Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bulletstorm

Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
chrismonster555

Game will not run

When I launch it on steam it just repeatedly says "Preparing to launch Bulletstorm..." which goes away and comes back over and over.
I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling: GFWL, Physx, etc etc etc.
Reinstalling and verifying cache for bulletstorm do nothing.
No splash screen or anything.

Have gfwl installed and updated and logged in properly.
Have tried moving physx dll's to folder manually.
There is and has at no point been sys32 or sys64 nxcooking.dll or whatever it was.
There is no Bulletstorm folder anywhere in or under my documents or user (i.e. no config encrypted or otherwise).

How do I make this work before I decide to demand a refund, since apparently the creators and distributors can't be bothered to make and sell a working product as they are expected to?

Obviously this has nothing to do with hardware or my hardware drivers.
I am on Windows 7 64-bit Professional and got the game from Steam.
Firewall and other background software (you know what I'm talking about) I'm running has nothing to do with it either.
Game doesn't give any crash or error or even splash screen. Again, just "preparing to launch" over and over.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
cybersteel8

Having almost exactly the same problem as you mate, also running Windows 7 x64 but Ultimate edition instead (shouldn't make a difference though)

I get a small Bulletstorm splash screen for about 5 seconds, then the screen goes black momentarily as if the game is about to load, then it goes away and everything is back to normal, as if I never started running the game.

I restarted my computer thinking it had to do with the fact I had just installed the game, but it didn't make a difference. I haven't done anything else right now (no PhysX reinstallation, nothing done to GFWL or whatever it's called) but I'm waiting for a comprehensive tutorial on wtf is going and step-by-step instructions on how to troubleshoot and fix.

NEED A STICKY ON THIS SUBJECT!
cybersteel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
cybersteel8

I fixed my issue by going into Programs from Control Panel, and uninstalling Games for Windows Live (and the Marketplace). Then I went into steam/steamapps/common/bulletstorm/install/Live and reinstalled GFWL with the executable there. Worked immediately after that install completed.

I believe some people have had PhysX issues so if you uninstall PhysX completely and reinstall it using the PhysX installer provided in the bulletstorm/install/PhysX folder MAYBE it will work, I don't know.

Good luck buddy.
cybersteel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Fetch

I had the same issue. Windows 7 64-bit.

Installing the Games for Windows Live client from here fixed the problem (for whatever reason, installing/reinstalling the Games for Windows Live client that came packaged with Bulletstorm didn't work):

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/downloadclient
Fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
iinverno

Hey, I am having the same issue, i have tried both methods above with no success. I have also tried launching other GFWL games through steam with the same issue. Any ideas?
iinverno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
$eanP

Mine won't start either. I am also running win7 64.

-I've deleted all local content and re-installed
-Uninstalled physx and gfwl and reinstalled different versions
-tried runas admin as well as every compatibility mode option while launching directly from the .exe

I don't even get the bulletstorm splash screen I just get the "preparing to launch game" and then it closes. There is not even a process running.

I've looked all over the place and I have not heard of a solution.
$eanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
$eanP

Finally started working for me.

The only thing I did differently is that I deleted the last folder I could find with any files left over from the previous install - this ended up being an old save.

I don't know how this would have fixed the issue but I've seen mention of this in another post as well.

Hopefully helps someone else too.
$eanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
mr.ioes

Bulletstorm, GFWL and the store page

TL;DR: The store page claims that this game is playable in SP without GWFL, which is not the case.

It would be nice if it would be noted on a more obvious location that this game requires GFWL.

Yes it tells the user (on the store page as well as ingame) that GFWL is a necessity in order to play online, but this is a lie. You need GFWL to start the game, even in Singleplayer.

It probably wouldn't have affected my purchase but I am jarateed as hell that I was lied to and need to sign up for this bs as it took me about double the time of writing this post and I am still not finished with creating my account.

related link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99810/
Picture of the unskippable GFWL notice: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...206?tab=public

/rant /criticism

Last edited by mr.ioes: 01-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.
mr.ioes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Sir_Brizz

Take this as a lesson learned. Every game released since 2011 started that uses GFWL requires you to log in to GFWL to play.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
mr.ioes

Funny thing is, I can't even register a new GFWL account.
I get this error message everytime:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2806/gfwlb.jpg

So I am dependent on MS support now? God ...

But good to know @Sir_Brizz. Seems like GFWL is a must-avoid from now on.

Last edited by mr.ioes: 01-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
SiMMENS

Another GFWL hate thread, it sucks some people have problems with it but I've never experienced any issues and I like getting the gamerscore. I agree that Microsoft should have done a better job with it though especially considering they are trying to push LiVE in with Windows Ocho!

Last edited by SiMMENS: 01-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.
SiMMENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
ozgeek

Hmm. Strange because I never have any problems with GFWL and I have over 10 GFWL games on my Steam.

I can't understand what error that is. What does it say?
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
jasonbecker83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
Take this as a lesson learned. Every game released since 2011 started that uses GFWL requires you to log in to GFWL to play.
well his problem is that the store page says online play which is a "lie" because in order to be able to save your game you need to be signed in (and that's the common rule for most of the gfwl games)

The only game that I know that works without signing in Gfwl is fallout 3 where you can play without even adding the cdkey to your gfwl account.

btw be careful with some gfwl games as you can buy them on steam but then you may not be able to play them due to "heavier" region locking.
jasonbecker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
mr.ioes

Managed to get an account now after the sixth try. Hell if I'd know what caused that error.
Well said jasonbecker, but you can't even get past the intro screen without logging into your GFWL account, which is what jarateed me off. Singleplayer is not available at all without GFWL and that's not what was advertised on the store page. For MP I play games like dota/tf2, couldn't care less about Bulletstorm's MP.

Never again.

Last edited by mr.ioes: 01-08-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Hulahoop

Create an offline profile and play. No need for GFWL account or email address.
Hulahoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bulletstorm