Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #946
rustyrudder

59 years young here. Decades ago gaming was pretty disappointing, but still fun. I was imagining the possibilities and hoped that eventually the machines, programs and industries would develop to what we have at present. Yesteryear's machines and games were quite frustrating at times.

Although my comp has an EVGA gtx465 that's fine for Skyrim, etc., it is maxed-out when running Skyrim. Averaging 55-65 fps. I often get the itch to update components and yesterday was looking over the 2-Gig v-cards at Best Buy and Newegg. Instead of going sli w/ two cards, just replacing it with one doubling the vram should do nicely for now.
rustyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #947
Crag

Good idea!

The newer video cards can really give a lift to computer that is otherwise healthy. A 2 Gig card is not overdoing it nowadays.
Crag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #948
hawk318

When I build a PC, I've found if I use the best of.... then the 2nd Intel CPU (usually a lot less and almosty as fast as top o the line)
And a vid card about 3 or 4 generations down from the top.... it will get me thru the first 3 yrs or so.... then at a later date drop in another vid card....that is about 3 or 4 generations down (3 yrs after I built it figuring new cards come out about 1 or 2 new ones a year)

My PC's usually last me about 5 to 6 yrs. Yeah they're expensive at the start and I save some with the CPU and more with a cheaper vid card, but (using this one I use now I built in '08) I always can play the latest games at very good rates for many years and all it'll cost me is a new vid card 3 yrs or so down the road.... (and the price of a lot of freakin' games)
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #949
jeffreydean1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Tucker View Post
Very cool, but a modern pc hiding in a C64 keyboard doesn't leave much room for upgrades. Proprietary graphics is a very bad thing too. And play C64 games again? I loved my C64 and SX64 back then, but no way would I ever go back to them..
I'm only 30, but I grew up with the C64 and I still to this day have one set up in my basement that I play with every so often. The games from back then were superb. Zakk McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders? Zaxxon? Side Arms? EPIX Karate? Hell yeah.
jeffreydean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #950
Sparzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelda View Post
Thats one plateform i never got into was the Commadore C64, went with the Atari 400/800 because the OS was open source and i could burn my own roms for the games I created....... Took me a good while to buy the memory map for Atari basic they kind of had a lock on the OS for a number of years......

Meow....

On a side note, When atari came out with the 3200 Game console they did away with the GTIA Graphics chip because they wanted to concentrate on the Business market instead of the game market. That is when I moved away from writing games for the 8bit atari and went with the PC Jr, and IBM PC machines..... They kind of shot themselves in the foot on that one.....

Meow.....
I loved the c64 when it came out and still listen to the music. This was one of my favorite games Wizball. The games might have been basic back then but the main thing about them was the great music.
Sparzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #951
rustyrudder

Crag and Hawk318-
Appreciate the feedback and info. I've learned much here reading various posts and threads. My comp is a year old Win7- w/ X58 Asus Sabertooth board- i7 950 cpu-liquid cooled, 6 Gig's Corsair RAM and Corsair 750watt ps. I figured those would stay current long enough, but I went lower end w/ the 1.2Gig gtx465 for a decent starting point and price and when the time came to upgrade the video the rest of the machine would still be good to go.
rustyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #952
Crag

That sounds like a pretty rockin' machine, Mr. Rudder! Better specs than mine except for the graphics card.

My brother-in-law is a systems and network tech. For his private use, he also tends to invest in second- or third-gen PC parts as a way of keeping costs down while still getting decent performance.

Where I see the biggest difference is in the graphics area. For my money, if I'm going to splurge, I'll splurge on the graphics card. Currently running 3-GHz i5 processor and 2-GB 6970 graphics. Am quite happy with that setup.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #953
Crag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparzy View Post
I loved the c64 when it came out and still listen to the music. This was one of my favorite games Wizball. The games might have been basic back then but the main thing about them was the great music.
I had Wizball on my Amiga, too. Really good game!

There was a company here in Sweden that sold a device for musicians with the C64's SID sound chip in it. I don't know if they are still doing it, and don't remember what this little synth was called. Will see if I can find info on it and post again.

Last edited by Crag: 03-17-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I forgot something.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #954
Crag

SID Station

Ah, found it. It was called the SID Station.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation

Manufacturer's web address: http://www.elektron.se/

Apparently, the man who created the SID Station passed away in 2007. The company itself seems to still be going strong, at least if the website is any evidence.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #955
LiqMat

Speaking of RPGs and the C64 a legend of RPGs has a kickstarter.com project up and is asking for donations to do a proper sequel to Wasteland called Wasteland 2. Anyone remember that legend RPG?

Here is the link and it looks like it is a go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...scover_updates
LiqMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #956
Haldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqMat View Post
Speaking of RPGs and the C64 a legend of RPGs has a kickstarter.com project up and is asking for donations to do a proper sequel to Wasteland called Wasteland 2. Anyone remember that legend RPG?

Here is the link and it looks like it is a go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...scover_updates
OK, now I'm really excited. I loved "Wasteland".

And that video was pretty funny -- loved the line "Is it anything like Angry Birds?"

/edit ok, I've never done anything like this before but I've decided to kick in some money for this project (payment is through Amazon.com, btw).

Last edited by Haldur: 03-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Haldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #957
Sparzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crag View Post
Ah, found it. It was called the SID Station.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation

Manufacturer's web address: http://www.elektron.se/

Apparently, the man who created the SID Station passed away in 2007. The company itself seems to still be going strong, at least if the website is any evidence.
I use winamp to play my music on the pc, theres a SID plugin you can get for it.
Sidplay2 but looking online you can also find mp3 adaptions.
Sparzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #958
ඟMϞTΛŁ MΛΨHMඟ

I'm 43, and my husband is 42. We both game.
My first gaming experience (aside from arcades) was Atari. I've been in and out of gaming over the years. Finally settled on PC gaming in 2005 and have not left since.
I've waited so long it seems for Skyrim to come out. Since Oblivion I hoped that there would be another and waited and waited for any hint of it being a reality. I swear I had tears in my eyes (of joy) when they finally announced it.
I've taught my almost 3 year old boy how to duel cast already.
ඟMϞTΛŁ MΛΨHMඟ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #959
bobczes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ඟMϞTΛŁ MΛΨHMඟ View Post
I'm 43, and my husband is 42.
Isn't that sort of robbing the cradle?
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #960
superdog_5678

A little help, plz.

Anyone have any idea where to get help on Skyrim freezing during transitions. So far my online searches haven't yielded anything useful and my email to B might as well have been an appeal to mythic gods. The game is becoming unplayable and that is sad.
superdog_5678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V