Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Batabii

"This is not valid housing" vs "this housing is not suitable"

What's the difference? I have two rooms that are for all intents and purposes identical, yet one of them can't support a tenant. Why not? There's no corruption within miles...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
turtlesoup

not sure which is which, but I also noticed they use some generic messages to define improper environment or structure this way. check your lighting and materials I guess, and make sure all walls are complete. sometimes if you change block types in places that would join to form a room, it gets picky about how exactly they meet, like using an outer brick wall combined with wood platforms.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
aidalgol

I've found that you can make suitble housing "not valid housing" by putting too many chests or wooden platforms in it. (It makes it "not valid," not "not suitable.") Also, I've left out a few squares of wall a few times, and it took me ages to figure out why it wasn't even "valid housing."

I hope this info helps you in troubleshooting your housing.
aidalgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Batabii

I was sure a small wooden platform replacing a section of floor wouldn't matter.

pic

notice the rooms directly above and beside it have the same layout and allow tenants.
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
turtlesoup

pretty sure that's way under the limit for the amount of platform you can use, I would guess the middle section maybe a bit too dark, add some torches and it should work.

here's a pretty good guide to explain the boundaries
http://www.terrariaonline.com/thread...housing.74828/
Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
saurondude9

The problem there is that NPCs always need a space of solid ground to stand on at night and your ground there either has furniture on it (NPCs don't like standing in front of furniture) or is in the way of the door opening (which needs to be clear in case someone needs to get in or out in a hurry).
I think if you can move the platform underneath a piece of furniture to free up a space or extend the room sideways by a block you should be fine.
saurondude9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
I would guess the middle section maybe a bit too dark, add some torches and it should work.
Irrelevant. You can make a "room" the size of the entire screen and only need one light source, as far as I know. It only checks whether the room has one or not, it doesn't actually compare the brightness. You can even use a Water Candle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurondude9 View Post
The problem there is that NPCs always need a space of solid ground to stand on at night and your ground there either has furniture on it (NPCs don't like standing in front of furniture) or is in the way of the door opening (which needs to be clear in case someone needs to get in or out in a hurry).
I think if you can move the platform underneath a piece of furniture to free up a space or extend the room sideways by a block you should be fine.
Oh, you might have a point. I did notice the platform doesn't touch the walls, I should check into moving stuff around a little.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Batabii

yep, moving the table fixed it, oddly enough.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
CaptainDingo

In my opinion, the problem was that there wasn't enough light on the other side of the room, because the table and chair were blocking too much light, causing a dark spot in the corner.

I only say this because that room has a corner that's darker than any of the other rooms' corners (due to the chair blocking extra light).

Moving the table probably redistributed the light differently.

There's a whole guide on the Terraria site that was posted a few days ago that explains all these little nuances. Just having a too-dark spot in the room can cause the whole room to be bad.

If you're interested in testing my theory, you could set up the room again to where it didn't work and put another torch on the other side of the room and seeing if that fixes it.

It'd be better to know exactly what the problem was for the future.

Last edited by CaptainDingo: 01-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDingo View Post
If you're interested in testing my theory, you could set up the room again to where it didn't work and put another torch on the other side of the room and seeing if that fixes it.
What the hell? You're right. Putting a torch in the lower right corner changes it to acceptable. I wish the Guide would have specified that.

Anyway now I'm doing an experimental giant room. It'll take about 1000 grey brick walls.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
turtlesoup

yea if you look at the example comparing the table vs workbench, there is one instance where the light fills more of the room and makes it valid, just because the workbench is much lower. pretty cool imo that the game now uses dynamic lighting like this.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
yea if you look at the example comparing the table vs workbench, there is one instance where the light fills more of the room and makes it valid, just because the workbench is much lower. pretty cool imo that the game now uses dynamic lighting like this.
To be honest I had no idea "background" items affected lighting whatsoever (other than sunlight from the background of course).
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
gzmeboy606

well, I've just spent hours making a giant fortress, with rooms in it for my NPC's; they were all set and happily piddling about doing hee-haw as per usual and then all of a sudden I come back via the mirror and they are all missing, and have reverted to their previous abodes?

The rooms that they were in are now deemed 'not suitable' and I have changed nothing...?

This is the first majorly annoying thing that has happened outwith my own stupidity in about 45 hours of reality loss.
gzmeboy606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
gzmeboy606

Problem found: I've broken the 'Corruption limit", according to the Terraria Wiki - by using Demonite bricks as the outer walls... (correction to the correction - it wasn't the walls, but an assortment of ebonstone blocks I used to stage a dynamite explosion on top of the fortress (so I had a circle template..). I removed them and hey presto.

How was I to know? It seems this game is pretty hard to play using traditional trial and error methods.
gzmeboy606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #15
turtlesoup

yea that's a fail of the new housing check thing imo, when the query just says not valid/suitable instead of telling you which blocks are inapropriate. even if it was a bit less legible they could have just added those exceptions like insufficient lighting/area/proximity, then we would at least have a clue.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria