Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
infuriated

Unregister a game

I bought Empire Total War from Amazon about 2 weeks ago and then bought Empire and Napoleon Game of the Year Edition from Steam a few days ago.

I was just toying around with the Amazon purchase trying to see if it is like Rome TW and Medieval 2 Total War that I also bought from Amazon. That is to say whether they can be played independently without registering with Steam.

My original Steam account was created for Shogun 2 game and just to make sure that the new game is not registered under that account I created a second account and logged onto it in internet explorer. And as soon as I entered the key for the Empire game it automatically registered that game with my Shogun 2 account without warning. I don't even know where that came out since I was logged on under my new account. Maybe because it was internet explorer instead of Steam application.

It was like a zombie jumping on me. out of nowhere. I even disabled the automatic log in feature for Steam app.

Now I have 2 redundant games for the same title and cannot give away to someone else unless I also give up Shogun 2 or give up the new purchase that has the complete Empire and Napoleon Collection.

I have not yet activated the Empire and Napoleon Collection yet.
In fact I bought them as "gifts" planning the "gift" was going to be to myself. It was just for some unforseen possibilities.

Is there a way to separate the two games into 2 different accounts? or restore Empire TW as unregistered. I have not yet played Empire TW yet. In fact it was in the process of updating the game with patches when I realized what was happening.

I asked this question at Steam Support but nobody is answering.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Technogeek1994

Entering a key will automatically add it to whichever Steam account was logged in in the Steam application.

Two questions:

1. Was Steam open in the background while you added the key through IE?

2. How did you add the key to your Steam account through IE? I didn't think it was possible to add a key outside of the Steam application itself.
Technogeek1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
infuriated

I am sure that I was not logged onto my original account in Steam App but not 100 percent sure. But I was on the purchase page under my new account in internet exlorer and I thought if something happened it would register under my new account.

I have not yet activated the Empire and Napoleon Collection. Are the components individually installed? In that case I can just register everything else except Empire with the original account and the problem is solved.

Oh also... with an amazon purchase you enter a key when the installation app asks for a key just like a regular boxed version of a non-steam game. So I thought it would be like M2TW or RomeTW which worked like that. I did not even know it was associated with Steam because there was no mention of it when I purchased them.(my pre-caution of logging onto a new account was for "just in case" and it turned out to be worse than "just in case".)

Last edited by infuriated: 12-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.
infuriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Technogeek1994

It appears only Steam Support can help you.

They will reply eventually, but at the moment they have been receiving a constant flood of Holiday Sale/Great Gift Pile tickets, so it may take a bit longer than usual. They have fixed situations like this before. Just make sure you don't play the game that was installed to the wrong account.

How long ago did you submit your ticket?
Technogeek1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
infuriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek1994 View Post
How long ago did you submit your ticket?
About 2-3 days ago. More than 48 hours ago, so it alarmed me.
infuriated is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips