Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Gizmondo

RO2 to Darkest Hour

Been playing RO2 for a week and I luv it. Converted MW3 player and it suits me better. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is still playing RO1 and Darkest Hour? Just picked RO1 and all the mods were included with the game. If RO1 is better, I'm hoping that people are still playing. Luved RO2 so much that I'm upgrading my PC to run the highest settings. I get 30 on mid settings and its looks and plays well.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
JR-Venom

We lost alot of DH players when RO2 came out, NOW though there all coming back saying RO2 wasnt worth the hype and DH is better. I wouldnt know as I have not wasted my money on RO2 and dont plan too.
JR-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Blue Lightning

Well, espicially tankers. RO2 is not optimized for tanking (although there are two tank types), as the creators didnt want to emphisize tanking as they did in RO1. We have almost everybody back on the JR servers in DH, that we had lost over the summer to Ro2.
Blue Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
JR-Venom

Yep the 29th server is pretty full these days too.
JR-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
Mike Nomad

Actually MOSTLY tankers.....
Mike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Praxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Venom View Post
We lost alot of DH players when RO2 came out, NOW though there all coming back saying RO2 wasnt worth the hype and DH is better. I wouldnt know as I have not wasted my money on RO2 and dont plan too.
Well I've played them all and prefer RO2 over RO1 & DH doesn't even register on my radar.

My preferences are as follows:

#1 - RO2
#2 - RO:Mod
#3 - RO1
#4 - MN
#5 - DH

I believe people are still playing RO1/DH, but just because you like RO2, that doesn't automatically mean you'll like RO1 or DH.... and vice versa, just because you liked RO1/DH, that doesn't mean you'll like RO2.... and at the same time & by my personal experience, just because I liked the RO:Mod, that didn't mean I liked RO1.

There are many similarities between each game, but enough differences to make them somewhat unique to one another.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
bonapartist

Darkest hour is just about my favorite FPS of all time. Too bad you can only get a full server every once in a while, mostly on weekends.

It's sad. RO2 stole tons of RO1 and DH players, and instead of going back to the great old games they've just stopped playing.
bonapartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Praxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
Well, espicially tankers. RO2 is not optimized for tanking (although there are two tank types), as the creators didnt want to emphisize tanking as they did in RO1. We have almost everybody back on the JR servers in DH, that we had lost over the summer to Ro2.
It's not that they didn't want to emphasize tanking, they said that the amount of time it takes to design a working tank in RO2, they could design 3 in RO1.... due to the additional animations, details, crew models, damage, etc.

That was why they only have two tanks right now, but they have said more will be coming into RO2, including transports such at Half-Tracks..... they just take a lot longer to get out the door than they did for RO1.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
Andreson

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxius View Post
It's not that they didn't want to emphasize tanking, they said that the amount of time it takes to design a working tank in RO2, they could design 3 in RO1.... due to the additional animations, details, crew models, damage, etc.

That was why they only have two tanks right now, but they have said more will be coming into RO2, including transports such at Half-Tracks..... they just take a lot longer to get out the door than they did for RO1.
Very true
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
kommandojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Not if they focused on gameplay over silly animations and graphics.
kommandojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Mike Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommandojoe View Post
Not if they focused on gameplay over silly animations and graphics.

You can always play stick graphics games.... TWI has forever provided the best graphical representations and accuracy possible. I like that.
Mike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Praxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Nomad View Post
You can always play stick graphics games.... TWI has forever provided the best graphical representations and accuracy possible. I like that.
Indeed.... I like the additional details.... they're details you don't see in other games.

BF only shows you the sights so you can shoot and very little of anything else and switching to different spots in vehicles are just your dated quick'jump like what has existed for years now.

I also remember Tripwire mentioned before the Beta that they were going to allow players to exit the tanks when damaged, etc. but the animations involved and the time it'd take for the player to get out, etc. would add even more time to the design of the tanks, thus the scuttle option that exists now.

^ Though that's just from memory and I could be completely wrong.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
realmo29th

DH is making yet another comeback as well. More and more units are participating in scrims. No matter the thoughts on the graphics and such, the game still can make for an exciting 2+ hrs of realism action. One of my platoons recently went into action vs the 25th ID and both sides had a blast. Many can't wait for the next match up. If you have a unit that wants to participate or your looking for a unit to join up with, check here:
http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewforum.php?f=113

Come join the fight!
realmo29th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
foocy.toocy

DH has bad community so just stick to Ro1.
foocy.toocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
bonapartist

Bulls*** Foocy.

Dh has a dedicated, wonderful community. Alot of its numbers were lulled away by RO2, and are now going back.

I'm personally VERY disappointed with Ro2, and would rather have my 20 dollars back then its unplayed entry in my Steam list. I did not like it, it was not nearly as good as RO1, let alone DH.
bonapartist is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45