Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
_Pyke_

Jamestown won't launch

I'm having the following problem:

When I try to launch Jamestown the game doesn't start up and displays the folowing message:

loadlibrary failed with error 193: %1 is not a valid win32 application

Anyone else encounter this or know what to do to resolve the issue ?

Weird thing is: I get exactly the same error when trying to launch Revenge of the Titans

Thanks
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
ChimmyChanga

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486 possibly?
ChimmyChanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
_Pyke_

Thanks but it's not that.

There is no entry of revengeofthetitans.exe in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ because it is launched from steam.
_Pyke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
t3h_r3d_d3v1l

Have you verified your game cache? I used to get a similar error on Audiosurf because the .exe was corrupted. And I doubt it would solve the problem, but you could try launching it manually. Navigate to /steam/steamapps/common/jamestown/Jamestown.exe
t3h_r3d_d3v1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
_Pyke_

100% verified

When I try to launch from the .exe it says that I either need to launch through steam or have steam running and be logged in (which I am)

I don't think this is a problem specific to Jamestown, it has to be something wrong with my PC since RotT gives me the same error, I just can't phantom what
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
t3h_r3d_d3v1l

Is RotT on Steam as well? It seems like Steam Overlay might be having issues communicating with some of your games. If you have time, you could try re-installing steam (you don't have to re-download all your games, theres's a way to save them. See the last set of instructions.)

Before you try that though, delete your ClientRegistry.blob. This causes steam to verify a few of it's own files while it rebuilds it's registry. While it may not fix your problem, it's just good troubleshooting advice for Steam issues.

Sign out of and shut down Steam.
Navigate to your steam folder.
Delete ClientRegistry.blob
Launch Steam, sign back in.
Click the Steam Menu button (very Top Left) and hit Check for Steam Client Updates

If that doesn't fix it, you can try re-installing Steam. If you have the free hard drive space, you can save your games so you don't have to re-download them again.

Optional: Unistall Jamestown and RotT (Assuming RotT is on Steam. Even though they're verified, if they're having issues and you've got extra time may as well be extra sure the files are good.)
Sign out of and shut down Steam.
Navigate to your Steam Folder.
Make sure you have to copy your games. Check the size of your steamapps folder. (If you have alot of games this could quite a bit of space. My steamapps folder is 85+ gigs for example.)
If you have enough free hard drive space, copy your steamapps folder to someplace OTHER than your steam folder (Anything in the base folder will get deleted. This may take some time.)
Unistall and re-install Steam.
Sign in and then out.
Move the contents of old steamapps folder into your new steamapps folder.
Sign back in.
t3h_r3d_d3v1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
_Pyke_

Thanks for the help t3h_r3d_d3v1l and ChimmyChanga, because this seem to be a really isolated problem.

Yes, RotT is on steam too.

I was mistaken though in my previous answer. It was RotT that said that i needed to launch trough steam. If I launch Jamestown via the .exe I get the following error:

Jamestown: Jamestown.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\system32\atioglxx.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I press Ok and I get the same:
loadlibrary failed with error 193: %1 is not a valid win32 application

I tried your first fix with no result. I'll hook up my external HDD tomorrow and I will reinstall steam.

I'll report back with the results.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
_Pyke_

Thinking about it maybe that DLL file is causing all the troubles.

I looked it up and other dll files starting with ati.....dll are from my video drivers. So i presume that atioglxx.dll is too.

Hmmm the file seems to be 0 bytes, that can't be good. I'll reinstall my video drivers & report back
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
_Pyke_

Reinstalling my drivers did the trick

It was that atioglxx.dll being corrupted, or non-existent is the better term, all along.

Thanks a lot for the replies, or I would have never known to run the jamestown.exe from the folder

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown