Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Machinarium

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
vrecca

Angry The reason you may have lost your Machinarium saves

I just went to play Machinarium after a long hiatus and found that all my progress was lost. I played on and off for about a year without any issue up until now. I did a little experimenting and found that when I go into IE8 and do "delete cookies" the .sol file and the directory it's in both disappear. When I did a little research, I found this:

"Internet Explorer users are accustomed to deleting their cookies via Delete Browsing History. However, because Flash is an add-on and not part of standard HTML content, browsers have not been able to delete Flash cookies the same way they delete HTTP cookies. When we released IE8, we added APIs (links here and here) for Internet Explorer so that add-ons such as Flash can respond to Delete Browsing History and InPrivate Browsing, allowing consumers to delete Flash cookies along with other data in browsing history.

Adobe recently announced that Flash Player 10.3 integrates with Delete Browsing History. This means that when you delete your cookies with Delete Browsing History, Flash Player will automatically clear your Flash cookies as well. We applaud the change. It resolves a longstanding privacy issue."

I'm going to recover whatever file I have on a backup drive, but I would suggest to everyone out there that they either manually copy their .sol file periodically or create a .bat file to do so on every restart...
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Shad0WeN

see this thread for a tool to backup your save(s) plus how to "cheat" to perhaps get back to where you were before:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2038700
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Citizen Erased

This really sucks. I played for an hour a few days ago and decide to play the game today but my save is not there. I read about deleting your cookies would delete the save so I just won't delete my cookies then. I play and get farther than I was before and exit the game. Then I go back into the game to see that I just lost all that I played. I have no idea why it did that. I used the rebol tactic and when I started a game and went back into it the game was saved. I'm so angry right now. Is there a way to solve this problem for IE9 users?
Citizen Erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Shad0WeN

I don't use Internet Explorer for anything other than Windows Updates on XP so I can't really say what might be new in IE8 or IE9 that could possibly be related to this issue, however it sounds like there must be something running on your system that is periodically clearing your Adobe Flash cookies/data. There are numerous cleaning and maintenance programs that do this, often by default. I use CCleaner & found this out the hard way. definitely a great program for what it does, but there is no way they could have possibly forseen a problem such as this and I had to play with the options to prevent it from wiping out this game's saves whenever I ran a cleaning operation. truthfully, Machinarium should have used a smarter/better method of saving progress.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
MaxMen

Good game
MaxMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Unusual Cookie

I delete my saves every time I use a crap cleaner-like program.And i use it pretty often.I already used to it.Then I again I did complete the game in one sitting and I've basically memorized it after I replayed it 4 times, because my 5 year old sister loves it.
Unusual Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
IAMAGOODPERSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusual Cookie View Post
I delete my saves every time I use a crap cleaner-like program.And i use it pretty often.I already used to it.Then I again I did complete the game in one sitting and I've basically memorized it after I replayed it 4 times, because my 5 year old sister loves it.
i have one too it's called advanced system care. but in mine you can go into the settings and take out the cookie deletion. it will still do malware scans and registry fixes and you can delete your cookies on your own time
IAMAGOODPERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
The White Lady

So even this steam version will experience lost saves if I were to do a sweep with C cleaner? Or can I just choose to ignore the cookie deletion? I use chrome, not IE, so does that change things ?
The White Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Shad0WeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Lady View Post
So even this steam version will experience lost saves if I were to do a sweep with C cleaner? Or can I just choose to ignore the cookie deletion? I use chrome, not IE, so does that change things ?
Any version of this game would save progress using the same method, so yes, using CCleaner would wipe out the save file unless you do one of the following:

1. On the 'Applications' tab under 'Multimedia', uncheck Adobe Flash Player
  2. Under 'Options', then 'Exclude', add an exclusion for the folder (or a higher up parent directory of) where the Machinarium.sol file is located
As far as Chrome goes, I'm running Firefox so I can't help you there.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Machinarium