Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Tavajigen

An open letter to Dan Dixon

Dear Dan Dixon,

I'm Matteo from Italy and this is my first post in Steam's forums. Please excuse me for my poor english.

First of all I want to say that this game is really awesome. I'm still a noob in playing, but i like very much trying to do everything is possible in the game. One of the dream of my life is to be able, in the future, to write a sci-fi book, and maybe I'll use Universe Sandbox to elaborate new "star systems" where I'll set my story. :P

But

Please, explain to me the meaning of the two achievements "Startup Too Many" and "One Year". I know that some achievements in Universe Sandbox want to "prove" the attachment to the game, but I think that the others (Startup Kilo and One Month for example) are really enough to prove it.

I'm one of the "100% achievements maniac hunters", this is because when I buy a game I like to play it in all of its parts: all missions (primary and secondary), all secrets, all achievements. In my life I've collected some very difficult achievement, but in all of them I had to play to get them, not only waiting like in these two in Universe Sandbox. To get a difficult achievement I must play at my best, this is the sense of it in my opinion. I don't know if in your past you already played games for over 300 hours, here on Steam you can see that I have almost 300 hours in Fallout New Vegas + all the DLC and I have done everything in the game; how could I get over 8700 hours in Universe Sandbox? I have to play it for my entire life? There's no meaning for this, and if there is, please explain it to me. :P

Now I make to you a proposal: eliminate these two achievements. If you want you can put in the game others achievement, really difficult if you like, but concerning the way of play, and not the time of playing.

If you are in trouble with the few users that already got these two achievements, I can say that:

For "One Year": all the users that have it are cheaters, because until end of april 2012 noone could have unlocked this achievement.
For "Startup Too Many": the few that have unlocked it without cheats (but staying all day opening and closing the game) surely still miss One Year, and they'll miss it for a long time yet. So if you'll say that you'll eliminate both of them these users will be simply happy, trust me.

My letter maybe seems to be a critic to the game, but really, it isn't; if I could write in italian I could choose better my words and I could be "less direct". I like the game and because of this I'd like to see it "complete". In my opinion when a game developer chooses which achievements put in his game, he has to think also to gamers like me, that is really mad about getting 100% achievement. I call it "respect for the consumer", that is the base of commerce.

I wouldn't like an immediate answer from you; I'd like to know that you'll take some days to think at this matter, and then you'll explain me the fact, obviously if you'll want to do it.

Thank you for the patience in reading this long post, I'm really sorry for my english.

Greetings from Italy

Matteo

P.S.
The letter is for Dan Dixon, but obviously every user can take part in this thread.
Indeed I'd like also to know what other users think about this question.

Last edited by Tavajigen: 01-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Michael1971

Banned
Achievement "One Year"

An accurate simulation requires a lot of time.
Michael1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1971 View Post
Achievement "One Year"

An accurate simulation requires a lot of time.

The game that I've played for the longest time in my life is surely Diablo II.

Doing an estimate I've played it for 3-4000 hours, divided in 4-5 years, and playing it for the most of the afternoon and of the evening (I was a student that didn't study so much ).

How can I get 8700+ hours in this game? I have a work, a family, and sorry: I haven't the possibility to leave my computer on all day running Universe Sandbox, as someone is certainly doing to get the achievement.

So, I don't think to have the possibility to ever get this achievement in my entire life. I don't think that this is fair.

Why have I to cheat to get achievements on Steam? I don't want to do this.
Tavajigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
These are all very fair points. I don't even have these acheivments. Turns out I'm not an "100% achievements maniac hunter".

I'm open to removing these two achievements. Any objections?

Last edited by Dan Dixon: 01-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Dan Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dixon View Post
These are all very fair points. I don't even have these acheivments. Turns out I'm not an "100% achievements maniac hunters".

I'm open to removing these two achievements. Any objections?

When yesterday I opened the forums and I saw that the developer of Universe Sandbox directly answered to gamers my face turned to: O___O

Because this is the first time in my life that I see a thing like this, that is a really devotion to own work and to the users of own product. I've never seen a game developer answering.

So thank you for the answer and for the helpfulness in making changes.

I really hope that all gamers will agree with this change.

(p.s. I'm helping my english with an online translator )

Last edited by Tavajigen: 01-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
McDrewbs

I don't see why they should be removed. Maybe include an achievement that takes less then a lifetime would be more appropriate, but removing them just because manic achievement hunters have to have all achievements and if they can't achieve them, must have them removed.

If your life is too busy to get the achievements, oh well, but that shouldn't make a difference as to whether the achievements are there or not.

Difficult achievements means something else to aim for when everything else is done.
McDrewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDrewbs View Post
I don't see why they should be removed. Maybe include an achievement that takes less then a lifetime would be more appropriate, but removing them just because manic achievement hunters have to have all achievements and if they can't achieve them, must have them removed.
They shouldn't be removed, this is only a proposal. We could change them in something other, really difficult if you want, but not impossible like these.

Quote:
If your life is too busy to get the achievements, oh well, but that shouldn't make a difference as to whether the achievements are there or not.
Lifes of all of us are too busy for these achievements, do you understand what's the meaning of 8700 hours of play in an only game?

Quote:
Difficult achievements means something else to aim for when everything else is done.
I totally agree with you, but this is another issue: I'm not "complaining" about the difficulty of the achievements, I simply love difficult achievements. I'm talking about the meaning of these two. We can't get them proving our skill in playing, but only waiting.

A difficult achievement usually remains blocked until the gamer becomes very good in playing; only at that level the gamer could get it.

With these two achievements we haven't to prove our ability, we only have to wait with the game open for a lot of years.

Edit: now it's late here in Italy, so I go to bed. I'll answer tomorrow, goodnight.

Last edited by Tavajigen: 01-04-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
abort_user

you can remove them. however, i just thought these were long term achievements. you shouldnt be able to get all the achievements all at once.
abort_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abort_user View Post
you can remove them. however, i just thought these were long term achievements. you shouldnt be able to get all the achievements all at once.

Surely, indeed there are already other achievements for which we need to play for a long time. For example to get One Month we have to play for about 750 hours. If we play at Universe Sandbox for an hour every day we need 2 years to get it.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
pijankengur

Universe Sandbox honestly has the best and worst achievements I've ever seen in video games.

Best? The Code, The Answer; two achievements that are just awesome.

Worst? Play for a year, Startup 10000 times.

I don't think removing them is the answer though, there are plenty of people who are likely working their way towards them and will be disappointed with the waste of effort should they be removed. Myself included.
pijankengur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijankengur View Post
Universe Sandbox honestly has the best and worst achievements I've ever seen in video games.

Best? The Code, The Answer; two achievements that are just awesome.
I agree.

Quote:
Worst? Play for a year, Startup 10000 times.

I don't think removing them is the answer though, there are plenty of people who are likely working their way towards them and will be disappointed with the waste of effort should they be removed. Myself included.
Are you "likely working" on them? LOL, so these achievements don't have any meaning for the game and the playing, as I said before.

A question for you: at this moment how many hours have you got in "likely working" at Universe Sandbox? And when did you buy the game?

Last edited by Tavajigen: 01-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Vangkao

If those two achievements are to be removed, then they should be removed with the Stellar Update that is in the pipe for this year. But they should be replaced with new achievements, something suitably hard to do but in a way that requires actual thinking. Perhaps creating the solar system from scratch? This makes me think of the great Carl Sagan quote: "If you want to make an apple pie, you must first create the Universe".

Another idea would be to create fictional simulations of worlds/solar systems. I've always had a fascination with Hal Clements' 'Mission of Gravity' and the planet Mesklin. While simulating the planet itself is a a bit out of the scope of US, simulating the 61 Cygni A system is a lot of fun.

Those are just two examples, I bet we could come up with some crazy hard ideas for replacement achievements if we think about it.
Vangkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Tavajigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangkao View Post
If those two achievements are to be removed, then they should be removed with the Stellar Update that is in the pipe for this year. But they should be replaced with new achievements, something suitably hard to do but in a way that requires actual thinking. Perhaps creating the solar system from scratch? This makes me think of the great Carl Sagan quote: "If you want to make an apple pie, you must first create the Universe".

Another idea would be to create fictional simulations of worlds/solar systems. I've always had a fascination with Hal Clements' 'Mission of Gravity' and the planet Mesklin. While simulating the planet itself is a a bit out of the scope of US, simulating the 61 Cygni A system is a lot of fun.

Those are just two examples, I bet we could come up with some crazy hard ideas for replacement achievements if we think about it.

I totally agree with you.

Your ideas are great, because to get your two achievements we need to be skilful in gaming.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Tzekelkan

I also agree with their replacement with something else, that adds to the game, rather than just being there. I don't mind incredibly hard achievements, I probablywon't get them... but I think just requiring to have the game running for a long time is unimaginative.

Universe Sandbox is a very creative game, but for it to be a great game--just like anything that is great--all its parts must show equal effort and polish. Just like when you read a book; the story may be fantastic but you would still be in your right to complain if the pages weren't numbered.
Tzekelkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzekelkan View Post
Universe Sandbox is a very creative game, but for it to be a great game--just like anything that is great--all its parts must show equal effort and polish...
This is very fair criticism.

We're working on a major free update due out later this year and will be addressing the achievements at that time.
Dan Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox