Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
quodlibet79

Question Official Maps? A terrible first impression of Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Hi.

I tried playing this game today for about one hour, and spent 90% of that time downloading custom server files, and the rest of the time realizing that the servers I joined, even though advertised as deathmatch, were playing some indescribable and unplayable version thereof in awful maps. How can I filter servers to only show official maps that are actually playing a real deathmatch mode?

Please help. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

Multiplayer tab > there is a drop down menu for downloading custom content.

If you set it all the way to nothing you will not download anything, and not be able to connect to any server running a custom map. Likewise, if they switch to a custom map, you will be kicked.

Your best bet is just to set it to not download custom sounds.

If you're in US then the closest thing you will probably find left to actual deathmatch is going to be the Loki's School of Combat. The gravity is a little bit lower and the maps have secrets you won't know about at first, but there are usually people on it. Just don't cry hack if someone is going 50-0, it could be me. =P Although I rarely play these days.

In the filter section type in "dm_" without the quotes. This will filter out all the role play (rp_) and coop (js_coop) maps. There are not many real dm games left though. If you see maps called dm_sniper or something, it's typically altered settings like one shot pistol kills, no run, uber gravity.

You're almost better off downloading Quake Live and playing deathmatch, but last I checked with that there are hardly anyone playing.

Even moreso, if you like Tribes: Ascend on facebook, they will send you a free beta key. Not trying to get you to not play hl2dm, but realistically, in terms of real deathmatch, there is next to nothing left. And what is left is either a few diehards that will completely own you, or some complete nubcakes that will cry hack when you kill them 3 times in a row.

There is one 24/7 overwatch server in Socal that is up usually, but the admins use exploits all over the place. And if you kill them with certain weapons they will glitch them out so they don't respawn (yes this game is disgustingly buggy).

My advice, play with some friends, if you can't find friends, then try to play on Loki's, if Loki's doesn't have players, then go play a different game.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
quodlibet79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2u! Tw1TcH View Post
Multiplayer tab > there is a drop down menu for downloading custom content.

If you set it all the way to nothing you will not download anything, and not be able to connect to any server running a custom map. Likewise, if they switch to a custom map, you will be kicked.

Your best bet is just to set it to not download custom sounds.

If you're in US then the closest thing you will probably find left to actual deathmatch is going to be the Loki's School of Combat. The gravity is a little bit lower and the maps have secrets you won't know about at first, but there are usually people on it. Just don't cry hack if someone is going 50-0, it could be me. =P Although I rarely play these days.

In the filter section type in "dm_" without the quotes. This will filter out all the role play (rp_) and coop (js_coop) maps. There are not many real dm games left though. If you see maps called dm_sniper or something, it's typically altered settings like one shot pistol kills, no run, uber gravity.

You're almost better off downloading Quake Live and playing deathmatch, but last I checked with that there are hardly anyone playing.

Even moreso, if you like Tribes: Ascend on facebook, they will send you a free beta key. Not trying to get you to not play hl2dm, but realistically, in terms of real deathmatch, there is next to nothing left. And what is left is either a few diehards that will completely own you, or some complete nubcakes that will cry hack when you kill them 3 times in a row.

There is one 24/7 overwatch server in Socal that is up usually, but the admins use exploits all over the place. And if you kill them with certain weapons they will glitch them out so they don't respawn (yes this game is disgustingly buggy).

My advice, play with some friends, if you can't find friends, then try to play on Loki's, if Loki's doesn't have players, then go play a different game.
Thank you so much for the detailed information on this. After giving it yet another try, I will move on and play something else.
quodlibet79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Ade

I ask my fellow players to report hi2u's post because we just lost a player..
quodlibet, if ur ever coming back to this thread, pls ignore that guy's post, cus when i search for non empty DM servers i do have choices on all continents and not all custom servers make you download materials and textures for a half an hour, u know!

Oh and another way to search is to go in-game and in the Find Servers window you check 'Simplified list'; you will notice that the list starts with an image for each map and the first items are the maps you already have on your hdd, so the rest of the new maps will have different image with a down arrow (for download) in them and they're easy to avoid.

Now the Simplified List can be buggy or is just slow when loading so many servers, so just hit the stop refreshing button if you already see your maps in the list;
Do use the other filters when it's not simplified; for eg 'ping lower than 150' and 'has users playing' and even sort them by type of play, cus the non dm servers may have for eg 'co-op' in description
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

I'm not telling him not to play, but perhaps you could list the servers you are talking about? I recommended a worthwhile server that has close to stock settings and typically has people playing.

BTW he asked for actual deathmatch servers without all the custom files. Maybe you are not aware that all those "sniper" maps make gravity either as high as possible or low as possible as well as modifying damages.

I'm not sure what servers you're seeing, but I said nothing inaccurate. You get rid of rp_, js_coop, sniper maps, high-kill_low-grav-killbox, then you're left with maybe 2 servers with people.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Ade

OK so I went on this crazy trip specially for u!

I live in Romania (which is in Europe) so what u see below are IPs with map name and MY latency; all verified for no additional download of any kind, no BOTs either like on Loki's, all were non empty of course, all had not only dm_ maps, but standard valve maps with standard gravity (PS: you can go to Tabs, select Do not include and input 'gravity', in order to remove the servers which have lower or higher grav) played today, 4th of Jan 2012 at my 6 pm, which is GMT+2.

So notice all the filters I added and look at aaaall these servers I've come up with:

Code:
63.215.74.195:27015 	dm_lockdown	210
72.5.250.26:27017 	dm_underpass	179
72.5.250.25:27015	dm_steamlab	168
46.50.150.235:27015	dm_overwatch	174
94.125.245.115:27082	dm_overwatch	151
178.72.83.76:27080	dm_overwatch	187
78.36.207.227:27016	dm_steamlab	142
86.57.151.28:27119	dm_runoff	115
78.36.235.227:27016	dm_powerhouse	112
213.184.238.34:27010	dm_lockdown	89
89.20.158.29:27016	dm_steamlab	93
217.199.218.178:27028	dm_steamlab	86
81.9.16.186:27014	dm_resistance	77
89.207.176.134:27016	dm_lockdown	76
188.134.8.29:27030	dm_runoff	96
77.111.200.150:27017	dm_overwatch	48
195.122.135.215:27015	dm_lockdown	55
46.228.195.187:27015	dm_powerhouse	49
46.228.195.25:27015	dm_overwatch	44
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
j@ff@cek$i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2u! Tw1TcH View Post
And what is left is either a few diehards that will completely own you, or some complete nubcakes that will cry hack when you kill them 3 times in a row.
You are so correct about that. The chat makes the game feel like Combat Arms 2.0: doing well is hacking. I used to like this game a lot: it had a somewhat different vibe compared to other DM's, and the weapons (especially things like the gravity gun and the AR2) is what makes it a completely different experience.
j@ff@cek$i is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Deathmatch