Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series

Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
chbingle

Playing all Unlockable Factions?

can someone please tell me how i can play all the unlockable factions without having to destroy them all in the campaign (which didnt seem to work anyways). When i did the way of changing the file and moving some of the unlockable factions to the playable factions i must have done something wrong and basically had to reinstall the whole game lol. any ideas or specific steps of how to do this easily for a noob like me lol. thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
JK_DC

It would be easier to get a mod to do it. Go to TWCenter.com and find a mod that interests you. I have Stainless Steel and KGCM and they unlock the max that the game can support.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
postm00v

Follow this path :

Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

There will be a file called descr_strat.txt

Open this, and put the faction(s) you want to play in the 'playable' row.
Remember to FIRST make a BACKUP of the descr_strat.txt file, in case something goes wrong.
postm00v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
chbingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by postm00v View Post
Follow this path :

Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

There will be a file called descr_strat.txt

Open this, and put the faction(s) you want to play in the 'playable' row.
Remember to FIRST make a BACKUP of the descr_strat.txt file, in case something goes wrong.
I did it and it worked great. But then i tried to play again and it didnt launch the game. If i reboot it will work for a bit but not forever. Any ideas what i can do ?
chbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
postm00v

Are you sure you removed the faction you wanted to play from the 'unlockable' row ?

For example, if I want to play as the Byzantine Empire, I go to the file, copy and paste the Byzzies in the playable row, then delete them from the unlockable row.

Just to be safe, make sure the row is correctly alligned neatly under eachother. I don't know if it matters if you don't do this, but better safe then sorry.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
chbingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by postm00v View Post
Are you sure you removed the faction you wanted to play from the 'unlockable' row ?

For example, if I want to play as the Byzantine Empire, I go to the file, copy and paste the Byzzies in the playable row, then delete them from the unlockable row.

Just to be safe, make sure the row is correctly alligned neatly under eachother. I don't know if it matters if you don't do this, but better safe then sorry.
yep. Did all of it and its wierd because itll work after a reboot but after a log out of the game and try to get back in it wont work. its so wierd.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
postm00v

Actually, I had the same problem as you did. After a reboot everything was fine again.

Don't know what causes this.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
v1c7r1x

If you have problems after modding a file, it would be helpful if you'd post the files contents, so other people can check it for possible errors.

However, to just unlock the playable factions, a more appropriate way should be to add the following to 'medieval2.preference.cfg' (located in M2TWs main directory):
Code:
[misc]
unlock_campaign = 1
Normally there should be no [misc] section present, so just add the above to the end of the file. If there already is a [misc] section, just add the 'unlock_campaign = 1' line to that section.

I haven't tested this though, as I'm still on my first installation and have played the short campaign to properly unlock the factions.
v1c7r1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
chbingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1c7r1x View Post
If you have problems after modding a file, it would be helpful if you'd post the files contents, so other people can check it for possible errors.

However, to just unlock the playable factions, a more appropriate way should be to add the following to 'medieval2.preference.cfg' (located in M2TWs main directory):
Code:
[misc]
unlock_campaign = 1
Normally there should be no [misc] section present, so just add the above to the end of the file. If there already is a [misc] section, just add the 'unlock_campaign = 1' line to that section.

I haven't tested this though, as I'm still on my first installation and have played the short campaign to properly unlock the factions.
; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
england
france
hre
spain
venice
sicily
milan
scotland
byzantium
russia
denmark
portugal
poland
hungary

end
unlockable
moors
turks
egyp
end
nonplayable
papal_states
aztecs
mongols
timurids
slave

end

"This is the stuff i changed in the file. I simply cut and pasted some factions to the unlocked row and it looks fine. I wrote a ticket though and got a suggestion of how to maybe fix it from the devs. But i havent been able to try it yet. But i will soon and i'll be sure to post if it works "
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
v1c7r1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbingle View Post
*snip*
egyp
*snip*

"This is the stuff i changed in the file. I simply cut and pasted some factions to the unlocked row and it looks fine. I wrote a ticket though and got a suggestion of how to maybe fix it from the devs. But i havent been able to try it yet. But i will soon and i'll be sure to post if it works "
If you copy-pasted that from the modded file, the name for Egypt is wrong, lacking the "t". I can imagine this might lead to spurious behavior, depending on how the internal faction lookup is done in M2TW. Could of course be some other problem.

Have you tried the method I posted? This should work without changing any internal game data and thus give less room for debacle.

Oh, and a more general note on Steam: if you have modded some files and forgot to do a backup, you don't have to redownload the whole game. You can make Steam re-check the games files, which will replace only the files which have changed since installation. To do this, right-click on a game in the game library, select 'Properties', in the new window select 'Local Files' tab, press 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' button. The file check may take some time during which Steam will not respond, that's normal. The redownload of the changed files will then happen like a normal update.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Pootentate

I would recommend going the mod route. I use stainless Steel 6.4 and not only does it provide playability to every single faction, but it enhances and spices up the game to no end.

If you're interested...

The "Big 3" mods and using them with Steam: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2187107

TWC Mods section: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556

You should find all the files and instructions you need to do it there.
Pootentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
chbingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1c7r1x View Post
If you copy-pasted that from the modded file, the name for Egypt is wrong, lacking the "t". I can imagine this might lead to spurious behavior, depending on how the internal faction lookup is done in M2TW. Could of course be some other problem.

Have you tried the method I posted? This should work without changing any internal game data and thus give less room for debacle.

Oh, and a more general note on Steam: if you have modded some files and forgot to do a backup, you don't have to redownload the whole game. You can make Steam re-check the games files, which will replace only the files which have changed since installation. To do this, right-click on a game in the game library, select 'Properties', in the new window select 'Local Files' tab, press 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' button. The file check may take some time during which Steam will not respond, that's normal. The redownload of the changed files will then happen like a normal update.
ok i put the "t" at the end of egyp lol. If it doesnt work ill just verify the game cache thing and prehaps pursue a mod for it, even though my modding skills suck lol. thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
LinkinMuse

When you destroy a faction in the game, you need to either lose the campaign or win it.
When I wanted to play as the byzantine I just suicided in order to destroy them, then disbanded my units until I was conquered.
LinkinMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
chbingle

ok i added a "t" to egypt and the game seemed to work a little better. But today it wouldnt let me launch the game again. i really dont know whats wrong anymore. Anything i can try?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
v1c7r1x

This may be due to the typical launcher problems, maybe it's still running in the background without stopping on its own - Steam won't allow to start Medieval 2 when that's the case. Use TaskManager to check if Launcher.exe is still there and kill it manually.
If this solves your problem, you may want to try out my replacement Launcher published in this forum, which should prevent these problems from happening. Eh, use version 1.0, 1.1 has a crashing bug which will affect most people.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series