Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
phc

Constant freezing and sound loops

Hey new to the forums, but I seem to be having problems when I play. The game freezes and it plays the same sound over and over again. Sometimes it unfreezes but it freezes again seconds after. I'm not really sure what to do and if i play zombie mod, it will freeze all the time. Can anyone help?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
ChocOrange

The 'stutter' bug has been around for ages... so many have it... still waiting for a fix.

HPE?
ChocOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
phc

=/ so theres really no solution? And what does HPE stand for?
phc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Overclocker_

Hidden Path Entertainment. The ones Valve contracted to update the game. Like they did with Turtle Rock Studios.

TBH, if Valve gave the same amount of attention to CS:S that TF2 gets, the game would be perfect.
Overclocker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Lazeee

I've recently started getting this (2 days ago)
Lazeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
langer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocOrange View Post
The 'stutter' bug has been around for ages... so many have it... still waiting for a fix.

HPE?
UMMMM no its started the last 2 patchs
langer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
dragndrift

It comes and goes for me, sometimes it wont happen for weeks then all of a sudden every 30 sec to 2min I get about a 3/4-1 sec lag/stutter/freeze then I can play again, when its bad I just quit and try later....real fun when you want to play and literally cant
dragndrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
GFUNK

...so there is no fix for this problem yet? having the same issue.
GFUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
EyTschej

I found this via Steam search. Actually, Google also finds many discussions on this sound bug ... erm ... I mean ... sound "feature". After all this time, I guess it's fair to say, that sound freezing is a feature of CSS.

Anyway. While I was doing research on this issue, I came to find that a registry entrance should be changed. Something network related. I did that, connected to a server - and had constant freezing due to sounds being played AGAIN. So there goes that possible solution ...

If only there was a way to simply deactivate sounds in CSS. But then again, this also wouldn't be a real solution. But something really bothers me: I've set fps_max to 61, but my net_graph shows 100+. The game seems to ignore my custom setting and works with a default fps_max 300. The same goes for the rate value. If the game ignores client settings like that, maybe that's also somehow related to the sound issue? Maybe there is nothing we can do at our end, because it's simply a programming error?!?

Needless to say: Back to CS 1.6 once more ...
EyTschej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
EyTschej

I've done a lot googling and testing. My working theory now is: Sometimes, a sound causes a sort of network jam. Since this wasn't an issue in the past, it's obviously some problem that came up with some patch during the last year. So the solution obviously isn't client side, there is nothing we can do. Valve would have to roll back to a version from early 2011.

However, the same issue occurs with CS, but not as heavy as with CSS. So maybe it has to do with some Steam patch rather than with a CSS patch. The issue mostly occurs when "new" sounds are being played i.e. sounds that haven't been played during the current gaming sessions before.

So what seems to be the connection between a "new" sound being played and the network card being overloaded? It's probably because the netword card and the soundcard are both using the same "road" and this "road" gets blocked when both cards cause too much activity at once. New sounds or simply several sounds at once as well as server data coming in -> "traffic jam".

Disabling sound might solve the problem, but then again: CS has worked perfectly fine since its beta days, so why should we suddenly have to start playing without sound?!? So this is not an acceptable solution, obviously. What else comes to mind?

Well, for one: I don't really need those sounds announcing which team has just won. I also don't need those stupid adminmod plugin sounds like "headshot", "x minutes remaining", "one", "two", and so on. If there was a sort of filter for sounds, that would be great. Only radio commands by players, shooting and walking sounds - that's all you need, really. Especially being able to disable those unnecessary adminmod plugin sounds would be very welcome. If these sounds are not being sent from the server to the client, there would be no network jam.

Does anyone know if it is already possible to deactivate adminmod plugin sounds? That would drastically minimize the problem for now ...
EyTschej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
GFUNK

I've found this problem only occurrs on some servers...
GFUNK is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source