Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Montyleeny15

I'm considering buying this game!

Hi all, as the title refers, I am considering buying this game through Steam and since there is no 'Demo' feature available as of yet, I want to know what the game is like. I personally have not played the game and I am quite familiar with the LOTR lore, and am quite a Tolkien fan myself.

What I want to know is, what is the game like? Is it an open-world game like Skyrim where you can simply go around killing, levelling up etc, or are zones instanced and will there be missions to complete? If anyone has ever played LOTR: The Third Age, would the game appear to be similar to the mechanics there?

Can you play as any character and level them up, or is it a one-time choice? I'm quite eager to play the game, and I'm kinda uneasy about the bad reviews of the game, nevertheless I like playing any game with a Fantasy theme. :-)

Hope I'm not bothering you lot!

-Mont
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
jpnole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyleeny15 View Post
Hi all, as the title refers, I am considering buying this game through Steam and since there is no 'Demo' feature available as of yet, I want to know what the game is like. I personally have not played the game and I am quite familiar with the LOTR lore, and am quite a Tolkien fan myself.

What I want to know is, what is the game like? Is it an open-world game like Skyrim where you can simply go around killing, levelling up etc, or are zones instanced and will there be missions to complete? If anyone has ever played LOTR: The Third Age, would the game appear to be similar to the mechanics there?

Can you play as any character and level them up, or is it a one-time choice? I'm quite eager to play the game, and I'm kinda uneasy about the bad reviews of the game, nevertheless I like playing any game with a Fantasy theme. :-)

Hope I'm not bothering you lot!

-Mont
Yeah! Just like Skyrim! Go for it!

You can read even more about the similarities to Skyrim in the Metacritic reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/th...r-in-the-north

Last edited by jpnole: 01-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.
jpnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Montyleeny15

Okay, but I heard that you can only swift travel to locations? I don't really like that, and I prefer to walk through certain areas to get to my destination; it's more fun that way. It's not totally an open world, is it? Does it really follow the same open-world planning as Skyrim where you have the choice of either getting to your location, e.g. Bree by foot or swift-travel?
Montyleeny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
ONe mOMENT

You really didn't read that review did you Monty. If you had, you would realise jpnole was, joking.

Its liniar, its point to point with little exploration if any. You have hub towns, and then an exploration area to go with the quests and story. once done, you have either a conecting travel section or straight into another hub town.

You can revisit any of the areas you have gone before, but its all map travel to the start of the area (unless you haven't completed the area then it takes you as far as you have been untill you have it completed).

There are also challenge areas, waves of mobs come at you, you last as long as you can or bail out when you think you wont make it.

Skyrim and this are nothing alike, ones a straight laced Fantasy RPG, while the other is a co-op action romp in tolkins gardens.
ONe mOMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Montyleeny15

Okay, but are these areas large and difficult to play?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
theblackfrog

the game is like diablo, but short and not that good. i still enjoy it, but thats just me and i paid 40 bucks for he xbox version. u have 3 difficulties(?), normal, hero and legendary or so. theoretical u can play through the game as often as u want.
the game got bad reviews coz the pc conversion sux
theblackfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Montyleeny15

I'm surprised people are discouraging me from buying this game. :-P Is WitN really that bad?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
ravage386

I have only been able to play 15 minutes since I got it in the winter sale due to framerate issues.
ravage386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
D4t4v4mP

Quote:
I'm surprised people are discouraging me from buying this game. :-P Is WitN really that bad?
Personal opinion: the gameplay is not bad.

Combat is fluid, fast and gory. Lots of loot to collect (armor sets, legendary weapons, etc). 4 difficulty levels (2 get unlocked progressively). There's also a respec option if you messed up your stats + you can make your own potions.

Challenge missions, a few side quests and there is visual variety in the levels (frost-covered mountain peaks, dwarf mine inside a mountain, cursed tombs, etc). There are also class specific secrets scattered throughout the map that you'll need other players to spot in order to make them visible for the rest of the party.

You can also take your game online and let others join (you don't need to re-roll a char). If you are the host you can kick/invite but you can't mute. As of now there are quite a few games online also.

Finally, all dialogs/cutscenes are skippable.

I've seen users compare this to Skyrim and that comparison couldn't possibly be more pointless.

It's like comparing Diablo to Planescape: Torment. Sure, on paper, they are both RPGs but they have nothing in common.

WitN is a co-op based hack and slash game. Plain and simple. If you had played any of the previous LotR games from EA like Return of the King then you'll be right at home and then some.
Skyrim on the other hand is an open world rpg.

The problems that this game has are on the technical side. I've read that ATI users have all sorts of problems with the game; anything from flickering to stuttering etc.

I am using an Nvidia card myself and i am noticing another peculiar issue: the video settings do nothing. So, effectively minimum looks the same as maximum.

So in my mind, good game, bad port.
D4t4v4mP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
DVFVS

Wink

Quote:
Nope, it's not that bad, not by a long shot. I enjoy it. Wish it were deeper in terms of story and character development - but I suppose if it were I would enjoy it less and be a computer zombie more

I say go for it - frame rate issues? Bah. Never had any. Amd Bulldozer 8120 CPU, Win7 x64, Nvidia GTX 250, 8GB RAM. No raid drives or anything fancy, play on a 24" monitor at maximum resolution all the time.

Perhaps if I were an agoraphobic and spoke to my only friend - a pet turtle - I might complain about frame rate issues.

Aside from that last statement nothing disturbing.
DVFVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Yaakkoop

You need some patience if you end up having issues with playing it. ATI cards seems to have a lot of trouble so I wouldn't buy this unless you have a nVidia graphic card.

Setting aside other issues that I had with this game, my playthrough suffered from camera stuttering. Basically, it would stutter really hard and suddenly place the camera upwards. Toward the end I also got into an area where my fps become from 1 to 5. This got better after I played it the next day so it might have been because I had been playing it for hours.

Check the other threads for more issues.
Yaakkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
ryanl2299

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVFVS View Post
Nope, it's not that bad, not by a long shot. I enjoy it. Wish it were deeper in terms of story and character development - but I suppose if it were I would enjoy it less and be a computer zombie more

I say go for it - frame rate issues? Bah. Never had any. Amd Bulldozer 8120 CPU, Win7 x64, Nvidia GTX 250, 8GB RAM. No raid drives or anything fancy, play on a 24" monitor at maximum resolution all the time.

Perhaps if I were an agoraphobic and spoke to my only friend - a pet turtle - I might complain about frame rate issues.

Aside from that last statement nothing disturbing.
You're on Nvidia, ATI/AMD card users have issues.

To the OP, I have a hard time calling such a linear game a RPG. You get to choose your hair color and clothing to wear, but that's about it. When it comes to dialog options, it makes you seem like there are choices but all options lead back to the same path. For example, you approach a dragon and are given the option to kill it (or so you think). If you do (want to kill it), your buddies tell you it is not a good idea and you move on. It's really pointless and there might as well just be cutscenes there in place of dialog choices. The only thing they should have is a pop up from time to time asking if you would like to accept such and such side quest. Even that would not be necessary since you simply do not have to even do the side quest. My point is that the game is extremely linear. It's just a hack and slash action game with very few RPG elements. I guess if you're a huge Lord of the Cockrings fan then you may like to participate in this interactive movie, but if you aren't there's plethora of better games out there. I would've felt ripped off if I paid full price for it. IMO, it's a $5 or $10 game at the most.

Edit: Just remembered that you also may have issues with this game if you use a bulldozer processor (AM3+). Maybe the problem has already been fixed since the guy above didn't mention anything about it. Maybe it only effected certain chips or certain motherboards. Someone in the loop can chime in on that matter.

Last edited by ryanl2299: 01-10-2012 at 07:23 AM.
ryanl2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
dishymars

Also about to buy and weary since there is no demo.

I will just say that Snowblind made one of the best PSP games ever, Justice League. In that they had like 7 difficulty levels and it was great going through it over and over and over each time using the same characters that you saved from the prior completion. You didn't fully level up until the last instance and the very hardest difficulty (superhero) was amazingly difficult although all your superpowers were full at that point.

My question is is there a noticeable difference in skills and abilities so that you will actually notice a visual and visceral differnce when you have fully leveled up your characters and are playing through the hardest difficulty adversed to when you first start? Or is it simply a numerical difference. In Justtice League there was a big difference between your heroes in the first play through and after you played through several times. In addition to doing vastly more damage you also had faster attack speeds, more powerful, visually noticeable differences in your powers etc. Does your attack speed get faster in this game with different weapons or higher skills?
dishymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
dishymars

Too late, I bought it.. I'll report back how it is.
dishymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
theblackfrog

no, u dont see any difference and the difficulties are a joke....
theblackfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North