Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
NobleJms

Unhappy Skyrim destroying my career and real life...

These days when I go back home I immediately go for my PC and immerse myself in the world of Skyrim. When I am working (I work at an investment bank), I have two monitors and always have Steam's Skyrim forum open on one of them.

Thanks to the worsening economy, we don't get too busy nowadays and everyday I spent a few hours just browsing the forum or reading some strategy guides on how to level up my character. Needless to say, I always have all these stuffs minimized, so in case my boss decides to sneak up behind me, I can close my browser immediately.

When I am in the board room in one of our weekly meetings, instead of thinking about profit targets and stock prices like I should be doing, I think about how many potions I need to brew tonight and where to travel to in Skyrim.

I took a two-day vacation last two days, which combines with the weekend is actually a four-day long weekend. My colleagues asked me if I did anything or travel to any place interesting. I told them I spent some quality time with my family, when in fact I was chilling in Riften and Solitude but was too ashamed to admit this to my colleagues.

I feel like the stronger my character is getting in Skyrim, the faster my real life is falling apart. Anyone feels the same way?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
CiNCEi

lol nice story bro xD i didn't experience the same, but something similar several times in my life. the worst thing was world of warcraft which i played on beta and directly from day 1 on. this really destroyed my real life for a short period of time. just played the first 2-3 months after release but i ended up with playing about 14 hours a day. damn.. i'll never do that

since then nearly no game got me so much into it that it could destroy my real life (exept warhammer online which was the same for 2 months as wow directly from release and rift beta). as you see these are only mmorpgs.

but regarding skyrim. skyrim also got me quite hard into the game. i'm thinking most of the day about my last days progress and i'm playing at least 3 hours a day. sometimes up to 7-8 hours a day. this is pretty impressive for a singleplayer online game and i haven't experienced such a thing besides these mmo's in any singleplayer game till skyrim
CiNCEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
IIIIGooseIIII

Real life is broken. All you have to do is enchant some jeans with +self control, drink a few responsibility potions, and then re-enchant said jeans with +self control (for added OP-ness you could also dual enchant +work ethic), and you'll be alright.
IIIIGooseIIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Orcsdoitbetter

Next time you're late for work tell your boss you took an arrow to the knee.....
Orcsdoitbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
fabiostahl

If you don't play World of Warcraft, you still got a real life.
fabiostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
johng74

set up a boss key

long time retired so don't play at work but back when I did it was called a "boss key"
johng74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Care_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleJms View Post
(I work at an investment bank)
Woo, i-bank, must be rich.

Quote:
I have two monitors and always have Steam's Skyrim forum open on one of them.
The 2nd monitor for reading the TF2 trade forum?

Quote:
...and everyday I spent a few hours just browsing the forum or reading some strategy guides on how to level up my character.
Yup, it is fun learning those leveling tricks. I remember spending few hours to learn all of them. Of course, those wiki were a big help.

Anyway, in general, unless that is a MMO, it won't take away your real life. I remember my days with UO, it was like a cocaine.
------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIGooseIIII View Post
Real life is broken. All you have to do is enchant some jeans with +self control, drink a few responsibility potions, and then re-enchant said jeans with +self control (for added OP-ness you could also dual enchant +work ethic), and you'll be alright.
LOL. I love it. Thanks.

One problem though. As discussed in another thread, men in Skyrim seem to wear conjured pants, which I assume those hardcore players are wearing to work in real life.

Last edited by Care_Bear: 01-04-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Care_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
Sleepy Ben

There will be a self-help sub-forum opening shortly with a 12 step guide ...
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
frobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ben View Post
There will be a self-help sub-forum opening shortly with a 12 step guide ...
Although we can't link you to it, you've got to find it yourself.
frobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
ZakTheEvil

Quote:
These days when I go back home I immediately go for my PC and immerse myself in the world of Skyrim. When I am working (I work at an investment bank), I have two monitors and always have Steam's Skyrim forum open on one of them.

Thanks to the worsening economy, we don't get too busy nowadays and everyday I spent a few hours just browsing the forum or reading some strategy guides on how to level up my character. Needless to say, I always have all these stuffs minimized, so in case my boss decides to sneak up behind me, I can close my browser immediately.

When I am in the board room in one of our weekly meetings, instead of thinking about profit targets and stock prices like I should be doing, I think about how many potions I need to brew tonight and where to travel to in Skyrim.

I took a two-day vacation last two days, which combines with the weekend is actually a four-day long weekend. My colleagues asked me if I did anything or travel to any place interesting. I told them I spent some quality time with my family, when in fact I was chilling in Riften and Solitude but was too ashamed to admit this to my colleagues.

I feel like the stronger my character is getting in Skyrim, the faster my real life is falling apart. Anyone feels the same way?
Escapism. You may have obsessive personality and tedious repetitive job that doesn't provide you with much outlet for your inner self. Me too. Have you ever felt like this about other games? I "lived" games many times before.

In my case, it was the career that was messing up my life. I've been resisting promotions for years. I don't need more money, I need more time for myself. I'd rather play computer games and ride my bike than waste my life away in a cubicle.
ZakTheEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Jano Ris

And so begun the great economic crisis caused by skyrim.
Well the world ends 2012 anyway...might as well spent my time only playing skyrim.
Jano Ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Neocane

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIGooseIIII View Post
Thanks for the "lol!" Goose!
Neocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
ZakTheEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano Ris View Post
Well the world ends 2012 anyway...might as well spent my time only playing skyrim.
Do you know what month? I want to make sure I finish Skyrim before the world ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano Ris View Post
And so begun the great economic crisis caused by skyrim.
Yeah, except now the banks will have something to blame: "no, no, no, it's got nothing to do with greed, predatory business and cheating, it was caused by our employees spending too much company time on Skyrim forums."

Last edited by ZakTheEvil: 01-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.
ZakTheEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
CiNCEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcsdoitbetter View Post
Next time you're late for work tell your boss you took an arrow to the knee.....
hahaha nice xD
CiNCEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
NobleJms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakTheEvil View Post
Escapism. You may have obsessive personality and tedious repetitive job that doesn't provide you with much outlet for your inner self. Me too. Have you ever felt like this about other games? I "lived" games many times before.

In my case, it was the career that was messing up my life. I've been resisting promotions for years. I don't need more money, I need more time for myself. I'd rather play computer games and ride my bike than waste my life away in a cubicle.
Well yeah I totally agree with you. I'm making more money than most people my age but work more than 12 hours a day. Thank god I'm not married yet, otherwise I'll have no time for myself at all!

I certainly feel more fulfilled when I finish quests in Skyrim and other great games than completing projects at work. I envy you guys who has a 9 to 5 job, that's 4 more hours of Skyrim than I have...
NobleJms is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V