 952.56MB and have 1.11MB of space left.

Last edited by Sygnus21: 01-21-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Sygnus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sygnus21 View Post
Hi, I agree with your analysis as it make perfect sense. That said, be aware that Oblivion (a Bethesda game) does have cloud support. I have the Steam version and there is a cloud icon in the status column. Also if you hit properties, and click on the "UPDATES" tab you'll notice a checkbox that says "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". Underneath it it'll tell you how much you have stored, and how much (space) you have left.

In the case of Oblivion it seems Cloud only lets you store a little less than 1 gig of files - I've used 952.56MB and have 1.11MB of space left.
Ah-ha! That's interesting. I don't own oblivion or morrowind on steam it seems the latter also supports it..... so I just assumed.. i guess what i meant was fo3/nv/skyrim dont. I also have no games outsidd of those series which also may use it so in hind sight I should have checked before stating something stupid

Either way I still think you should back up yourself anyway.. you have no one else to blame but yourself if the cloud fails and you lose them. Especially if you assumed it used it and found out you were wrong when its too late... i actually have backup saves from morrowind that are 6 yesrs old in multiple locations, as well as saves ftom cod 1. People who blame steam for not using cloud for whatever game seriously need to get over themselves and realize that cloud is a fringe benifit of steam, no a inalianable right..its FREE you should be gratefull they offer it at all for the games that do support it, not be demanding they use it for all your games

Last edited by chronicpirate: 01-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #15
Micknator

Oblivion and Morrowind only have Cloud-support since Skyrim was a go for pre-order back in August (during Quakecon). It's a shame, though, that FO3 and NV don't have it ...

I own all 3 TES games on Steam and just checked TES3 and 4 for the storage. Oblivion and Morrowind both have ~950MB of Cloud storage. Oblivion has a few percent in use, but Morrowind uses far less.

If the storage for Skyrim would be 950MB as well, it would be possible to allow you to delete older savegames and/or compress data to save storage. Though it would be handy if you would have a character manager of some sort (Like being able to save the last 10 saves of a single character).
Micknator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V