Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
fivealarm

Exclamation Do not purchase EVE on Steam.

I played Eve for a short time when it launched and dropped it pretty quickly. Many years later the $7.00 account sale seemed like a good opportunity to see what the game is like these days.

Boy am I disappointed. The Steam distributed version of the game is a problem ridden waste of time:
  • It will not install properly.
  • It will not update properly.
  • The repair tool does not work.
  • Steam distributes massively outdated client files.

Based on what I'm finding in my search for solutions, these problems are long running and haven't been fixed yet. I have extremely low confidence that they ever will be fixed.

TL;DR If you're interested at all in the game just purchase/download it at the eve online homepage. You'll save yourself a big headache.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
MrShooter

Yeah, it's not so good. I personally haven't had any install issues any of the times I downloaded it through steam, but it is pretty much always out of date, requiring the eve patcher to waste a ton of time updating it.

I'm not sure from your post if you've already discovered this, but you are provided a CD key for the game when you right click it in your library and select "View game CD key". You can use this key to create a new account on their website, and download the client directly from eveonline.com, avoiding any issues with steam. So it wasn't a total waste of $7.

The steam version of EVE is really just a completely unmodified (and outdated by one expansion) regular client awkwardly downloaded through steam and placed in the steamapps/common folder. If you care at all about steam, just copying and pasting the normal downloaded eve online client from program files into this folder should result in a working "steam version" with steam community helpfully keeping track of how much of your life this time vampire has taken from you so far
MrShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
maxton0600

As MrShooter said Steam version of EVE is outdated so after installing you need to launch the game and it will ask for update which can take up to 1 hour and half on DSL connection. However everything should work fine without any errors or bugs. If it doesn´t then there is problem in your software/hardware, installation or either patch that could have been damaged during download (sometimes happens).
maxton0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
T@T-2-MoNk3y

by all means buy eve through steam, but use the CCP client, not the steam client to play the game.

(all accounts are made with CCP - it doesn't matter where you brought the game)
T@T-2-MoNk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
indidae

Steam runs behind on the updates yes, but i purchased it on steam, then downloaded the client from eveonline.com your account is the same, download there
indidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Boe-Os

Nothing wrong with using Steam as a point of sale. Just be sure to use the official CCP EvE client, If you want the Steam Overlay just add it as a non steam game =)
Boe-Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
natranr

I never had any trouble with EVE client through steam. it updates when I log into the game and thats fine for me.
natranr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
b00tsy

Whiners, there is nothing wrong with the steam version. The only thing is that you need to run an update after the original install. Besides that, there is no difference between CCP client and Steam client, it's the same client and updates always goes through the EVE updater when you launch the client, not steam.
b00tsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Empa

theres no problem at all with EVE and steam, i used it for a long time now.

fivealarm is just dumb.
Empa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Arthor

Steam is just a gate way and not even a platform for EVE...when you click on EVE on Steam you then are taken too the CCP server as if you didn't have Steam. And EVE updates/patches itself when you log in (if you have auto update on in Steam turn it off). All Steam does is let your friends see you are playing it or not.
Arthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Xsis

Update your : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
Should enable the eve online update when you open eve afterwards. worked for me
Xsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Kartrel

Don't you also have to be always connected to steam when you want to launch the game, or have they done that part correctly?
Kartrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Lonegnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartrel View Post
Don't you also have to be always connected to steam when you want to launch the game, or have they done that part correctly?
If you install the CCP client, you don't need steam at all to play Eve, even if you did buy it on Steam.
Lonegnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
MPGeorge

I looked at this game today, spent 2 hours on the trial version and am glad I didn't buy this game today.

This game needs major improvements on the tutorial guide before it can be seen as playable.
MPGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
b00tsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGeorge View Post
I looked at this game today, spent 2 hours on the trial version and am glad I didn't buy this game today.

This game needs major improvements on the tutorial guide before it can be seen as playable.
You got stuck doing a tutorial mission?

Anywho, besides the ingame tutorial missions everything is well documented on the EVE wiki and there are tons of guides made by players and there is an ingame help channel where you can ask everything. Then again, if you give up this quickly then EVE might not be the game or you.
b00tsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online